This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SGATwin View Post
    Ok, so I understand you right that Roswell is with O'neill and Mitchell and the upcoming book is something like Continuum?
    Yes. "Roswell" has General O'Neill and the Season 10 SG1, including Mitchell and Vala.

Apparently the new book will have both the SG1 team that we saw in Moebius, as well as the SG1 team that we saw in "Continuum".

Comment

Ok, thank you for your answer

Comment

Moebius Squared, by the name, I wonder if there will be four different SG-1 teams. Original, Continuum, Moebius and other? Because that would be a cool plot
        Oh for a book and a shady nook ~ Jules' Book Reviews - my book review site.

Comment

Originally posted by bookwormjules View Post
          Moebius Squared, by the name, I wonder if there will be four different SG-1 teams. Original, Continuum, Moebius and other? Because that would be a cool plot
          I believe it will be two teams. The one from Moebius, and the one from Continuum.

Comment

Just read Transitions. Not a fan. At all. Which is a shame as I really loved Sabine's other novels but this one was just all over the place. So much of the continuity was wrong and didn't fit. Was just irritating.
            sigpic
            Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

When is Oceans of Dust coming out?

I heard sometime in March, and another site said May.
              sigpic
              The Return of King Arthur
              Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
              acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Barnes & Noble had it originally set for March 16. Now it says May 16, 2012. Grrrr.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                  Barnes & Noble had it originally set for March 16. Now it says May 16, 2012. Grrrr.
                  Guh. So disappointing.
                  sigpic
                  The Return of King Arthur
                  Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
                  acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post
                    Guh. So disappointing.
                    Stuck at MGM. And so is Heart's Desire, which is supposed to be the next one after.
                    sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                      Just read Transitions. Not a fan. At all. Which is a shame as I really loved Sabine's other novels but this one was just all over the place. So much of the continuity was wrong and didn't fit. Was just irritating.
                      I actually did like the story, but as you said the continuity was way off, and it kept me from enjoying the story as much as I would have liked. Surprised MGm let that through. I thought they checked for things like that.

And I say grrr too, to oceans of dust being pushed back.... again.

Comment

You'd think with all if the delays at MGM regarding approval someone would have caught the timeline error. I guess the delays aren't related to proof reading.

As for the novel itself I felt all of the Atlantis parts could have been left out and the story would have been fine. It would of course require some tweaking but it really felt out of place.

Comment

Originally posted by lightsyder View Post
                          You'd think with all if the delays at MGM regarding approval someone would have caught the timeline error. I guess the delays aren't related to proof reading.

As for the novel itself I felt all of the Atlantis parts could have been left out and the story would have been fine. It would of course require some tweaking but it really felt out of place.
                          I thought the Atlantis characters were off. SG-1 was good, but the Atlantis characters just didn't work, JMO.
                          sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

Agreed

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                              I finished reading "The Power Behind the Throne" yesterday. I had started reading it awhile back, and just couldn't get interested in it. For whatever reason, I forced myself to read it and have to say I should have listened to my intuition or whatever it was telling me not to bother.

If you are looking for a story about SG1, this is not a book you want to read.

It starts out with SG1 being sent on a mission to recover a creature of some kind that has the ability to get in a person's mind and make them believe absolutely anything. It is called the Mujina.

This creature was apparently imprisoned by the ancients (IIRC) to live a life of basically solitary confinement so it couldn't work it's powers on any one. The Tok'ra want it (it's unclear whether to kill it or use it), and wants SG1 to do their dirty work in recovering it.

They go, they find the creature, they are attempting to get it back to the gate, which attempt fails, they wind up getting captured by a group of dissidents, and even though SG1 helps them save a bunch of their people from an earth/icequake, they are taken prisoner when the Mujina is freed and starts to work it's powers on these people, and convinces them to not trust SG1.

The planet is run by a dictator who is bent on killing anyone who isn't genetically pure, and there's a fair amount of really nauseating torture and other stuff of the slaves and lesser people. There's also a goa'uld that has been set free on this planet who is bent on taking over for his own purposes.

This story is more about the people and what happens to them than anything to do with SG1. I'm of the opinion the author doesn't really know Stargate or its characters all that well, since none of them are portrayed as much more than caricatures of their real selves. They only get about 1/4 of the story (or less), though Teal'c winds up with a fairly decent bit of the story.

As I said, the story opens with SG1 going on the mission, but once captured are more or less consigned by a dusty little corner to wait till an appropriate moment for the author to drag them out for a moment to serve his purposes, and then sent home.

I didn't find myself having any sympathy for any of the inhabitants of the planet, with the exception of a few that Teal'c met once he escaped.

Throughout the story, the author jumps from one character to another so that we get to know what they're thinking and feeling, but strangely doesn't do that for SG1 (again, which the exception of Teal'c).

Apparently, this story is the first of a trio of books by this author titled "The Iblis Trilogy", though I can't see how this one is going to lead into another one. It doesn't matter, since I won't be reading them.
                              Holy cow that book was pretty bad. I didn't know it was supposed to be a part of a trilogy, but even so - the ending was epically bad. It was like the author was trying to tear the team up, physically and mentally, then kick them in the butt one last time in the end.

And don't get me going on the writing. Wow.

The idea of the world they went to wasn't bad, even with all the Nazi parallels. But the author just seemed to go off the reservation with it.

I'd have bought it and read it regarles of reviews - it's part of the collection, but I'll never read it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldritch View Post
                                Holy cow that book was pretty bad. I didn't know it was supposed to be a part of a trilogy, but even so - the ending was epically bad. It was like the author was trying to tear the team up, physically and mentally, then kick them in the butt one last time in the end.

And don't get me going on the writing. Wow.

The idea of the world they went to wasn't bad, even with all the Nazi parallels. But the author just seemed to go off the reservation with it.

I'd have bought it and read it regarles of reviews - it's part of the collection, but I'll never read it again.
                                I think the author has said they do not plan on finishing the trilogy themselves. I believe it is up in the air as to whether someone else will finish it. I believe that can be found somewhere in the ask the authors thread and I will look for it.

But yeah it was a pretty bad book. It was difficult to finish, especially when SG-1 seemed to be of little consequence to the story. I felt like I was reading a book about WW2.

But I agree, I'd have bought (and did buy) the book regardless of the reviews just to complete my collection. But I was super disappointed I had to.

EDIT: Found the page where author says they will not finish the series. Just have to scroll down to their posts to see it. http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/3...monium)/page89
                                Last edited by gatechick; 08 April 2012, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X