This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by omnian
    Because otherwise Daniel would have to spend ages figuring out their language, lol. It wouldn't make for interesting television if they had to spend about half the show learning a new language would it?
    That's true of course, but it would have been nice if they'd suggested some way around it, or at least acknowledged it in someway. If you remember in Farscape they had the Translator Probe or something - it was injected into your body, presumably made its way to your brain, and then you could understand all these alien languages. I don't know how it could have been done in Stargate, but something surely. And how come the Nox are the only race we've come across not to speak English? Why were they different?
    sum ergo cogitum
    I am therefore I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
      Science doesnt disprove this, it actually proves it. We pretty much know that the universe is infinite. Therefore we know that based on all available sounds that can be made in the universe there has got to be one civilization that speaks English.
      This is part of the "the universe is infinite so everything that can be imagined happens somewhere" idea, I think. It's not true though; even with an infinite number of possible planets theres no reason to suppose English could evolve in parallel on different worlds. And the Universe may inhabit an infinite space, but science hasn't yet *proved* that; and current scientific belief is that the amount of *matter* in the universe is finite.

Madeleine

Comment

1) It's because of the limited sounds that can be created, mathematically, the sound variations of the English language MUST be recreated at least once more.

2) Are you scared of Tigers?

No.

Why?

Because you know a lot of things about them and that they inhabit Africa.

Are some people scared of aliens?

Yes

Why?

Because we know nothing about them. If people knew, I'm sure everything would be perfectly fine and the public wopuld react well.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
          It's because of the limited sounds that can be created, mathematically, the sound variations of the English language MUST be recreated at least once more.
          Not true.

I am an arrangement of atoms. There are a limited number of ways to arrange atoms. But it doesn't follow that somewhere in the universe there is an identical copy of me!

You're right that the number of sounds that can be made by the human mouth is limited, but there are an infinite array of noises that can be made by other means, and plenty more ways of communicating that other species might develop without using sound.

Even if some of the sounds of English were re-created, they wouldn't have the same meanings; it wouldn't *be* English.

And even if an infinite universe were populated with humans, there is still no guarantee that any two languages would evolve covergently. Language doesn't work like that, and nor does maths, sorry.

Madeleine

Comment

Basically it copmes down to probability. If the universe is indeed infinite, then there would be a high chance of there being another world where English was spoken. As has been said, there are only a limited number of possibilites, and in an infinite universe it's possible and even likely that it would be repeated, perhaps several times. It's simply not certain.
            sum ergo cogitum
            I am therefore I think.

Comment

Well it's not my argument, I read it somwhere it's not like I actually theorised it. And frankly because of how infinite it is, it IS possible. There would be many English-like languages but there WOULD be one english language somwhere else.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Uh...I just GOT to say something on this topic...
                I don't mind little what-if mind games, not at all, and I enjoy SG enormously...but there's one thing that always bugs me:I've read a lot of those Stargate conspiracy books, and all these writers have a really big problem: None of them actually took the time to study, for example, Egyptology...If you take years doing that, most of the "conspiracies" are actually moot. It's just not a subject you can "look up" in a few weeks and understand it.
                About the great pyramid: The inscriptions with the king's name were indeed in the chambers above the king's chamber, and they were painted by the builders of the pyramid. Of course they were not meant to be seen...tghis is a concept that other cultures also employ, the power of writing that "ordinary" people can't see. If you study the Assyrian palace reliefs in today's Iraq, you will see that they had tons of inscriptions that were just set into the walls (facing inside) for the gods to read....

I still had a good laugh when I watched the SG film and Daniel explained the inscriptions were a hoax, because that theory actually existed for a while, and it showed good research to include it in the film.
                Imhotep, btw, was the builder of the first proper pyramid, the Step Pyramid in Saqqara, in dynasty 3...Cheops/Khufu was dynasty 4.

Sorry for ranting, but I indeed studied the whole lot and got a masters degree in linguistics and Egyptology, and sometimes I want to show off my knowledge (that's probably why I like Daniel so much )

Thanks to bling for the great sig!
                Proud Hussy of Babylon (tm) and resident linguist
                ~CELLO!~
                ~Proud member of the official Dr Radek Zelenka Fan Club!~

Comment

The probability that an identical copy of English is being spoken on another word has to be extremly low. There could be identical sounds, but words with the same meanings...I wouldn't think so.
                  Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
                  Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
                  Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
                  Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
                  Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
                  Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
                  Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

Comment

If there ever was a real Stargate I'm sure they'll probably do the same they do in Stargate SG-1. They'll probably conceal it in a very highly secured area may be underground or under a mountain (like Cheyanne Mountain). May be put togther an SGC type program. May be send SG like teams through the Gate to other worlds. But, I'm sure the government will keep it very highly top secret so that the general public won't know it exists. That is, unless you are the President or you work of the government big time (CIA, FBI, Secret Service, etc.).

