Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When i was 6 I couldnt sleep so I went out into my front room where i found my parents watching Stargate Sg1. They let me stay up and watch it from then on every wednesday, havent looked back since.

Daniel: The Others would have stopped you.
    Jack: They'd have a hell of a fight on their hands...
    Daniel: You wouldn't do that...
    Jack: Ba'al would be dead...
    Daniel: Jack...
    Jack: ...And don't think I'd stop there!
    Daniel: You're a better man than that...
    Jack: That's where you're wrong!

Comment

Channel surfing because I was bored and to behold I changed channel to Sky one and it was on,so i decided to watch it(dew massive bordum) and was hooked.

Comment

I had always liked science fiction and thought nothing could top Star Trek, especially ST:TNG. But as each new Star Trek program came along, my interest in ST waned. (I think what finally put the nail in the coffin was the addition of Miss Eye Candy, 7 of 9-----if the stories are good you don't need to resort to that kind of cheap trick....Whoops, I digress!)

Fast forward to last summer......my son had become a serious SG-1 fan and watched them whenever they were on tv. Gradually I started watching them too. A bit hit-and-miss at first, but when I finally started paying attention to what was on the screen, I became hooked. (There are still a number of episodes I haven't seen yet, so Monday night has become "catch up" night. Any phone calls go straight to the answering machine!)

The things that really kept me coming back week after week were the chemistry between the actors; the dry, slightly offbeat humor; the well-written, intelligent stories ( the writers of SG-1 seem to take ideas that have been done before----time travel, alternate realities, earth-threatened-by-bad-guys, etc.---- and actually do them better, deeper and more intelligently than anyone else).....and the acting is in a class by itself. It's brilliant ensemble acting! What's not to like?!? Consider me hooked.

Comment

I saw the movie on cable some time in the mid-1990's, and loved it.

I was vaguely aware of the existence of the series, but I only had basic cable at the time, and I was on the road a lot, so I figured it wasn't worth the expense to add more cable channels when I was only home a couple of nights a week. So the series dropped off my radar screen...

...until a few months ago. I was home alone one Monday evening, and decided to channel-surf. I saw that something called Stargate SG-1 was being shown on the Sci-Fi channel, and that there were several episodes being shown back to back... I thought it looked interesting, and sat down to watch. By the end of the block of episodes, I was programming my Tivo.
          I'd start a revolution if I could get up in the morning.

Comment

I discovered Stargate SG-1 in sometime in 1998 when it went into syndication. I remember hearing about it before but it just on Showtime at that time, and I didn't have Showtime. But, I have heard about this sci-fi show with Richard Dean Anderson, and I really like Richard Dean Anderson being a huge fan of MacGyver, and all. So, I was interested in seeing the program. When it finally went into syndication, I was thrilled. But, the TV scheduling was never consistant, and I kept missing the show. Finally, one day was able to sit down, and watch Stargate SG1. The very first episode I saw was A Brief Candle, and I really liked the episode, and thought this could be promising. So, I started paying more attention to the times of when it came on. The episode, though, that really got me hooked was Torment of Tantulus. This episode was like nothing I have ever seen before on TV. Story was absolutely brilliant with finding of lost history records of the Gate, and the whole Heliopolis thing. I was truly impressed with the visual affects of that pedistal with the hologram of the elements. Also the whole concept it was a 'true' universal language was truly brilliant. That's also when I fell in love with Daniel Jackson. Fire and Water is when I discovered Michael Shanks is such a talented and brilliant actor. Not to mention, very handsome as well.

I didn't truly get into it, though, until Sci-fi Channel got the series, and that's when I paid even more of an attention. What was great was when Sci-fi Channel started the Stargate SG-1 marathon on Mondays. That was great 'cause then I could get caught up on what had been going on in the series. Then, I started buying the DVD's.

Now....I got Seasons 1-7 on DVD. I got Season 8 on VHS. And, impatiently waiting for Season 9. Also, impatiently waiting for Season 8 on DVD. Not to mention, I watch on Sci-fi Channel and syndication eps. I can't get enough.

sigpic
            Follow me on Twitter! I'm on Facebook!

Comment

I was skeptical when the commercials for the show began. I saw they had a good budget. i saw it was based on a movie I didn't especially enjoy. And so I wasn't hyped. I saw Mcguyver was in it so I thought I'd give it a shot. I was a fan for a while, didn't miss an episode for a long time. Then two things happened simultaneously. One, I started working later on Friday nights. Two, the show started to suck. So I left it to fall by the wayside. My mom stayed a fan. One monday my girlfriend (you might know Hex), sat and watched with my mom and myself. It was a summer monday nothing better to do, so there it was. Then my girlfriend went back to school and became a fan of the show on sci fi. And then on Fridays she needed to see new episodes and I went ahead and watched them with her. And now, here I am. On the forum cause she ended up on the forum and encouraged me to join. So yeah. I'm a fan again, after a four year sobatical. All kinds of crazy stuff has happened in my abcense. I'll be honest I like it better now than the season it began with.
              ~Teddy
              "When I started school it was considered a miracle for an ass to talk, now I'm not so sure." ~Anonymous

"I do not agree with what you say, but I defend to my death your right to say it." ~Voltaire

"Like Broadway, the novel, and God, feminism has been declared dead many times" ~Katha Pollit

"I'm a feminist and I don't care who knows it." ~Me

Comment

I saw the movie and quite liked it. A few years passed and then I saw they were going to show a series based on the film do I tuned in to see if I liked it.
                Saw COTG and thought "Seems like an ok series. Don't have anything else to do this time every week so I might as well see more."
                Watched the entire first season and then waited for season 2 to start up. I waited and waited and waited but still the season never started.
                Apperently the channel that showed the series here in Sweden decided to stop airing it after the first season despite having the airing rights up to season 3. (I know, they're evil. Evil I tell you!!! )

I gave up hope of ever watching it again but I never could let go of that cliff-hanger at the end of season 1.
                I think more then 4 or 5 years passed until I finally discovered the series was out on DVD and that the first 5 season box sets were sold at half the normal price. I thought "Why not?" and bought them all at once.

