Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It uses alien technology obtained by the intial Stargate mission from the movie. Amoung the artifacts discovered on Abydos is the 'head gear' of Anubis (the dead soilder of Ra, not the half ascended fellow) which disappeared into seemingly thin air. The artifact was brought back to Area 51 and reverse engineered to create the Iris which can fold back into seemingly nothing.

It was built and tested, but never installed because they only thought the gate could connect with Abydos, and they buried their Stargate. When the program was restarted (as result of Apophis' attack) the Iris installation was completed.

Comment

3. How does it work? Is it just coiled up within the stargate? Like a spring? But how does it fit!?!!?

I really dont think in reality that anyone could make this work the way it does here. There's no way that it could retract into nothing. There is no room in the gate itself to hide such a large object.

So I guess in the same way the Ra's guards armor dissapeared when retracted, the Iris does the same thing.

Some form of technology that we must accept exsists without an explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by KayMan2k
        It uses alien technology obtained by the intial Stargate mission from the movie. Amoung the artifacts discovered on Abydos is the 'head gear' of Anubis (the dead soilder of Ra, not the half ascended fellow) which disappeared into seemingly thin air. The artifact was brought back to Area 51 and reverse engineered to create the Iris which can fold back into seemingly nothing.

It was built and tested, but never installed because they only thought the gate could connect with Abydos, and they buried their Stargate. When the program was restarted (as result of Apophis' attack) the Iris installation was completed.
        Wow I never thought of that.. those horus guards that made there headgear dissapear! Nice one.. atleast thats a temporary explanation for it thanks

Comment

I was just watching the show and I thought that cascade went one way during an incoming wormhole and the opposite on an outgoing. I just watched 4 episodes last night on scifi and I tried to make sure to pay attention during the wormhole scenes. Anyone else notice this???

I think it would explain why the iris doesn't disintegrate when the gate opens up!
          Last edited by AzMcNeil; 07 December 2004, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AzMcNeil
            I was just watching the show and I thought that cascade went one way during an incoming wormhole and the opposite on an outgoing. I just watched 4 episodes last night on scifi and I tried to make sure to pay attention during the wormhole scenes. Anyone else notice this???

I think it would explain why the iris disintegrate when the gate opens up!
            err you confused me

Comment

Originally posted by alz0rz
              err you confused me
              Sorry, let me clarify. when the stargate either is receiving or creating a wormhole. The big cloud thingy shoots outs from the gate right??? well it is my theory that when this happens, the big plume thingy goes one way during an incoming wormhole and it goes the complete opposite way during an outgoing wormhole.

incoming wormhole---------->this way
              <-----------outgoing wormhole thata way

understand???

the arrows symbolize the giant plume thingy...get it?

Comment

As far as I know, we've never seen the splash come out of a stargate (either on Earth or off-world) on the opposite side to the 'active' side..

edit: (but I'm open to correction if anybody can name any specific episodes..)
                The Unknown James

Comment

Originally posted by AzMcNeil
                  Sorry, let me clarify. when the stargate either is receiving or creating a wormhole. The big cloud thingy shoots outs from the gate right??? well it is my theory that when this happens, the big plume thingy goes one way during an incoming wormhole and it goes the complete opposite way during an outgoing wormhole.

incoming wormhole---------->this way
                  <-----------outgoing wormhole thata way

understand???

the arrows symbolize the giant plume thingy...get it?
                  Nah, the spash always has come out of the same side no matter which way the wormhole (incoming or outgoing).
                  If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Comment

Hmm, in the original movie the splash went front and back when they first activated it ...

Comment

the iris doesn't disentergrate when the wormhole is established because as sam explained : the iris sits so close to the event horizon that when a wormhole is established there is no room for an "unstable vortex" to form. in another episode sam also explains that there has to be a certian distance between the event horizon and an object in front of it for the unstable vortex to form.

Comment

Originally posted by wedge11
                        the iris doesn't disentergrate when the wormhole is established because as sam explained : the iris sits so close to the event horizon that when a wormhole is established there is no room for an "unstable vortex" to form. in another episode sam also explains that there has to be a certian distance between the event horizon and an object in front of it for the unstable vortex to form.
                        But then why would there be a wormhole at all? Wouldn't it not be able to form properly in the first place?

I feel sorry for any unsuspecting gate traveller without a probe that decides to gate to Earth and splats on the iris "Like bugs on a windsheild." Not very fair.

Comment

The gate does not need the "Woosh" for the wormhold to form. Watch "Small Victories", you can see Thor making a wormhole without it.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
                            The gate does not need the "Woosh" for the wormhold to form. Watch "Small Victories", you can see Thor making a wormhole without it.
                            Haven't seen that one yet- What season is it in?

Comment

Season 4 season premier.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
                                Season 4 season premier.
                                Don't forget, the Nox did the same thing before. In season 1's "Enigma".
                                sigpic
                                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                                "...phu...ah..."
                                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
                                X