Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys I was looking at perhaps getting into the books, but I don't want to spoil anything from the series. I guess I just want to know if there are tie-ins. It appears that there is Stargate (The book of the movie) and then 5 books that happen before SG-1 (Rebellion, Retaliation, Retribution, Reconnaissance and Resistance). I am about 3/4 of the way through SG-1 season 2. Could I safely read these?

Comment

The 5 novels you mentioned are not related to SG1 at all. The are direct sequels to the original movie. Those 5 novels and SG1/SGA/SGU are separate universes that both branch of from the movie and go in different directions.

Comment

Originally posted by lightsyder View Post
        The 5 novels you mentioned are not related to SG1 at all. The are direct sequels to the original movie. Those 5 novels and SG1/SGA/SGU are separate universes that both branch of from the movie and go in different directions.
        I don't understand I thought SG-1 picked up after the movie and are therefore tied together. I am new to this and not trying to be a jerk, just trying to understand. Are the books an alternate storyline to SG-1?

Comment

Originally posted by Killersheep View Post
          I don't understand I thought SG-1 picked up after the movie and are therefore tied together. I am new to this and not trying to be a jerk, just trying to understand. Are the books an alternate storyline to SG-1?
          Yes. They're taking off in a different direction after the movie. The ones from Fandemonium (here: http://www.stargatenovels.com/bookshop.php) are the ones based on SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis.
          sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

No need to feel bad, it can be confusing when you're first starting out.

The five books you mentioned were written just after the original Stargate movie came out. They were meant to be unofficial sequels that showed where the original movie would have gone. Stargate SG-1 came out in 1997 and followed from the original movie but didn't consider the novels as canon and so they were just disregarded. The Powers That Be took SG-1 in a whole other direction so some of the things in SG-1 may contradict with the novels. That being said, it should be perfectly fine for you to read those books at any time, since they won't spoil anything from the SG-1 series.

For more information, look here: Stargate Literature
            sigpic
            The Return of King Arthur
            Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
            acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Thanks for the clarification

Comment

Sorry if my reply was unclear. I would have elaborated more but I was replying form my phone and long posts are kind of a pain...lol

Comment

Some of the books emphasize issues that occurred in some of the episodes of the SG1 series. One focusses on the fall-out from "A Matter of Time" (2nd season). "Do No Harm", while having an entirely different story line, also references that episode many times throughout the book. "Roswell" takes place in Season 10, and includes both the original SG1, plus the new members of the team (Mitchell and Vala). "Relativity" is based on the episodes "2010" and "2001", plus involving a lot of time travel. A few of the books don't refer to any particular episode, but as in the book "Survival of the Fittest" takes place near the end of Season 5. "City of the Gods" refers heavily to "Crystal Skull". All the books, however, relate completely to experiences/missions of SG1, something like would be shown in a two-part episode. Some of the books were good enough to be episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                    Some of the books were good enough to be episodes.
                    Could you please share which books those are in particular? I haven't read a single Stargate novel, and I know I won't be able to read them all, so I want to choose wisely. Also, which books focus on Sam more? She's the character I'm primarily interested in SG-1.

Comment

Originally posted by Raelis View Post
                      Could you please share which books those are in particular? I haven't read a single Stargate novel, and I know I won't be able to read them all, so I want to choose wisely. Also, which books focus on Sam more? She's the character I'm primarily interested in SG-1.
                      My personal favorites are the two parter: A Matter of Honor, and The Cost of Honor (based on the episode "A Matter of Time").

Other favorites are "Survival of the Fittest", "Roswell", and "City of the Gods".

I really like "Transitions" as well, but there are some inconsistencies in it. If you're willing to overlook those, the book is good.

Sam isn't really the focus of any of the books, though she gets a lot of attention in the "Honor" books. And she gets a fair amount of attention in "Survival of the Fittest" (mostly because she's telling the story in the latter book). Otherwise, the books mostly focus on the team, or in pairing Jack and Daniel together, and Sam and Teal'c when working on missions.

Comment

Originally posted by Raelis View Post
                        Obviously everyone is different and will have different opinions. I loved Sally Malcolm's "A Matter of Honor" and the sequel "The Cost of Honor." Of all the books, I felt that she had the best grasp of the characters, and the books read very much like well-written episodes. They're team novels, but Sam is still very prominent. These books are set Season 7, and deal a lot with information from episodes "A Matter of Time" in Season 3 and "Abyss" in Season 6.

I'm not sure if any of them tend to "focus" on Sam, per say. Like I said, they're usually team novels that involve all of SG-1.
                        sigpic
                        The Return of King Arthur
                        Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
                        acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                          Not really. If anything, the novels focus more on team or Jack/Daniel (the latter not as a couple, but as the usual bickering, Daniel whining and being portrayed as a "boy" or "young man" when he's in his 30's throughout the series), and they will often pair Sam and Teal'c on missions. I much prefer more Sam/Jack and/or team oriented stories.
                          Thanks for the info. I thought I might be pushing my 'Shipper hopes a bit too much to think there would be a hint of it in the novels too!

Originally posted by Artie View Post
                          I think you'll like Heart's Desire when it comes out then! I was one of the prereaders for it, and it teams Sam & Jack and Daniel & Teal'c. Also some really good Sam bits in it. (It's set third season.)
                          I was reading a little bit about Heart's Desire earlier and it sounds really interesting. I can't wait to get my hands on it! Being a pre-reader sounds like it was great fun!
                          "I'd rather have died myself than lose Carter... Because I care about her. A lot more than I'm supposed to."
                          My Fics | My Twitter

Comment

After asking for advice on which Stargate novels to read, I called in to one of my local charity shops on a whim today, and look what I came across.. Note: I may have gone slightly overboard, lifting all the ones I could find and getting strange looks from the lady who served me in return.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79758616@N03/7310207348/
                            "I'd rather have died myself than lose Carter... Because I care about her. A lot more than I'm supposed to."
                            My Fics | My Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by wacky_jacqs View Post
                              After asking for advice on which Stargate novels to read, I called in to one of my local charity shops on a whim today, and look what I came across.. Note: I may have gone slightly overboard, lifting all the ones I could find and getting strange looks from the lady who served me in return.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79758616@N03/7310207348/
                              Cool!

I have a few Stargate novels in paperback, but the majority are in e-book form so far.

Looks like you'll be busy for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by wacky_jacqs View Post
                                Thanks for the info. I thought I might be pushing my 'Shipper hopes a bit too much to think there would be a hint of it in the novels too!

I was reading a little bit about Heart's Desire earlier and it sounds really interesting. I can't wait to get my hands on it! Being a pre-reader sounds like it was great fun!
                                It was great fun!

And if you're into Sam and a shipper, you'll like the new SGA novel coming out -- Sam heavy, and right up your alley: http://jo-graham.livejournal.com/181711.html
                                sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

Working...
                                X