This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ascended Beings and Non-Interference

So the ancients are all about "non-interference" no matter how bad things get right? i mean the Ori are launching a crusade against the milky way, their own survival and billions threatened, and they do nothing.

So how come when Orlin builds that advanced weapon for that planet do the ascended beings destroy that planet because the people were planning to use the weapon to conquer other worlds?

They'll stop humans from conquering each other with ascended knowledge but they won't stop the Ori's followers???

interesting...

The logic in "Ascension" is that the Ancients destroyed the people Orlin helped specifically because Orlin helped. It wasn't done to stop those people conquering others; it was done to punish Orlin.

Comment

Also, I think part of it may have to do with the Ancients' rules not necessarily applying to the Ori. Perhaps the Ori don't practice rules of non-interference, and the Ancient's trying to step in might cause some sort of war?

I thought I remember that being a reason.
      Sig by Pandora's Box
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
        Also, I think part of it may have to do with the Ancients' rules not necessarily applying to the Ori. Perhaps the Ori don't practice rules of non-interference, and the Ancient's trying to step in might cause some sort of war?

I thought I remember that being a reason.

Morgan La Fay said in "Pegasus Project"
        "If we interfere, we'll be no better than the Ori."

Also, the Ori are launching the attack on the Ancients anyways to destroy them so the Ancients wouldn't interfere with THEIR plans.
        Last edited by merrik86; 02 August 2009, 11:51 PM. Reason: to add more information.
        Then To Tyolous
        Say to the people of the low plains
        Seek not the wickedness amongst your neighbors
        Lest it finds purchase in your own house.

Comment

if i ascended, spent all that time meditating while others did fun things, i wouldnt want to change their lives, for better or for worse

Comment

Originally posted by merrik86 View Post
            Morgan La Fay said in "Pegasus Project"
            "If we interfere, we'll be no better than the Ori."

Also, the Ori are launching the attack on the Ancients anyways to destroy them so the Ancients wouldn't interfere with THEIR plans.

Exactly, its up to the Ori if they want to try and kill the Ancients, so to be fair, the Ancients cant really do anything about it, as a whole. We have seen individuals try and take action eg Merlin, Morgan and Orlin, but as a whole, even when they themselves are threatened, they still stick to their beliefs, which is why i really love the Ancients,(SG-1 Ancients anyway, hate what Atlantis turned them into) they are just so morally right, almost all the time anyway, the whole killing an entire planet to spite Orlin was a bit OTT imho. Also I've come to the conclusion that the whole 'non interfence' rule is there for a reason, not just the Ori thing but thinking about it, I imagine that something must have gone drastically wrong in the ancient history (while ascended) that we haven't been told about to make they not want to interfer even when threatened with death, like something on a galactic scale, or maybe the rule was inforced on the Ancients when they ascended by other more powerful beings that were already ascended.

Comment

Ya they killed the people from Orlin's planet because he helped them. otherwise they wouldnt have spared a second look at what was going on.

And I totally agree with Xandder the Sg-1 Ancients were bomb!! THey were so morally right and stuck by what they believed in all the time!! very cool
              O'Neill- "Whose your daddy!!"
              Sheppard- "Its the right thing to do Why? because it is!"
              Sam-"You blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water...Next up parting the red sea"
              Mckay-"Oh yes when its impossible you look to me"

Comment

It's pretty much confirmed in The Fourth Horseman why the Ancients don't interfere...

Comment

The non interferance thing is right to be fair, Morgan is right, if they didn't have that policy they would be the same as the ori, or even comparable to the Gould......
                  I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
                    The non interferance thing is right to be fair, Morgan is right, if they didn't have that policy they would be the same as the ori, or even comparable to the Gould......
                    I actually agree with this. It's easy for an outside party (i.e. SG1) to criticize them for not "doing what is right". The problem is that they have a more objective stance, and lots of conflicts can be seen as "one side vs the other", rather than "good" vs "evil".

Adria thought she was "spreading the good word", after all.
                    Sig by Pandora's Box
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Link Æwondåslåmon View Post
                      It's pretty much confirmed in The Fourth Horseman why the Ancients don't interfere...
                      I understand this, but they could of easily got around helping people without actually revealing they were helping, they could of just made the doctors who were looking for the cure to 'accidentily' stumble across the right formula, or wiped the wraith out with non of the pegasus humans being any the wiser, the humans might of just thought the wraith went into permenant hibernation. After all, from the looks of it, the humans from Pegasus had no idea that the Ancients had ascended, they were still in belief that they were coming back, only when we arrived was it revealed to them that they were infact never returning. That way there would be no transfer of power from people worshipping them because no one would know they did anything, if you get what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by andy tyler View Post
                        So the ancients are all about "non-interference" no matter how bad things get right? i mean the Ori are launching a crusade against the milky way, their own survival and billions threatened, and they do nothing.

So how come when Orlin builds that advanced weapon for that planet do the ascended beings destroy that planet because the people were planning to use the weapon to conquer other worlds?

They'll stop humans from conquering each other with ascended knowledge but they won't stop the Ori's followers???

interesting...
                        The Ancients don't want to stop the Ori because it's the Ori's choice to do what they wish. They don't believe they have the right to interfere with the free will of others, even though they're on a higher plane of existance. I think that is a very noble choice, though I can see why others disagree. And I agree that Atlantis kind of made the Ancients seem arrogent and foolish, though I still sympathize with them.

And the Ascended only acted on the people of Orlin's planet because Orlin gave them knowledge he had gained as an Ascended to defend themselves, and they tried to conquer others with it. If they had gained the knowledge themselves, the Ancients wouldn't have cared, but it was Orlin giving them the knowledge that set them off.

Comment

I think non-interference comes directly from what the Ori did in their galaxy. Remember Merlin told Jackson that the Ori started out with good intentions. Somewhere down the line after they made their humans they had to interfere to set themselves up as the gods that they had believed in before they ascended. Then one maybe more realized that they were getting more powerful through the humans worship. Remember the Ori don't ascend anyone. To me they don't like any other ascended beings being ancient or anyone else whether you got there on your own or not. That's why I believe the ancients wanted to take out any temptation of anyone in their collective attempting to do the same in the Milky Way or Pegasus galaxies. It's better to punish the few that step out of line than to let billions suffer at the hand power hungry beings pretending to be something they're not and will never be GODS.

Comment

Because of what Orlin said about the Ori sucking power from their followers. I think it is an involuntary thing. And the ancients are afraid to help because they don't want to be worshipped because they are afraid that the power will corrupt them.

Comment

I don't think that the Ancients would have attempted to battle the Ori if they could. Remember, Morgan said "a few" thought the way she did, but I think the Ancients and Ori were at a stalemate. If they battled, neither side had a clear chance of victory. I think the Ori wanted to be sure that they could wipe the Ancients from their existence before they actually did do something about it. We know the Ancients will take actions against Ascended beings, we've seen it before. We know the Ori will stick their collective noses into other galaxies, that was the whole point of the final 2 seasons. So, if the other had a chance of wiping the other out, I think they would have taken it. They just weren't sure.
                              If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                              Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                              If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                              Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Working...
                              X