This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
    Yes. Some 17 times the speed at upwards of 1 light year per minute to the ha'tak's 0.06 (Enemies). This actually makes me a little skeptical of the comparison. Given that a teltac is supposed to be cpable of twice the speed of light and the nearest star to Sol is 4.22 light years away - a lot more than the 'day's travel' proposed in Tangent at 2 light years per annum - I'm actually doubtful of every speed calculation ever given for a spaceship in Stargate.

Still, I'll buy the al'kesh matches a ha'tak for speed.
    There's a rule of thumb as these things go: Don't believe a word out of Teal'c's mouth about technology. (Not me, the big guy )

Comment

Of course, I tend towards lower speeds for the al'kesh, since otherwise it comes too close to the fast-attack/stealth infiltration role I designed the ha'kal for in my fan fiction. This is essentially because I designed the ha'kal before I'd seen the al'kesh; and then there was the al'kesh, which would have done me proud, but never mind.
      Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
      - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Teal'c
        There's a rule of thumb as these things go: Don't believe a word out of Teal'c's mouth about technology. (Not me, the big guy )
        yeah for having been the first prime of apophis he does seem to be off the mark an awful lot when it come to technology

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
          yeah for having been the first prime of apophis he does seem to be off the mark an awful lot when it come to technology
          Well, Apophis never seemed to be first with the tech, the personal shield incident and all...

Comment

Well, Apophis never seemed to be first with the tech, the personal shield incident and all...
            true but for as powerful a system lord as apophis was supposed to be you'd think teal'c would be better informed

Comment

From 'Last Stand' I get the ideia that the Al'Kesh is a huge ship, capable of carrying more than a dozen troops, besides bombs and alike.

Check this

:: How Would You Feel About Life If Death Was Your Older Sister? ::

Comment

No way is it a capital ship. A capital ship would be something like a battleship, carrier, or ballistic missle sub, relatively speaking. At most an Al'kesh would be considered a light cruiser, based on the power of its torpedos. It probably could be best compared to a large destroyer.

The Prometheus could best be compared to a heavy cruiser or light carrier. After all, I think it carries only 8 x-302's.

A Ha'tak is sort of like an Essex class carrier; Anubis' mother ship like a combination of the Yamato,(largest battleshio ever built) and a Nimitz class carrier.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenjin
                  From 'Last Stand' I get the ideia that the Al'Kesh is a huge ship, capable of carrying more than a dozen troops, besides bombs and alike.

Check this

No, all those troops were being carried by the Troop Transports, the Al'kesh seem to hold minimal troops.

Comment

I see it more as an assault transport, like the gamma and beta class shuttles in Star Wars. It has a nice fire power, which would make the use of extra bomber not neccessary, which is a plus. You can do a bombing run with it and drop a first wave of shock troops right afterwards, saves a lot of time and you can hold a small bridgehead while waiting for the troop transports.

Comment

No, all those troops were being carried by the Troop Transports, the Al'kesh seem to hold minimal troops.
                      Yeah, I guess you're rigth

(hum. the link of the pic got dead :/)
                      :: How Would You Feel About Life If Death Was Your Older Sister? ::

Comment

Nonsense. He was always first with the tech; other people just had it afterwards retroactively.

As to the use of the al'kesh to deliver shock troops, this makes sense since the Jaffa are basically all shock troops. It makes sense that an interstellar power woud rely on small numbers of terror troops. Since the ha'tak only carries about a thousand Jaffa warriors, there really is no way of transporting armies with the manpower of a terrestrial armed force.

For the same reason, Goa'uld vessels are difficult to classify by terrestrial terms. A ha'tak carries several squadrons (UK wings) of death gliders, but is also a transport vessel and carries big guns like a man of war. Its shields can withstand a volley from another ha'tak's main weapons - plot allowing - which gives it a claim to the name of battleship.

Basically, Goa'uld capital ships are multi-role vessels. Larger vessels like Apophis' super-ship seem not so much to fulfil different roles as the same ones, but going up to eleven. Anubis' "Death Star" (with Dr Evil air quotes) was the exception, being designed specifically to carry a slightly ludicrous superweapon.

But this is another discussion. On the matter of the al'kesh, Teal'c calls it a cruiser and a bomber almost simultaneously, but then see Teal'c on tech (ibid). The Other Guys seems to be the only kind of source it having for any sort of troop capacity at all, but I feel that it would be in keeping with the Goa'uld design ethos for it to house at least some warriors.
                        Last edited by Mr Prophet; 04 May 2004, 07:03 AM. Reason: added info

Comment

The Al'Kesh are some pretty great ships. Although not as great as a mothership but it serves its purpose
                          __

__

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis
                            The Al'Kesh are some pretty great ships. Although not as great as a mothership but it serves its purpose
                            Oh come on; just look at Exodus. Al'kesh vs. Ha'tak; no score draw.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                              Oh come on; just look at Exodus. Al'kesh vs. Ha'tak; no score draw.
                              Remember though, SG-1's Ha'tak wasn't even skeleton-crewed. Against a fully-crewed Ha'Tak, I think the Al'kesh wouldn't stand a chance.
                              But then again, I've played plenty of space-flight sims and I take out capital ships all the time.

Justin
                              §

Comment

Reviving a 2½ month topic, nice

My guess is that the Al'kesh is ~15-20m long. I don't see the point in the bombs though. The normal twin cannons seems to do just as much damage. And they are much more accurate :>

Comment

Working...
                                X