Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would happen if a small ship opens a hyperspace window inside a bigger ship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mirdin1992 View Post
    No. Its dangerous to open a window in the atmosphere because of the velocity when exiting the wormhole. This problem appears only when you take a nose dive to the planet. The Neo-Asgard in the Atlantis ep. showed you can open a hype window to a planet and the Reps fleeing the Othala showed use you can open a window from the planet.
    If its only a problem when exiting hyperspace, then presumably you can still enter hyperspace within an atmosphere and inside a larger ship?

Comment

Originally posted by RJLCyberPunk View Post
      Why would it not be possible? If a ship can open a hypersp-ace window big enough to engulf a whole giant asteroid in oder to prevent it from crashing into Earth then it is very much possible...
      What I mean if it possible of doing it inside the ship. Wouldn't it be dangerous to open it inside the ship because of the atmosphere?
      sigpic
      Knowledge is power, but how do you use that power defines whether you are good or evil

Comment

Originally posted by maylet View Post
        What I mean if it possible of doing it inside the ship. Wouldn't it be dangerous to open it inside the ship because of the atmosphere?
        As others have pointed out the presence of an atmosphere is not the problem as we have seen both the Asgard and the reps jump to hyperspace in an atmosphere as well as jump out into one. The problem is the very hight risk of collision or ending up inside a mountain itself. Remember Hyperspace is basically another dimension basically Subspace that they travel in to bend space/time to reach their destination once you reach your destination the safest point to exit hyperspace would be high orbit. The closer you get to the surface then you have mountains, buildings and so on to deal with not too mention the angle at which you exit hyperspace at as well. That's why is usually not done. Now opening a hyperspace window in a planet's atmosphere and opening one in the enclosed area of a hangar are 2 very different ballgames.
        The world hath known no greater love than this, to give one's life for his friends. John 15:34

The banning of images in SIGs suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoletsi View Post
          This reminds me of the finale of BSG...

Spoiler:

Boomer jumps her Raptor right next to Galactica and causes a load of damage... then a LOAD of Raptors jump from inside Galactica... and nada.

S1 and S2 BSG would never have been that sloppy...
          Actually
          Spoiler:
          the Raptors jumping out of the museum flight pod caused a catastrophically massive hull breech, like some giant punched the wall from the inside. Watch it again, it's a bit hard to see since there's so much going on in the scene already but it's totally there. Made me wince the first time I saw it, though not as much as what happened after the final jump Starbuck made.

As far as the hyperspace window thing whatever part of the big ship was covered by the window would likely end up in hyperspace headed to the same place the little ship was going. It's pretty likely that that'll result in a collision more or less instantly which will then probably mean the end for the little ship.

So basically the big ship will suffer pretty serious damage with the little one probably being destroyed.

I wonder why they don't have a weapon that does that, just opens portals to nowhere to take bites out of enemy ships.

Comment

As others have pointed out the presence of an atmosphere is not the problem as we have seen both the Asgard and the reps jump to hyperspace in an atmosphere as well as jump out into one. The problem is the very hight risk of collision or ending up inside a mountain itself. Remember Hyperspace is basically another dimension basically Subspace that they travel in to bend space/time to reach their destination once you reach your destination the safest point to exit hyperspace would be high orbit. The closer you get to the surface then you have mountains, buildings and so on to deal with not too mention the angle at which you exit hyperspace at as well. That's why is usually not done. Now opening a hyperspace window in a planet's atmosphere and opening one in the enclosed area of a hangar are 2 very different ballgames.
            So, having all that in mind, it would be possible, but NOT safe to do it?
            sigpic
            Knowledge is power, but how do you use that power defines whether you are good or evil

Comment

So, having all that in mind, it would be possible, but NOT safe to do it?
              Yup, that pretty much sums it up, however as I said opening a hyperspace window in the enclosed space of the hangar of oa 304 or similar ship is whole different can of worms though since as many pointed out you are ripping a hole in space/time into Subspace to travel faster than light and that happening in the inside of a ship is probably not good at all for the ship in question...
              The world hath known no greater love than this, to give one's life for his friends. John 15:34

The banning of images in SIGs suck.

