This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    that said, there is a difference between fan continuations and official, studio run continuations.

It's my understanding that the latter is what this thread is about
    'Studio run continuations' IS what I'm talking about. I've just gone further by writing my idea out into episodes. It's available to read as fanfiction, but I didn't write it as fanfiction. That's what I meant when I said I wrote it as 'canon.'

I've had several people mention that my basic idea is more interesting than the SGU premise, and my point is this...some people have said we should just be thankful for getting any new series and not quibble about the quality.

Some people have also said that the storytelling potential of stargate has been mostly used up by SG-1 and Atlantis, that the well is starting to run dry.

I refuse to believe this, and I can prove it. Hence, my concept...Return of the Ancients.

The key isn't to go a different direction and abandon precedent, its to expand on precedent(SG-1, Atlantis) and follow those threads. They don't lead to dead ends, as some people believe, but instead open up even more storytelling potential.

For example, the Ori arc didn't pigeonhole the future of stargate, it opened it up. I don't think all aspects of it were handled very well, but that's a side point. It was good for the franchise and a bold step, IMO.

SGU isn't a bold step. It doesn't add to what came before. It contradicts what came before. It is a retcon.

Spinoff series don't work if they ignore the other series. It only works if they all correlate and add to each other. Multiple aspects of ONE gigantic story.

Stargate cannot follow the Final Fantasy methodology and survive. It must have continuity.

I've shown one way to do that, and I'm willing to bet there are many others if people take the care and attention to do a thorough look at the potential of the franchise.
    Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

I think many more spin-offs are inevitable, if the fanbase continues to grow, Stargate may eventually become as big as Star Wars and Star Trek.

Comment

Originally posted by Bareassedmunky View Post
        If they were that inaccurate, then they wouldn't use them. I am aware that they aren't 100% perfect - but the biggest criticism of them I have ever heard is that they are not good at calculating the total number of people watching shows, but the percentage of the audience is still relatively accurate - so when a clear trend, such as a week-in/week-out decline in the numbers, they are still useful. The shear number of boxes out there average out any unusual activity that may skew the results so it is so unlikely that it happened to be a statistical freak.

And people complain about the later series on this forum all the time, again, this forum only represents the nerdiest of fans, but I actually think the problem is that Atlantis played to the geeks too much (overplaying McKay, having the McKay/keller crap, having every solution being a technological one etc.), so the fact that the less die-hard fans started to turn off seems much more likely to me. There is also the fact that Wright tried to bring in as many new writters as possible for Universe - because the writing on Atlantis had become very stale...it would appear he failed to do so unfortunately

Anyway, this is distracting from the point - artificially stimulating demand for a product that is not wanted is in nobody's best interest (New Deal being the exception). If Universe is not good enough, it will fail, and will deserve to fail no matter how good the preceding series were.
        they assume that they are accurate as they have a diverse range of people using them but that doenst nessecarily mean that all stargate fans would use them. while its not entirely accurate they still use it.

also those boxes dont take into account the people who watch it online, who illegally download it to watch and any others. plus im sure those ratings boxes only take into account the AMERICAN viewers (maybe canada etc, i dont know) those people mostly buy the dvds etc, MGM would still make money

i dont think they overplayed mckay, and i have no problems with mckay/keller. less-die hard fans wouldnt give a crap anyway as they as less-die hard.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
          they assume that they are accurate as they have a diverse range of people using them but that doenst nessecarily mean that all stargate fans would use them. while its not entirely accurate they still use it.
          That wouldn't explain why ratings dropped. It might explain why they would be low to start with, but not decline...but it would be a massive coincidence if the boxes happen to end up in households that don't watch stargate. Thats the whole point of using a large sample size when doing a survey.

also those boxes dont take into account the people who watch it online, who illegally download it to watch and any others.
          They want to keep the illegal downloaders happy?

plus im sure those ratings boxes only take into account the AMERICAN viewers
          I live in the UK, I don't know what the ratings are like, but SG-1 is repeated much more often than Atlantis. There may be twice as many episodes, but there are periods when Atlantis isn't on TV over here at all, but two episodes of SG-1 every weekday.