So, with that. If there was a Stargate, and it would be so very highly top secret that we (the general public) won't know it even exists, then how would know there even is a Stargate. Heck.....there could be a Stargate today, and we will never know about it. (though......I don't think it's possible)

Sure....us Stargate SG-1 fans may wonder if Stargate actually exists. But, who do you call? Even, if we call the White House....Capitol Hill....... they'll never tell an ordinary civilian if there is a Stargate or not. Or, may be they'll say we're crazy, and take us away to a psychie ward.

sigpic
                    Follow me on Twitter! I'm on Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by Sue_Jackson
                      If there ever was a real Stargate I'm sure they'll probably do the same they do in Stargate SG-1. They'll probably conceal it in a very highly secured area may be underground or under a mountain (like Cheyanne Mountain). May be put togther an SGC type program. May be send SG like teams through the Gate to other worlds. But, I'm sure the government will keep it very highly top secret so that the general public won't know it exists. That is, unless you are the President or you work of the government big time (CIA, FBI, Secret Service, etc.).

Sure....us Stargate SG-1 fans may wonder if Stargate actually exists. But, who do you call? Even, if we call the White House....Capitol Hill....... they'll never tell an ordinary civilian if there is a Stargate or not. Or, may be they'll say we're crazy, and take us away to a psychie ward.

Or make us call Art Bell.

They might even set up a TV show so that any one who publishes about the idea could be accused of overdosing on the TV program They might even go so far as to have a TV program inside the TV program.

Nothing like a world of mirrors!

Comment

Originally posted by Sierra Golf 1
                        I have two opinions on this subject: One as an amateur astronomer and the other as a devout SG-1 fan

#1: As an amateur astronomer, I am amazed that we havent been hit by a body fatal to either part of or all of the population of the Earth. Of all the stuff thats buzzing around up in space, sometimes I think that theres someone out there pprotecting us from it all-wether we know about them or not. Sure there's large bodies in the solar system such as Jupiter acting as "outfielders" to take away anything that may hit us (Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 could have possibly hit us I believe if Jupiter hadn't broken it up and sucked it in toward itself), but still, there is a lot that is potentially dangerous to Earths population

#2: As a fan of SG-1, I recently had a thought that Maybe the government does have something like a Stargate. They are the ones who asked a film company to make a movie and then a TV show about it, the reason being that if the public saw it in a TV show and a movie listed as science Fiction, they would automatically think that it is a crazy idea-with the exception of a few conspirators. The government took these conspirators as an acceptable risk because they know that most of the public thinks that they are either crazy or just geeks seeking attention.
                        To the second part of your post, "Plausible Deniabilty" man. That's the key to any conspiracy...
                        Ya know we should start up a real web-based newspaper "The Paranoid Times"
                        See Firstwave: www.scifi.com/firstwave
                        THERE ARE THINGS KNOWN...
                        AND THINGS UNKNOWN...
                        AND IN BETWEEN...LIES THE STARGATE

Comment

Originally posted by SGSlugger
                          Really? Where did you read that at...I'd like to read it.
                          Yeh about 80 000 000 000 000 000 000 to the power 10
                          AND THINGS UNKNOWN...

Comment

Originally posted by Storm
                            I think the government tried that with Area 51, by telling everyone it didn't exist, there was nothing there, and blah blah blah, making abi to-do about it a couple of years ago.

The problem is, I grew up in that area, and tho I honestly can't say what's there, everyone in the county know's SOMETHING is there.

Storm
                            Area 51 is where they reverse-engineer they alien tech SG1 bring back.
                            AND THINGS UNKNOWN...

Comment

Area 51? Nothing there but Black Jets. Isn't it a part of Nellis AFB?
                              The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

Originally posted by KorbenDirewolf
                                Area 51? Nothing there but Black Jets. Isn't it a part of Nellis AFB?
                                oh come on, everybody knows they got the movers in to take all that stuff somewhere else? which removal firm do you think they used?

Comment

Working...
                                X