Comment

They say a picture is worth a thousand words...

Unsurprisingly, the expansion and subsequent tearing of spacetime pushes everything nearby away from the hyperspace window. The question is whether this pushing force is enough to do anything to the interior of the larger ship.

IMHO, the smaller ship will be fine, as long as it doesn't hit anything before entering the window.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                  They say a picture is worth a thousand words...

Unsurprisingly, the expansion and subsequent tearing of spacetime pushes everything nearby away from the hyperspace window. The question is whether this pushing force is enough to do anything to the interior of the larger ship.

IMHO, the smaller ship will be fine, as long as it doesn't hit anything before entering the window.
                  More reason why is not safe to do it
                  sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:

Boomer jumps her Raptor right next to Galactica and causes a load of damage... then a LOAD of Raptors jump from inside Galactica... and nada.

Watch it again they blow the side of the pod wide open also its extened boomer jumped right next to the bit they were refitting

The sloppiness is in exodus though its irelevant those raptors jumping away from pegasus

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

What would happen? Would the big ship end up damaged or worse or both ships end up destroyed? What do you think could happen in such an event? I'm not talking about opening a Hyperspace window big enough to encompass both ships but just a regular one just for the small ship that is jumping to hyperspace say for a quick get away...

you ask a a really imaginative question; I'm not good at physics or other natural sciences, but you have made me thinki on the question with much fun
                      So anyone?
                      Originally posted by Supreme Commander Sil View Post
                      Spoiler:

I think there.... would... no... goodbye universe ? (YAY!!!)
                      goodbye to the ENTIRE universe--wow if that were true

Originally posted by gotthammer View Post
                      Heh. I wouldn't know. Tho' if the Talyn-starbursts-inside-Command Carrier is used as an example (and if that's anywhere near 'accurate'), then both ships go boom.
                      what are the Talyn and Command Carrier from?

Originally posted by Supreme Commander Sil View Post
                      Yeah, but starburst is different.... !
                      With hyperdrive does a ship just travel at a really, really high speed? Or does it change dimension? It could tear a hole in space if the impact is at the window ?
                      Maybe if the window is inside they could both travel... Oh, yes.In hyperspace ships can go through objects.... If it goes through the window before hitting the ship, maybe that would work .. it should work, to the best of my knowledge....
                      Now, how about if the bigger ship ....
                      I thought it changed dimensions
                      ; isn't FTL the one that doesn't change?

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                      I'd imagine an implosion or explosion
                      hmmmm which one is more likely?

Spoiler:

I forgot all about that

It's that even possible?
                      lol

Why would it not be possible? If a ship can open a hypersp-ace window big enough to engulf a whole giant asteroid in oder to prevent it from crashing into Earth then it is very much possible...
                      good point

Originally posted by angela21 View Post
                      Maybe if the bigger ship was sufficiently large enough it might be able to withstand a very small hyperspace window being opened within it.

But, then again Sam always says its too dangerous to open hyperspace windows in the atmosphere of planets, so maybe it would be dangerous on a ship with atmosphere. So, maybe it would work in a very large cargo hold with vented life support?
                      perhaps

I think the reason she says is dangerous is because you don't know exactly where you are going to pop up in real space that close to the surface you might end right in front or even inside a damn mountain. In fact the only ones that seem to have the computing power to do it in SG are the Asgard as are the Cylons in NBSG.
                      nice alternative explanation; I forgot the Asgard could uniquely do this; perhaps the Ancients, Nox, and Furling could too (and the Ori)

Originally posted by mirdin1992 View Post
                      No. Its dangerous to open a window in the atmosphere because of the velocity when exiting the wormhole. This problem appears only when you take a nose dive to the planet. The Neo-Asgard in the Atlantis ep. showed you can open a hype window to a planet and the Reps fleeing the Othala showed use you can open a window from the planet.
                      always interesting to open a hyperspace window in-planet
                      If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
                      [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

Spoiler:

That is my thought as well.

Comment

Working...
                        X