Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've started reading the novels after about a 2 year gap...currently reading the Atlantis Legacy series, but looking for recs for both SG1 and Atlantis
    sigpic
    Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay View Post
      I've started reading the novels after about a 2 year gap...currently reading the Atlantis Legacy series, but looking for recs for both SG1 and Atlantis
      SG1: A Matter of Honor;
      SG1: The Cost of Honor (excellent stories)
      SG1: Roswell
      SG1: Survival of the Fittest
      SG1: City of the Gods

These are the best of SG1 in my opinion. Others are good, but these are the best.

I don't know about other readers, but in my opinion, you might want to avoid "The Power Behind the Throne". There's almost no SG1 at all in that book.

As for SGA books, pretty much all of them were good reads. One or two of them I'd read again, but I'm not as much a fan of these books as I am of SG1 - though the Legacy series is gr8t!

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay View Post
        I agree with Hedwig's recs, but also recommend Barque of Heaven which I really enjoyed. I actually like all the books up until thirteen, with one exception being Four Dragons, which is really good. After that I think they started to stink IMO. And definitely avoid Power Behind the Throne, it is that bad.

Sga books I enjoyed were Blood Ties, Mirror, Mirror, Halcyon, Exogenesis, Casualties of War, Death Game, and all of the Legacy series. I hated Angelus and Nightfall.

Comment

Has anyone heard anything about whether "The Drift" is still scheduled to be released this month?

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
            Has anyone heard anything about whether "The Drift" is still scheduled to be released this month?
            I think it's supposed to be at the end of the month. I'm really looking forward to it!
            sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

I'm currently reading Oceans of Dust - I started it before the Chicago Con, but was sick the week of the Con, and reading anything gets shifted to the bottom of my priorities list when I have a sinus infection - I can't read with a headache, and didn't even read on my 3 hour flight to Chicago, wound up watching Nostalgia Critic episodes I saved to my iPad instead. I did discuss alot of the books and audio dramas during the convention though.

My favorite one is Do No Harm - sooo good. I haven't read one I didn't like yet. Next one I have is Heart's Desire. Sorry it was disappointing, but I want to find out for myself. The only one I felt was weak that I read was Sacrifice Moon, but it wasn't really a weak story, it was just too short and took me 4 days to read. The storyline was fantastic, but I have read ones that were longer, and those are my faves. Barque of Heaven was awesome, and I had a great discussion about it with another attendee the first day of the Con. I read them all on my Nook app.

I like Oceans of Dust because it feels like all of the darker episodes I like (my favorite SG-1 episodes had some of the darker plots, like Foothold).

I heard about a Mobeius plot tie-in, anything on that one yet, I really want to read it!!!!
              sigpic

Allison's Written Words - Blogger Blog

STARGATE CONVENTIONS
              Creation Entertainment Official Stargate Convention, Chicago - August 2012
              Creation Entertainment Official Stargate Convention, Chicago - August 2013
              Creation Entertainment Official Stargate Convention - The Final Journey, Chicago - August 2014 (can't wait!)

Comment

Originally posted by gatechick View Post
                I agree with Hedwig's recs, but also recommend Barque of Heaven which I really enjoyed. I actually like all the books up until thirteen, with one exception being Four Dragons, which is really good. After that I think they started to stink IMO. And definitely avoid Power Behind the Throne, it is that bad.

Sga books I enjoyed were Blood Ties, Mirror, Mirror, Halcyon, Exogenesis, Casualties of War, Death Game, and all of the Legacy series. I hated Angelus and Nightfall.
                Barque of Heaven was so good, I pounded my best with my fist when I finished it, and scared my little Yorkie fur-neice, who jumped at my reaction. I liked Power Behind the Throne, but for a good Goa'uld possession story, I recommend Siren Song, I read it in the spring, it was excellent. I read Matter of Honor and Cost of Honor in May when I was on Jury Duty, and they were GREAT.
                sigpic

STARGATE CONVENTIONS
                Creation Entertainment Official Stargate Convention - The Final Journey, Chicago - August 2014 (can't wait!)

Comment

Originally posted by bookwormjules View Post
                  Haven't read it yet, but bought it from Amazon. Still trying to get through Do No Harm, then the Furies is next on my list. I'll be interested in seeing if this one is worth bumping up the TBR list.
                  Do No Harm was soooo good, I really loved the story, and it was very suspensful. Reminded me of Frozen, and I really have a hard time with that episode (I made the mistake of watching it last summer when I reacted badly to cough medicine with codeine last summer and was sent home from work early - after watching it, I thought I had the ancient disease!!). I wound up watching Nightwalkers and SGA's The Long Goodbye to calm myself down. Do No Harm was my first SG-1 novel ever, and I've read about 11 so far.
                  sigpic

STARGATE CONVENTIONS

Comment

Originally posted by bookwormjules View Post
                    Currently trying to read Do No Harm, but not feeling the book. It just seems off to me. The characters don't seem to be themselves, thought processes etc seem to have the same voice. They way it's written is also choppy and the book doesn't have the SG-1 feel. Any one have thoughts on this book? Is it just a slow start? Debating setting this one.
                    It was the first one I read, and yes, it has a VERY slow start. But its gets better!!
                    sigpic

STARGATE CONVENTIONS

Comment

Originally posted by DancerChick1982 View Post
                      I heard about a Mobeius plot tie-in, anything on that one yet, I really want to read it!!!!
                      There is a Moebius-related book that is due out early next year, I believe. It will have both the SG1 team from the episode Moebius and the SG1 team with Cam Mitchell and Vala. I believe it's called "Moebius Squared", but I could be wrong.

