Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this becoming Stargate SG-1: Part II!?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this becoming Stargate SG-1: Part II!?

It seems like it will be a different show entirely next year. We may not see RDA, new cast member, new enemy,.......So, my question is: do you think this show will morph into a different show completely? Will it even have the Go'uald?

Originally posted by walter_MacChevron
    It seems like it will be a different show entirely next year. We may not see RDA, new cast member, new enemy,.......So, my question is: do you think this show will morph into a different show completely? Will it even have the Go'uald?
    It will still be the same show, just an evolved version of it. All things change, SG-1 is no different. They did say they will encounter a new enemy, but I think the Goa'uld will still be there.

Comment

Originally posted by LordAnubis
      It will still be the same show, just an evolved version of it. All things change, SG-1 is no different. They did say they will encounter a new enemy, but I think the Goa'uld will still be there.
      You don't think the Goa'uld wil be destroyed do ya? WHat do you think the new enemy will be like?

Comment

Hey, look at the continuing success of the "Law & Order" franchise.

Gilder
        *wondering which is the current longest-running TV series*
        Gilder

You can contact me through my GW Forums profile (email preferred) or on Facebook.

www.chimaeracon.com

Comment

Since it is set in stone that SG-1 is going to have a 9th season, the show needs some change, imo. Status quo is getting stale. While they are at it, they need to toss in a new writer or two. I don’t see the changes as transforming the show into something distinctively different from the original. Yeah, it won’t be the same without Jack, but the addition of a new character and new enemy is not changing the basis of the show in my opinion.

Originally posted by Gilder

Gilder
          6 more years and L&O will tie "Gunsmoke", which lasted 20 seasons, but I don’t see Stargate lasting that long by a long shot.
          IMO always implied.

Comment

Don't know how accurate it is but according to this site (updated Sep, 2004)

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/proutsy/

the longest-running TV series still in production is The Simpsons with Law and Order right behind. Gunsmoke is the all-time leader but I'd forgotten how long some of these other shows ran! Stargate SG-1 is on the list at No. 106.

Name - Number of Episodes - Years
            1. Gunsmoke - 633 (1955-1975)
            2. Lassie - 588 (1954-1973)
            3. Ozzie and Harriett - 435 (1952-1966)
            4. Bonanza - 430 (1959-1972)
            5. Death Valley Days - 381 (1952-1970)
            6. My Three Sons - 369 (1960-1972)
            7. Alfred Hitchcock Presents - 361 (1955-1965)
            8. Dallas - 357 (1978-1991)
            9. Knot's Landing - 344 (1979-1993)
            10. Make Room For Daddy - 336 (1953-1964)
            11. The Simpsons - 335 (1989-present)
            12. Law And Order - 325 (1990-present)

106. Stargate SG1 - 163 (1997-present)
            Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

But that list is biased to "US production" only. Dr Who would kill those if it met the criteria

Comment

That's a different thread...

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Damn straight! Hail Dr Who! One of the legends of Sci Fi!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Agree that shaking things up seems like a good plan, however I hope the Gou'ald aren't vanquished. They're part of the meaning of Stargate, and they've had great range and flexibility as an arch-enemy over the years. It would be a shame if the writers reduced their own options by writing the Gou'ald out of the story. The Gou'ald could suffer a catastrophic loss and agree to more treaties and struggle for a while until a new tyrant emerges.

I haven't gotten into the Wraith, so I hope the "crossover" is not a decision to make the Wraith the new enemy. While the Gou'ald are over-the-top as other enemies, they have some depth in that they can draw on all the world's mythology that the audience is already familiar with and able to re-interpret. It will be difficult to come up with an enemy that's as interesting. If tptb write themselves into a corner with the new enemy, they'll need something to fall back on.

Later,
                    Graculus

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836
                      Since it is set in stone that SG-1 is going to have a 9th season, the show needs some change, imo. Status quo is getting stale. While they are at it, they need to toss in a new writer or two. I don’t see the changes as transforming the show into something distinctively different from the original. Yeah, it won’t be the same without Jack, but the addition of a new character and new enemy is not changing the basis of the show in my opinion.
                      I agree with you. Especially the part about adding some new writers. The current lot are getting spread rather thin with having to work on two shows at the same time. Plus, they are almost to close to the show, if that makes sense. Someone new, would be a step back and be able to look at things with a clearer eye. It's why professional book writers have an editor, and fanfic writers have Betas: they point out the places where things can change for the better.

I don't see that the show is transforming into something different, it's always been about a group of people called SG-1 who go off world via Stargate to explore different planets and meet new people both good and bad. Although it hasn't gone off world much recently, it's still the same show, even if the four people might change a little.

Dana Jeanne
                      Click here for the latest news on Michael Shanks

Michael Shanks Online

Daniel Fanfic Archive ~ My SG-1 Scribbles ~ My Pros Scribbles

Comment

But are we sure it's a 'New' enemy.
                        It could be the Re'Tu.

Or:

What if the 'Foothold' aliens show up.

Spoiler

Remembers the ship that attacked Prommie in 'Grace'....
                        What if that ship actually belonged to the 'Copiers'.
                        The Prommie's entire crew could be alien spies.
                        sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

Originally posted by Dana_Jeanne
                          I agree with you. Especially the part about adding some new writers. The current lot are getting spread rather thin with having to work on two shows at the same time. Plus, they are almost to close to the show, if that makes sense. Someone new, would be a step back and be able to look at things with a clearer eye. It's why professional book writers have an editor, and fanfic writers have Betas: they point out the places where things can change for the better.

Dana Jeanne
                          I´m not sure if I will next year still like the show. There were many changes in the last couple of years and the big majority of it I don´t liked at all.
                          But I agree about new writers (and directors). That could help to keep the show alive. And I could have more hope that I would actually like the planned changes as with the writers/directors who are responsible now.
                          Don´t understand me wrong. I want not that someone is forced to leave but they working on SG 1 and Atlantis and I think that they for two shows have not enough writers and directors.

Comment

Originally posted by Janus
                            But are we sure it's a 'New' enemy.
                            It could be the Re'Tu.

Or:

What if the 'Foothold' aliens show up.

Spoiler
                            Spoiler:
                            If that was the case then they have already had plenty of time to make their move!

Sorry but I can't see that one working.
                            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by nathanaus
                              But that list is biased to "US production" only. Dr Who would kill those if it met the criteria
                              His right you know Dr Who has had 26 seasons so far, and despite the last actuall production being the movie of '96 the new season next year means that it can't be counted as over, that would mean it's been running for 41 years. Wow I only just figured all that out, I've amazed myself with it though.

Comment

Working...
                              X