This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bookwormjules View Post
    Have to say, not likening the SGC-1 portion of the book so far. The focus on Cassie and her viewpoint, is bad - its like YA novel. I'm also finding some of the characters are written out of character. I am enjoying the SGA plot line, it's very well done, I wish there was a little more on that.

Does the sg1 story line get better as the plot "thickens?" because so far I'm not seeing what everyone has seen in the book.
    Well, that's not an answer you can truly get. I enjoyed the SG-1 part from the beginning. I liked the emphasis on Cassie since we didn't see much of her. Conversely, I'm not as big of a fan of SGA, so I didn't enjoy that part quite so much.

It's all preference.

However, may I ask, what's a YA novel?
    sigpic
    The Return of King Arthur
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
    acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post
      Well, that's not an answer you can truly get. I enjoyed the SG-1 part from the beginning. I liked the emphasis on Cassie since we didn't see much of her. Conversely, I'm not as big of a fan of SGA, so I didn't enjoy that part quite so much.

It's all preference.

However, may I ask, what's a YA novel?
      YA = Young Adult. When ever the focus is on Cassie the way it is written changes to her through process, ie "creep one, creep two" even the language changes a bit in how it's written, which makes those parts sound like a young adult. Since Cassie's been introduced into the book, she's been kind of, poutting/emotional brat like we saw in the last episode she was in, which highly reflects many characters in young adult books - which I dislike.
      Oh for a book and a shady nook ~ Jules' Book Reviews - my book review site.

Comment

YA = Young Adult. When ever the focus is on Cassie the way it is written changes to her through process, ie "creep one, creep two" even the language changes a bit in how it's written, which makes those parts sound like a young adult. Since Cassie's been introduced into the book, she's been kind of, poutting/emotional brat like we saw in the last episode she was in, which highly reflects many characters in young adult books - which I dislike.
        I've read the book twice now, and fully intend to read it again. For me it was entertaining, and a decent story line, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

As for Cassie acting bratty? She'd just had some enormous changes take place in her life and then discovered she has these secret abilities that she's afraid to tell anyone about. I'd be pretty testy, too, if I were in her shoes. Plus, she knows that if she reveals any of these abilities, it's all too likely the NID will snatch her and make her into a test subject/prisoner for the rest of her life.

And regarding her "bratty" behavior in "Rite of Passage", that was due to the changes she was experiencing because of Nirrit's experiments on her on Hanka that were starting to change her into something else. I would also be pretty bratty about that if I were in her position. She's only 15 at that time and doesn't understand what's happening to her.

In some ways, I think "Transitions" was meant to be somewhat lighthearted, even though it was a serious storyline about serious subjects. SG1 frequently behaved in a somewhat lighthearted manner in the most dangerous of situations, so this really wasn't all that different for me.

Comment

Cassie, to me is reflecting the typical moody teenager. Not because she's going through a hard time. I have just overs hundred pages left, and still not impressed the the SG1 side of the story, and itis frustrating the Atlantis story is sacrificed for this one (and vise verses). There are two plots that need there own book.

not bothered by the lightened mood, bothered by how story is written and because it's concentration on Cassie - never liked her character. Can't like them all, I think. I built up my expectations to high after reading the rave reviews about it. For me the book just doesn't carry the same feel as the other books I've read.

Comment

I really enjoyed the book but I agree that both stories deserved their own book. To me the Atlantis piece just felt tacked on for the heck of it. And brought along continuity problems which drive me nuts!

Comment

I liked Sunrise a lot. That was a fun read!
              sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

Hey there I have a question: Are there any novels with Mitchell instead of O'neill?

Comment

Originally posted by SGATwin View Post
                  Hey there I have a question: Are there any novels with Mitchell instead of O'neill?
                  Thus far, there have been none like that. However, "Roswell" (which takes place late in Season 10) features both of them pretty significantly. Vala is also in it (significantly). I haven't come across any others that even mention Mitchell (other than maybe a passing comment).
                  Last edited by hedwig; 29 January 2012, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SGATwin View Post
                    The upcoming Moebius Squared has both Mitchell and O'Neill as the Continuum team meets the past team.
                    sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

Originally posted by Artie View Post
                      The upcoming Moebius Squared has both Mitchell and O'Neill as the Continuum team meets the past team.

.......still doing busy work to curb my patience/impatience while waiting for new books to be published.......

Comment

That might be good, I wish they had more Mitchell novels, Roswell was one of my favorites, and Continium was a good movie should be interesting to see the two teams together.

Comment

Finally finished Transpiration. Not impressed at all. I couldn't get passed the continuity issues of the book. Had the book been fan-fiction, I may have been able to accept it, but it's a companion book to the series, so having the huge continuity issues this book had not good in my books. Oh well can't like them all I suppose.

Comment

Finally finished Transpiration. Not impressed at all.
                            I can tell... wasn't the title Transitions?
                            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Oh wow! Go auto correct, or not. Yes it was transitions fail on me.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                                Thus far, there have been none like that. However, "Roswell" (which takes place late in Season 10) features both of them pretty significantly. Vala is also in it (significantly). I haven't come across any others that even mention Mitchell (other than maybe a passing comment).
                                Ok, so I understand you right that Rosewell is with O'neill and Mitchell and the upcoming book is something like Continuum?

Comment

Working...
                                X