This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kara58 View Post
    This may be a stupid question but when a space gate is active how do you know which is the front and which is the back?

The little sybols are on the side you're supposed to go through while the back side is kinda not as bright and fancy.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
      and what do you mean the other half of the first abydos mission...everyone else was killed!
      Hmm... i guess i'm gonna have to watch it again tonight to see if my memory is just acting up again.

22 and my level of cynicism has gone so far it's affected my memory

Comment

Well it's safe to say that you wouldn't get rematerialized at the other stargate.
        As evidenced by the fact that from the ep ''The Shroud'' the Mark IX's explosion isn't absorbed by the wormhole.
        Whatever the ancients can do we can, eventually, do better.

Comment

Allow me to offer a fairly sound theory.

First, I never believed that wormholes are one way traversable. I do believe the Stargates were made with this design for tactical reasons (you don't want whatever trouble there is on the other side to come through the moment you dial out).

That being said, I do not believe that there is a right or wrong way to enter the event horizon as a wormhole is a tunnel through spacetime which is not two sided and flat. I believe that the reason people enter from the symbols is because in the SGC (and on other worlds) the Stargates are set up so that the symbols can be easily viewed from the position of the dialing device (supercomputers in the SGC) and it would be easier to just enter the gate in a straight line rather than ask "Which side do I want to go in from?" Logically someone would be able to pass through the back end just as easily as someone could from the front because the subatomic material would act the same way from any direction (You could enter from the top or the bottom if the gate were designed that way).

The only thing that wouldn't be possible is trying to traverse a wormhole through a stargate from the incoming side as de-materialized matter will not reintegrate on the opposite end (as previously stated, the gate is designed in this fashion).

However, I am convinced that a stargate can be programmed to be two-way traversable by allowing them to reintegrate matter on the opposite end of an incoming wormhole. The events in 48hrs (SG-1) has led me to believe this could be done since de-materialized matter can be stored in a stargate buffer for a limited period of time. A stargate could theoretically store information on anything going through it no matter what condition the wormhole (incoming or outgoing). They would just have to be reprogrammed from one-way to two-way as they probably popped every gate in every galaxy off an assembly line with a default setting for one-way travel. The only reason people haven't been able to achieve a two-way is because they never tried or they weren't smart enough (like the ancients; or Dr. McKay on Superascension) to figure it out.

So in the short version, I say entering the Stargate from the back would send you to another world unless you are going through an incoming wormhole, then you're surely frelled.

Comment

Originally posted by Inthenite42 View Post
            What would happen if you entered from the back of the Stargate? Would you come out of the back of the opposite stargate?
            No, I'm pretty sure you'd be toast.

Comment

I guess I'm the first one to recommend the search function? I really hate to be 'that guy' but really- give it a shot.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

I think it was stated somewhere that the back of the stargate would be a semi solid wall as I said earlier. I don't remember what episode though but I know I didn't come up with the idea by myself.

Comment

What if you walked through with a sheild on. Would it prevent you from being dematerialized?
                  Add to rep if you like the pic.

Comment

you'd get told to use the search function
                    Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
                    sigpic

Comment

i know this seems to have been dead for a couple of months now but i had to comment ne way idk for sure about the entering from the back thing but what was said about 2 way travel i agree with gen.solo in that would seem to be a sort of programing or what not i say that because radio signals go two-way through the gate and in sg1 the computer virus being thing that hopped in sams head came through an out bound wormhole while she malp was being flown through the air.... if i remember correctly... i still feel like the entering from the back of the gate has been brought up b4 but cant place where or when :/

Comment

Working...
                      X