Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens when you put the destination Stargate through the departure Stargate?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens when you put the destination Stargate through the departure Stargate?

What happens when you put the destination stargate through the departure stargate while both are active and connected to each other?

Originally posted by The6thRace View Post
    What happens when you put the destination stargate through the departure stargate while both are active and connected to each other?
    Just a guess, but i'm guessing it would be like when two falcon punches collide

Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
    Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
    Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

Well... the WHOLE gate has to go through the event horizon before it can be transmitted so...
      IF you could get the first gate through the other gate then it would be transmitted to... itself...? which doesn't exist... thus division by zero.
      So... You have approximately 3 seconds after the gate enters the ...gate before the universe ends.
      Das guy eating vegetabbles, says 'Waock!' and nice guy obliteratio for sudden.

I always hated that saying...

Comment

2 reasons that couldn't happen:

Physics #1: You can't have two active Stargates inside the same star system.
        Physics #2: How the hell are you going to fit one object inside of another that's of equal size?
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

It's only been stated that you can't connect to a Stargate in the same solar system, one will be dominant, one will be dormant. but you could dial to another stargate, and proceed to move it by ship. You could fit a smaller Stargate like the kitchen-built one in SG1 into a larger Stargate. Thus smaller stargates can connect to larger ones. Both examples make this question theoretically possible.

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          2 reasons that couldn't happen:

Physics #1: You can't have two active Stargates inside the same star system.
          Physics #2: How the hell are you going to fit one object inside of another that's of equal size?

Comment

It's only been stated that you can't connect to a Stargate in the same solar system, one will be dominant, one will be dormant.
            Negative. "Within the Serpent's Grasp" established that when a gate is moved, it's PoO (home location, in other words) is no longer valid and a connection can no longer be made.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I don't think its really connecting within a solar system I think its more that 2 gates can't connect to each other inside of set area (e.g. a quarter of a light year squared or something maybe, probably a lot less but just an example)

So if you could bring two gates close enough to each other fast enough that the 38 minute rule isn't broken as soon as they'd reach that set distance that two gates need to connect to each other they'd probably just disconnect automagically or automatically....

Also remember in atlantis when the city was flying through space they had to reconfigure the gate to its coordinates... well id imagine that configuring the gate is what gives it that set area and as soon as it would be brought outside it that area it would disconnect regardless of if another gate was present, active, and connected to it..

And finally the ony way to do this properly would be to use hyperspace or some sort of FTL to move the gate close enough and as we've seen a gate can't be activated in hyperspace or FTL so its logical to assume that a gate can't stay active if opened before entering hyperspace either or else someone would have made use of it aboard atlantis or the destiny
              I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

I suppose it could have a Farscape Effect. When Criton and Pilot closed the wormhole to Earth by folding it in on itself.

But then again, they wouldn't fit into each other surley? One would have to be smaller.

Comment

Working...
                X