This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deadalus on The Next Generation

Currently I've decided to watch ALL of the Next Generation. And I noticed in the season 5 episode power play, one of the ships they had was the "Daedalus Class" starship which they said was 2 or 3 centuries old. their in the 24th century, which means it was 21st or 22nd century ship.... Which means if we ever see a ship named Essex thats a Daedalus class stargate becomes startrek lmao jp.

kinda funny thing tho
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Daedalus is actually a pretty common name when it comes to sci-fi; most often because real life science keeps tagging it to their projects. Both "Project Prometheus" and "Project Daedalus" are the names of speculatory research into propulsion systems that could allow interplanetary travel... it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the Stargate appearence was a direct reference to both of those.
    Captain Untouchable
    Captain's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Untouchable View Post
      Daedalus is actually a pretty common name when it comes to sci-fi; most often because real life science keeps tagging it to their projects. Both "Project Prometheus" and "Project Daedalus" are the names of speculatory research into propulsion systems that could allow interplanetary travel... it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the Stargate appearence was a direct reference to both of those.
      actually the reference to daedalus and promethus in stargate is most likely from the mythological stories the names are famous for, but hey, you never know. I'm just saying its funny that they referred to is as an Daedalus Class Ship, which all 304s are referred as, and its production was in the 21st or 22nd century, which would place it around the same as our Daedalus Class Ships lol, I thought it was funny.

I'm watching Season 5 still and another episode, The Outcast, and the "Guest Race" is the Genii... hmmm.... Eerie... lol

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

Our Daedalus looks better.

Comment

Where have the Stargates gone by the time the 24th century rolls around??

"A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Metonic View Post
            actually the reference to daedalus and promethus in stargate is most likely from the mythological stories the names are famous for
            Well, yes. Obviously, that's where they are from originally. But the reason they picked Prometheus and Daedalus rather than - for example - Atlas and Icarus (who are closely related characters) is because of the history of those names within space exploration.
            Captain Untouchable
            Captain's Blog

Comment

Well, Icarus certainly has the exploration/Daedalus connection. But there's....a bit of negativity associated with Icarus
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Actually, I thought the names Prometheus and Daedalus were pretty significant choices in Stargate, since so much alien technology on the show has some sort of connection to Earth mythology.

Prometheus, I think, is the character in Greek mythology who steals technology (fire) from the gods and gives it to the human race. In Stargate, the gods of ancient cultures are aliens, so the name is a perfect choice.

Comment

Daedalus is a good follow up because, unlike Prometheus, Daedalus was a mortal and a great inventor. Because humans played a bigger role in the design of the Daedalus, the name is another good choice.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                    Our Daedalus looks better.

Comment

Originally posted by Archetype View Post
                      Actually, I thought the names Prometheus and Daedalus were pretty significant choices in Stargate, since so much alien technology on the show has some sort of connection to Earth mythology.

Prometheus, I think, is the character in Greek mythology who steals technology (fire) from the gods and gives it to the human race. In Stargate, the gods of ancient cultures are aliens, so the name is a perfect choice.
                      Exactly. I always loved that name because of its significance. The ship is made with the help of reverse-engineered technology and then direct Asgard help. There isn't a more appropriate name for the ship, IMO.
                      And, again, I completely agree about Daedalus as well. It may have had more Asgard tech from the get-go, but it was truly humans trying to come up with a ship, rather than emulate an Asgard one on a far smaller scale.

Comment

I'm watching Season 5 still and another episode, The Outcast, and the "Guest Race" is the Genii... hmmm....
                        Hmm... have you noticed that the guy beaming up (and down) people on the Enterprise is their original leader?

Comment

Originally posted by Link Æwondåslåmon View Post
                          Hmm... have you noticed that the guy beaming up (and down) people on the Enterprise is their original leader?
                          lol yeah, Chef Miles O'Brian, lol He didnt have much to do in the Star Trek Genii episode, actually I dont think he was even in it.. He was plotting in the background to travel back in time and take control of the Genii before they surrender their genders..

Comment

Originally posted by Archetype View Post
                            Daedalus is a good follow up because, unlike Prometheus, Daedalus was a mortal and a great inventor. Because humans played a bigger role in the design of the Daedalus, the name is another good choice.
                            And then there's... (Possible SGU Spoilers)
                            Spoiler:
                            ...Icarus base! Icarus being the son of Daedalus, who flew too close to the sun with the fancy wings Daedalus built and died. And Icarus base gets 'sploded. So the Stargate naming sequence does seem to work well.

Comment

I am pretty sure the Deadalus would wreck any ship in the star trek universe. In the year 2400s they still don't have intergalactic travel.

Comment

Working...
                              X