Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see Stargate as a underground boys club, Star Trek is a multi-cultural icon. Brad Wright and Robert Cooper have to go all in for Universe and if it fails thats probably it for the franchise (and the movies) they don't have the capital and resources to start a new series 5 years from now and their personal relationship with MGM is only going to go so far however there has been several hints of Universe already renewed for a Season 2.

there is an article here written in July about SyFy wanting the next Space Opera and speculate it could be a new Star Trek series.

http://trekmovie.com/2009/07/08/syfy...rek-tv-series/

I think Star Trek will be back on TV eventually the movie was a summer blockbuster it rebooted the franchise much like Batman and still two more films are on the way but I can see the new series having nothing to do with UPN and Rick Berman and more with SyFy and J.J Abrams specially with Lost coming to an end.

- Christine

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
      not so much, apparent atlantis rating were dropping, if universe continues, they will assume there is no more money in the franchise and stop it, how many times have fan petitons and protests actually vbrought back a tv show
      Atlantis ratings dropped because the quality dropped. Would you really prefer to see the franchise continue with low quality writing?

I'd rather see the franchise die now than continue in poor quality.
      I don't mean to sound like a nerdy fan who talks about science-fiction like it is real, but the problem with 'clever' storylines is that they make the audience start to think, and if you put in bad science, they are more likely to notice it. It breaks the suspension of disbelief

Comment

Originally posted by Bareassedmunky View Post
        Atlantis ratings dropped because the quality dropped. Would you really prefer to see the franchise continue with low quality writing?

I'd rather see the franchise die now than continue in poor quality.
        thats a matter of opinion. i personally loved atlantis, and so did a lot of other people. more people liked it than disliked it.

Comment

thats a matter of opinion. i personally loved atlantis, and so did a lot of other people. more people liked it than disliked it.
          Ok then...why did atlantis's ratings decline?
          I don't mean to sound like a nerdy fan who talks about science-fiction like it is real, but the problem with 'clever' storylines is that they make the audience start to think, and if you put in bad science, they are more likely to notice it. It breaks the suspension of disbelief

Comment

SG- Exadus

the story of the anciants and there war with the ori prior to leaving theere home galaxy. the jurny to earth and the commissioning of the destiny and the founding of the stargate network

Comment

I think the thing I'd most like to see is an Origin of the Ancients and Stargate story.
              This show would show as others may have mentioned the original development of the Alterrans and Ori as one race, we eventually see the Ancients leave to come here, maybe witnessing any locations they traveled to on their way to coming to the Milky Way.
              It could be that such a series should be split into three sections, so make it a full Ancient history, with conflicts in the Ori home galaxy, then any troubles the Ancients had when coming like the Plague, so it'd probably have to be short episodic glimpses of parts of their history leading up to their war with the Wraith and eventual final ascensions.
              Along the way there can be shots of the Alliance whenever and however that came to be and we'd get to see their relations with the other advanced races.

Another show I'd like to eventually see is perhaps one that's created after Universe has ended, that shows Earth dealing with the fallout of revealing the Stargate Program to the general population, maybe not all warm and cuddly, but proper problems like religious factions on Earth having trouble coming to terms with our Origins, but maybe eventually everyone uniting to deal with some massive Wraith onslaught and rapping it all up with some huge war against the Wraith.
              This latter series could be set a few years in the future, to allow Earth top start developing some proper defenses and a decent sized fleet.

These ideas may not be all that original but there just what I'd like to see.
              Maybe even a series that raps up all the lose ends the writers have left hanging out there like unexplained races (Tollan, Furlings, Nox, Fire and Water race, Ashen).
              Even an Asgard Origins story would be cool, perhaps seeing the Tollan and what led to their isolation.

There are so many possibilities with all the things left hanging out there, just from SG1 alone, that could make for some very good stories and perhaps before writing them TPTB could create a forum or use part of Gateworld to make up some polls, let the voices of us fans be heard son that they could give us what we want.

Comment

TBH I'm not entirely sure, I know that some fans think the show did make a few mistakes with stories like the Asuran ark, killing off Weir and not focusing in on the Wraith more, but the last series had some good episodes, I know the ratings that decided Atlantis's fate would probably have been taken from series 4 and that could have been part of the deciding factors, TBH I don't even know whether the show did badly in series 3, 4 or 5 for that matter.