(maybe canada etc, i dont know) those people mostly buy the dvds etc, MGM would still make money
          Canadians buy more DVD's than americans?

i dont think they overplayed mckay, and i have no problems with mckay/keller. less-die hard fans wouldn't give a crap anyway as they as less-die hard.
          You may not think so, but many others do.

The less-die hard fans are the majority. They are the ones that Scyfy want to keep happy.

Anyway - ignoring any specific issues, hypothetically - if a show consistently declines in quality for several years, should you keep watching it out of loyalty?
          I don't mean to sound like a nerdy fan who talks about science-fiction like it is real, but the problem with 'clever' storylines is that they make the audience start to think, and if you put in bad science, they are more likely to notice it. It breaks the suspension of disbelief

Comment

Stargate Origin (or Stargate Begins)

I like the idea, as mentioned before me, of having a Stargate series dedicated to the Ancient in ancient time. As a fan of topical sci-fi (example of topical sci-fi: Story about human in the future addicted to genetic enhancements), I think this series would have a lot of potential. Obviously you can mix politics, straight drama, wars, adventure, etc.

This series, as mentioned, could involve the "battle" with the Ori.

Personal and societal conflict between those seeking the path to enlightenment and those ancient that don't want it.

The creation and use of new technology and their impact on the people, society, personal level, etc.

Exploration to set up their Stargate, including meeting with friendly or not aliens races.

Since the Ancients (Alterans) are somehow enlightened, it could also involve moral/philosophical dilemma.

I like this idea very much.
            Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by Bareassedmunky View Post
              That wouldn't explain why ratings dropped. It might explain why they would be low to start with, but not decline...but it would be a massive coincidence if the boxes happen to end up in households that don't watch stargate. Thats the whole point of using a large sample size when doing a survey.

They want to keep the illegal downloaders happy?

I live in the UK, I don't know what the ratings are like, but SG-1 is repeated much more often than Atlantis. There may be twice as many episodes, but there are periods when Atlantis isn't on TV over here at all, but two episodes of SG-1 every weekday.

Canadians buy more DVD's than americans?

You may not think so, but many others do.

The less-die hard fans are the majority. They are the ones that Scyfy want to keep happy.

Anyway - ignoring any specific issues, hypothetically - if a show consistently declines in quality for several years, should you keep watching it out of loyalty?
              i dont care anymore

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                i dont care anymore
                If it appears that this conversation is losing general interest, why would anybody make any more conversations? DONT LET CONVERSATIONS DIE YET!
                I don't mean to sound like a nerdy fan who talks about science-fiction like it is real, but the problem with 'clever' storylines is that they make the audience start to think, and if you put in bad science, they are more likely to notice it. It breaks the suspension of disbelief

Comment

Hmmmm...

Stargate: The Ascended

Might by fun, don't know how it would work, but it would show a different side of the Stargate world.
                  Dimmed light illuminates wearily a thousand skyscrapers of concrete, glass, shattered imaginations and severed dreams. Urban structures of brick and steel extend tendrils of decay and neglect into an aging embrace of irreverence, moving forward into synthetic joy.

Comment

Stargate Columbo - Each week Peter Falk investigates a homicide on an alien world and is assisted by a rich and powerful Goa'uld who he eventually identifies as the murderer. Goa'uld confesses and thanks Columbo because he couldn't deal with the stress of covering up his crime anymore.

Comment

Assuming cable tv is even around in 5 years i think SGU has set up endless tv shows in the format of Atlantis season 1. Any of the galaxies seeded with stargates will have sent biographical data back to Destiny, and by extension earth. All that is necessary for a new show is for one of these networks to have something intresting worth risking the stranding of an expedition. An alien outpost, a city, etc.

Theres also the opportunity to do something earth based like sg1. There are several globular sattelite galaxies around the milky way in range of a low power 8-symbol address. Who knows? The next show we could be following the adventures of SG2 in a whole new (semi local) setting.

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                        There are several globular sattelite galaxies around the milky way in range of a low power 8-symbol address. Who knows?
                        They'd of had to mention it before now - to do that after 15 years would feel like a bit of a heavy handed retcon.

But there is no need to set it outside the milky way - there are plenty of stories still to be told here

Comment

Working...
                        X