After watching all 5 seasons in one week I thought two things:
                1) Really great show! Have to see more. Guess I'm hooked...
                2) I hate TV3 for not continuing to air this great series. How dumb are they?

Comment

Teddy alluded to part of my story above but it had been building for awhile. I saw a movie on TV with James Spader looking at this nifty puddle thing and there was something about travel....but I didn't get to watch the whole thing. I saw commercials for this show called Stargate SG-1 that looked really interesting, but I wasn't around to watch it. But the name stuck in my head. Then I sit down with my boyfriend's mom one monday night because she loved this show that was on, and I was completely hooked.

I came in right at the end of Need, and the scene between Jack and Daniel was so poignant, and then I found out it's a sci-fi show where they go to other planets and it has really cool characters, and that clenched it. I immediatly netflixed the entire series (which I firmly believe is the only reason I survived that particular semester) and obsessively taped the the most recent season at the time. And then I came here, so Stargate is a definite addiction.
                  And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
                  Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
                  Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
                  Daniel: Oh! You see?
                  Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

I got started on stargate because of my Grandparents. We usually enjoy the same kind of series. I'm not that old, but the first scifi series I ever watched was 'Sapphire and Steel'. I went to see the movie with them when I was a teenager. A few years later we heard about it, but we hate spinoffs so we dismissed it. Big mistake! They were halfway through season one when I was channel surfing one night at their house, and caught "Torment of Tantalus" at the part where Daniel's head nearly explodes. I was hooked from that moment on. My Grandmother and I are both HUGE Daniel fans because of this.
                    "And what would humans be without love?"
                    "RARE," said Death.
                    --Discworld

[Oglethorpe has built a copy of the stargate]
                    Emory: Isn't that the Starga--
                    Oglethorpe: No! It's the Fargate! It is not some other kind of gate from a movie or TV show that I've ever seen! Notice that it has a wheelchair and a pink mohawk? We're not getting sued!
                    Emory: But--
                    Oglethorpe: No, it's a Fargate! From the makers of Thindependence Day!
                    --Aqua Teen Hunger Force

Comment

I saw the movie in the theater, liked it a lot, then saw in TV Guide there was a spin-off coming on Showtime. Wonderful! But I don't get cable...so I envied everyone who had it and got on with my life. Then it made its way to syndication and I saw the episode where Sam finds out her dad has cancer and I became completely hooked. I HAD to find out what happened to Jacob. Now I own seasons 1-7 of SG-1 and because I still don't have cable, I have a friend tape SG Atlantis for me. And my whole family is addicted now. In fact, my three year old asked me the other day when he saw me me leaning back in my chair, "Mommy, you releasing the drones?"

Good sci fi is about special effects. Great sci fi is about people.

Comment

I'd seen the movie and was a MacGyver fan. When I'd read in a TV Guide that those two would become one in a new series, I thought "Hey, that looks pretty cool."
                        And it was.
                        O'NEILL: For all we know, Daniel could came walking in that door right now.
                        [Cut to shot of the door]
                        [Cut back to O'Neill]
                        O'NEILL: Any time now.
                        [Cut back to door]

Comment

Saw the movie when it first came out and really liked it - but I was on the road traveling with a music group when SG-1 started and one night in 1999 after being injured when our bus was run off the road and turned over I was awake late and turned the TV while channel surfing I came across the episode "Solitudes". When I stopped touring the next year I checked to see if Stargate SG-1 was still on and what channel so I could make sure I had got the satellite package with the proper channel. Then I purchased the DVD's as so as they became available to get caught up on what I had missed.

Now I turn fellow teachers and students into Stargate fans.
                          My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

I started off when I went with my parents to see the movie in theator. I was intrested it. Then I saw that it was being made into the series, I was intrested-but living out in the country and not having cable- I forgot about it. Latter on when it made the jump to synication, I saw the last 30 min of The Enemey Within durning a Father's Day lunch at Lone Star Resturant- but I had no idea what it was since I didn't see the begining. But later that summer I was able to see Politics- and I was hooked.

Both dad and I were hooked on it. As soon as the Sat paper got inside, the first thing I would do is check the tv listings and find out what time it was going to be on- typically at 4 pm on Sat afternoons. Then dad would plan on taking an hour long break from working outside.
                            Adam:"I reject your reality and subisute myown."

O'Neill:
                            "IN THE MIDDLE OF MY BACKSWING?!"

Carter:
                            "It took us 15 years and 3 supercomputers to MacGyver a system for the gate on Earth."

CARTER: You made [this]?
                            ORLIN: You wouldn't believe the things you could make from the common simple idems lying around your planet. Which reminds me...you're going to need a new microwave.

Weir: You destroyed 3/4 of a solar system!
                            McKay: Actually 5/6, its not an extact science.

Slashdot:
                            "Well railguns are neat and all, but I'm still not joining the Army until they invent the respawn point."

Comment

well... so many ppl recommended Stargate too me that i HAD to watch it. I watched one episode, became hooked, and it's now my favourite show!!

Comment

Used to watch it very casually on TV. Mainly because 'Carter was hot' (she still is of course, but know she's a kick arse character *and* hot! )
                                Then one day I decided to get the Season 1 boxset, watched them all in about 2 days, then went out and bought the next 3 boxsets as well
                                Discovered GateWorld shortly after that

Comment

Working...
                                X