This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Names of Goa'uld and Asgard

Is that there original names? Or did they change them for the masses who believed they were gods?

I think it was there original names, as much of Goa'uld history fits in with ancient mythology, so im sure the goa'uld didnt change their history for the sake of the locals

Tough question, probably best left alone, because if you start looking too closely, the entire franchise stops making sense, but since you asked:

I would assume that Gou'ulds use their original names, since they still address each other with them. But that begs the question, how did SO MANY of them get to Earth at the same time? We'll have to assume that all of the ancient Egyptian ones were around during the same space of time, but wasn't Earth in Ra's empire, right up until the gate was buried in 5000BC? Why would Ra let so many of his minor rivals tresspass on his territory/slave farm?

How about the first appearances of Gou'ulds on Earth after the gate was buried? I think Set first appeared after the burial. I'm sure Yu's cultural influence appeared relatively recently too. So, they had to have arrived by ship, why didn't they retake the planet for their own dominions? Earth wasn't a protected planet then and the planet wasn't visited by Asgard nearly enough to be a deterrent.. Why would any self respecting system lord leave their stamp on the planet but not assimilate the planet into their territory, especially since no one else is the current lovable overlord?

The Asgard are probably original names too. Since they can go in and out at will, they probably influenced northern European mythology before disappearing into legends about little grey men.

Comment

I think it's probably their own names, then humans on Earth based the religions around them. I couldn't have seen Ra and Apophis sit down together and working out who rules the day and who rules the night. Same with the Asgard, they show up, do their thing and then humans give out the roles.

I think as time went on, they would make themselves fit into any belief that was already around, like Sokar coming through the Antarctic Gate and using the Christian faiths version of Hell, yet he didn't take the name of Satan or Lucifer.

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, Sokar seems to be the only exception, but the implication is that Asian & Egyptian mythology were somewhat accurate portrayals of real System Lords.
        sigpic
        "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
        ~David Hewlett

Comment

I've read elsewhere of the theory that the Goa'uld (&Asguard) had the names first and the people; 1. came up with the stories to fit. or 2. They obeserved them first hand.
          Like the story of Osiris being murdered by Set, chopped up into fourteen pieces & scattered all over Egypt to assure that Isis could never find Osiris again for a proper burial. Isis and her sister Nephthys went looking for these pieces, but could only find thirteen of the fourteen. Fish had swallowed the last piece, his phallus, so Isis made him a new one with magic (some say it was made of gold), putting his body back together after which they conceived Horus.

Comment

Working...
          X