Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a huge shame. I get the books as they release and I've been a big fan of their efforts. Would hate to see them drop Stargate as they're the soul source of new adventures for me these days.
    sigpic
    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

They could also be taking a wait and see approach with a 4th Stargate series, whatever that may be, should that happen. If the Stargate authors have some new series of novels going, like a post legacy or something, they may want to know about that because it might effect the novel series in some way. Look at Star Trek. Star Trek had a whole Post Nemesis/Post DS9/Post Voyager/USS Titian series going, and then the Star Trek Picard TV series comes along causing that novel series to wrap up in three book story called Star Trek Coda. Fandemoniumcould also be waiting until they have certain amount of novels written and approved before they release any. They could also working to secure the rights to SGU.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
        That's a huge shame. I get the books as they release and I've been a big fan of their efforts. Would hate to see them drop Stargate as they're the soul source of new adventures for me these days.
        I know right? Would find it a shame too, but honestly, I'm still wondering if we will see new Stargate from Amazon in the first couple of years after the acquisition of MGM. I think the franchise is still slowly losing appeal, as it has been doing for the last 10 years since the last episode of SGU.

I think this is just another symptom, I hope I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by planet_tv View Post
          They could also be taking a wait and see approach with a 4th Stargate series, whatever that may be, should that happen. If the Stargate authors have some new series of novels going, like a post legacy or something, they may want to know about that because it might effect the novel series in some way. Look at Star Trek. Star Trek had a whole Post Nemesis/Post DS9/Post Voyager/USS Titian series going, and then the Star Trek Picard TV series comes along causing that novel series to wrap up in three book story called Star Trek Coda. Fandemoniumcould also be waiting until they have certain amount of novels written and approved before they release any. They could also working to secure the rights to SGU.
          I think this is grasping at straws a bit.
          • securing rights for SGU: they only released the tie-in novel of the first SGU episode. I guess they never acquired sufficient rights to release novels in context of SGU? SGU is dead and buried, let's face it. It will not get a conclusion, and if it does then maybe in passing of some episode of some new SG series, and that is IF Brad Wright might be involved. Never see this happening.
          • The comparison to Star Trek: again, let's face reality. Stargate has in no way the appeal, reach or (size of the) audience/following that Star Trek has. Personally I don't see why, but well, the facts are what they are. Star Trek is also a franchise which was never left for dead over a timespan of 10+ years. So sorry, but this is also not realistic in my opinion.
          • Waiting for a new series to influence the novels in general: yeah... honestly, I'm not one of those believers who think that we will get a new Stargate anytime soon. Might we get a new Stargate under Amazon? Maybe. Will it be in the next, let's say, 3 to 5 years? I personally doubt it. Will Brad Wright be involved? I personally doubt it. I still believe that there are properties in the MGM IP which have FAR FAR FAR more potential of giving Amazon a profit and have the potential to reach a FAR larger audience than Stargate. I really don't believe Amazon will see Stargate as a priority after acquiring MGM. I think now they will want to get as much value back in an as short as possible of a period of time after having spent the money on MGM, and Stargate is in my opinion not in the top 20 of IP which could deliver on that. It's standard operating procedure: company A buys company B. Company A then 1) starts removing all redundancy and obsolete cost in company B and 2) expects that the takeover of company B starts returning on investment as soon as possible to justify the takeover cost. Again, I don't see Stargate in the top 20 of the IP of MGM regarding return on investment, maybe not even in the top 50. It's just economics, has nothing to do with fandom and unfortunately, companies are run by accountants.
          • The authors waiting for a new series specifically: most of the authors who contributed to the Stargate novels have been writing other non-Stargate novels in the last years. So it's not as if they suddenly stopped writing. I still believe it's because there is just less appeal involved with the franchise because it's slowly dying over the last 10 years.

I just saw you can see the publication dates of all those novels here on Gateworld too.
          The last novel is published in 2019, that's 2 years ago.

The fact that Covid happened also will not have helped.
          Dunno, I regret to have to admit it to myself, but maybe the franchise really is disappearing, unfortunately.

Comment

GateWorld / Darren

Any idea from your side if Fandemonium is still in business?

After receiving their last reply, that "they were definitely slowing down", I replied to them if they had an intention to stop publishing Stargate books or if maybe they were impacted licensing-wise by the MGM/Amazon merger.

Never get an answer back to that.

Considering what's going on lately:
            - we have the game license issued to Slitherine (which is also something that we don't hear anything about anymore lately, thought they wanted to have a beta ready by the 25th birthday of SG-1?)
            - in Dial The Gate last year, the people from Fandemonium said they had a couple of books in the pipeline and were also looking at possible audiobooks. However recently it seems that BigFinish has received the license for audiobooks again.

Is it possible that their license isn't renewed for Stargate novels?

If so, are they even allowed to still do print-on-demand for the books already published in that case?
            I'm only missing 7 SG-1 books in my collection from them, have the SG-U and SG-A series complete, would be a shame if I couldn't get them anymore in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by DrMckay View Post
              According the UK.gov website for companies, Fandemonium LTD still has an active status as a company. However, I seem to be unable to find a website which I might consider odd.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Their site looks to still be up, just no recent updates.

http://www.stargatenovels.com/

I could use some more Stargate novels in my life....

Comment

Originally posted by lightsyder View Post
                  Their site looks to still be up, just no recent updates.

http://www.stargatenovels.com/

I could use some more Stargate novels in my life....
                  Ah... I was looking in all the wrong places, as in Fandemonium LTD. Didn't think to check the above.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

Ah... I was looking in all the wrong places, as in Fandemonium LTD. Didn't think to check the above.
                    well that'd be too easy! lol

Comment

Originally posted by lightsyder View Post

well that'd be too easy! lol

Comment

Originally posted by DrMckay View Post
                        I actually just recently touched base with Sally at Fandemonium, and she confirmed they're still working and hoping to get something new out.

I don't know what the delay has been since the last book, but my understanding is that publishing is something of a side business. Hopefully we'll hear something shortly. There's always approval hurdles from MGM Consumer Products and Legal, but I don't think the Amazon acquisition has impacted their license in any way.
                        GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                        The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                        Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post

I actually just recently touched base with Sally at Fandemonium, and she confirmed they're still working and hoping to get something new out.

I don't know what the delay has been since the last book, but my understanding is that publishing is something of a side business. Hopefully we'll hear something shortly. There's always approval hurdles from MGM Consumer Products and Legal, but I don't think the Amazon acquisition has impacted their license in any way.
                          Alright, thanks for getting back on this.
                          Guess we'll just have to wait and see then

I'm aware that this is a side job for them, but nevertheless, it's been a while compared to their release cadence before 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post

Thanks Darren. Been a little worried about it myself. Fandy's novels have been the only real consistent source of new "official" Stargate adventures so I was going to be sad to see them stop. Appreciate you reaching out on all our behalf and getting that info.
                            sigpic

Comment

On that note, just received my last missing book of the Atlantis series today.
                              Seven more to go from the SG-1 series and I have them all.

Gotta catch 'em all I guess

Comment

I'm re-reading Angelus myself. Think I only read this the once when it came out, so it's been quite fresh. I had good memories of it, and the re-read has been good too. I enjoy when Stargate gets a horror-vibe.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X