"The Drift" is due out later this month, and is supposed to be a sequel to "Four Dragons".

I'm pretty sure the last of the Legacy Series is supposed to be released in October or November.

There was a list of the future books floating around here somewhere in the last few months, and it seems there was to be one book per month to be released all the way into early next year, if the publishers stick to the schedule.

Comment

There is a Moebius-related book that is due out early next year, I believe. It will have both the SG1 team from the episode Moebius and the SG1 team with Cam Mitchell and Vala. I believe it's called "Moebius Squared", but I could be wrong.

"The Drift" is due out later this month, and is supposed to be a sequel to "Four Dragons".

I'm pretty sure the last of the Legacy Series is supposed to be released in October or November.

There was a list of the future books floating around here somewhere in the last few months, and it seems there was to be one book per month to be released all the way into early next year, if the publishers stick to the schedule.
                        Thanks for the info!!!
                        sigpic

STARGATE CONVENTIONS

Comment

http://www.gateworld.net/books/index.shtml

Comment

Has anyone heard any updates on The Drift? It is due out this month but I have yet to hear news. Does the author have a website or blog that I missed? I checked out Diana Dru Botsford's blog but she has not updated since July.

Comment

Originally posted by gatechick View Post
                              Read Heart's Desire. Disappointed. It was nothing like some of the past SG-1 novels. There was really nothing exciting at all about it. It reminded of one of those one off episodes that SG-1 would have that really had nothing to do with the Goa'uld, just maybe a mere passing mention of them and then the rest of the episode was just painfully boring. As I was reading I just kept waiting for something to happen. It took me 3 weeks to get through this book, which would normally take me a day to read. Just very boring and un SG-1 like. I wish they would not publish books like this and instead insist the author go back to the drawing board. Sorry don't mean to offend just how I feel about the book.
                              I haven't read Hearts Desire yet but I plan to as soon as a finish (haven't started yet) Oceans of Dust. The title of this book and S/J on the cover makes me suspect it's a bait and switch for us S/J shippers. But we'll see.

And I totally agree with you about send them back to the drawing board. While we won't all love the exact same plots or character focus, bad writing (or bad story that doesn't revolve around our characters AT ALL is probably what is keeping mainstream Stargate fans away from the books. If the books performed really well, TPTB with the $$$ would see the interest and we might still get our movies. Don't publish any ol' thing and slap SG-1 on it because you know we die-hard fans will buy it; meanwhile you're alienating newbies. Plus, I now wait to see what others review because the trust is gone for these publishers. I don't want to spend my money on junk. Even if I don't love the story, or it doesn't focus on my favorites - I don't mind if it's not drivel or being passed off as SG-1 when it's obvious somebody had a pre-existing story about aliens, squeezed our characters in and submitted it. What? Did Fandomania Publishing owe this guy a favor? I can't think of the book title that did this right now, but it was awful.

Originally posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post
                              I also finished "Heart's Desire." I agree that it was quite slow moving and I was waiting for more action scenes. But still there was a lot of nice character work that I did enjoy. I felt that all of the characters were utilized in the story (unlike "Valhalla" were the entire book was from the point of views of Sam and Jonas) and I did enjoy the two original characters. That being said, I still agree with gatechick that the entire book wasn't very difficult to get through.

Edit: And to those non-shippers worried about Jack and Sam being pictured on the cover, don't worry about it. There was very little "ship" in it and nothing beyond what would be found in a regular SG-1 episode.
                              Oh, so I was right about the "bait and switch" title and cover.

I wrote to Fandomanium about the same issue with Vahalla. I LOVE Sam and tolerate Jonas pretty well, but it felt like I was missing the other characters. But I still prefer this brand of storytelling rather than - oh what was the name of that book? Written by a guy with a great summary that SG-1 was going after a creature that could make you want it?

SG1: A Matter of Honor;
                              SG1: The Cost of Honor (excellent stories)
                              SG1: Roswell
                              SG1: Survival of the Fittest
                              SG1: City of the Gods

These are the best of SG1 in my opinion. Others are good, but these are the best.

I don't know about other readers, but in my opinion, you might want to avoid "The Power Behind the Throne". There's almost no SG1 at all in that book.

As for SGA books, pretty much all of them were good reads. One or two of them I'd read again, but I'm not as much a fan of these books as I am of SG1 - though the Legacy series is gr8t!
                              I would add Hydra to the list. A very complicated read but I felt it was worth it. When I started the story, I first thought "Oh great. Another book where the author doesn't know the characters well or how they address each other." But as the story progresses, there is a very good reason for the "mistake". It's not a mistake. i don't want to spoil it for anyone but I'd really love to hear what others' thought of Hydra.
                              sigpicRamonaThePest (you know, Henry Huggins' friend)

Comment

Originally posted by RamonaThePest View Post
                                I haven't read Hearts Desire yet but I plan to as soon as a finish (haven't started yet) Oceans of Dust. The title of this book and S/J on the cover makes me suspect it's a bait and switch for us S/J shippers. But we'll see.
                                I thought Heart's Desire was a lot of fun. It's set third season, so it's before shippy shippy fourth season happens!
                                sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

Working...
                                X