Anyway maybe this is a topic for another thread, but I thought I'd voice my thoughts on the matter.

Comment

I have one idea at the moment.

Stargate: Downfall
                  After the events of SG1, SGA, and SGU the stargate program has been disclosed, and since then a new golden age started for mankind. Now, 200 years later, The Terran Confederation has become a corrupt and bureaucratic nation, and after several terrorist attacks the military takes control of the government and imposes martial law. This series follows a group of people, including the former president, and a Colonel who left the military in protest after the coup, as they try to fight the military junta and reinstate democracy.
                  sigpic

Comment

because the people using the ratings boxes stopped watching, and thats only a small part of the demographic of stargate.

my family had one of those boxes, it got annoying quickly to press your number to say you were watching, we just used to turn it off or press that no one was watching....so those things arent accurate

also didnt they move atlantis to a different time slot, that annoyed people.

Comment

because the people using the ratings boxes stopped watching, and thats only a small part of the demographic of stargate.
                      If they were that inaccurate, then they wouldn't use them. I am aware that they aren't 100% perfect - but the biggest criticism of them I have ever heard is that they are not good at calculating the total number of people watching shows, but the percentage of the audience is still relatively accurate - so when a clear trend, such as a week-in/week-out decline in the numbers, they are still useful. The shear number of boxes out there average out any unusual activity that may skew the results so it is so unlikely that it happened to be a statistical freak.

And people complain about the later series on this forum all the time, again, this forum only represents the nerdiest of fans, but I actually think the problem is that Atlantis played to the geeks too much (overplaying McKay, having the McKay/keller crap, having every solution being a technological one etc.), so the fact that the less die-hard fans started to turn off seems much more likely to me. There is also the fact that Wright tried to bring in as many new writters as possible for Universe - because the writing on Atlantis had become very stale...it would appear he failed to do so unfortunately

Anyway, this is distracting from the point - artificially stimulating demand for a product that is not wanted is in nobody's best interest (New Deal being the exception). If Universe is not good enough, it will fail, and will deserve to fail no matter how good the preceding series were.

Comment

I don't believe that Stargate's potential is drying up. There is a HUGE amount of story potential, people just don't see it.

I'm currently writing a fanfic called...

STARGATE: RETURN OF THE ANCIENTS

I'm up to episode 12, so this is quite a bit more than a one paragraph explanation of a new series. It uses both SG-1 and SGA characters with a collection of actors rather than just focusing in on a foursome. If this were made into a TV show, you wouldn't have a regular cast, save for Stevenson, and the actors wouldn't have to deal with a repetative shooting schedule because they wouldn't all show up in each episode. It would be a part-time deal for them.

Also, this series wouldn't create more plot holes...it would fix existing ones and tie SG-1 and SGA together more than they are now, (IMO SGU is non canon BSG wanna be) because it takes old concepts and old technology already seen in previous episodes and intertwines them. The Repository of Knowledge especially.

I've written the episodes as canon, not fanfic. I know the possibility of this storyline actually becoming a series is about the same as RDA not being sarcastic at least once per episode, but the point is to show the potential that the franchise still has.

Here's the link.

http://www.fanfiction.net/community/...ncients/68490/

If you think stargate's potential has dried up, read the pilot episode and see if you still think that way. TPTB's writing skill may have dried up, but not the franchise's potential.
                        Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

interesting, but not on topic for this thread.
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                            interesting, but not on topic for this thread.
                            I beg to differ. This thread is about whether or not the franchise can support multiple spin-offs. If the quality is not up to scratch with the current series, and I'm not saying it isn't, I have yet to see it - but it has been suggested that fans should support it even if it is not, than that directly affects the future success of any spin-offs.

Whether or not fans will blindly support a series that does not meet the standards of a TV show today has a direct impact on whether or not there is likely to be further spin-offs of the show. This is not only on-topic...it is actually at the heart of the topic.

Comment

that said, there is a difference between fan continuations and official, studio run continuations.

It's my understanding that the latter is what this thread is about
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                                that said, there is a difference between fan continuations and official, studio run continuations.

It's my understanding that the latter is what this thread is about
                                My apologies, I thought you were referring to the other aspect of the discussion that was going on

Comment

Working...
                                X