This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Garrowan5th View Post
    ...........*breathes*........owell, that was a waste of my finger joints......

If it helps, I think there could be stronger female characters. I was being devil's advocate.

And please, don't use Vala as an example? I mean, compared to Aeryn Sun, Vala is a comic relief character, and any time they tried to give a relatively serious storyline or deep episode, it came off rather poorly. Very.

Early Sam was a good example, but it seems as she was promoted she lost that air of authority.

Weir was a good character, able to make the hard choices and able to stand up to the male officers in the series without having to resort to a Teyla/Xena type thing.

And that's another point, why does 'Strong Women' entail physically kick arse? Weir was a great example of morally, verbally and authoritively strong without skimpy clothes and kung fu!
    Haha, nothing is a waste - you helped raise good arguments. Finger exercise is a must...

I never understood Vala's character to begin with but from what I read on other threads, she seems to have her own pool of fans. Why? I have no idea but people seems to love her character and was upset that her character wasn't being developed but fell into the cliche of being Danie's gf. She was indeed..

And with Sam.. The way the writer wrote the character made it difficult for her to be in a leadership position. She was portrayed as, IMO, 'too easy going.' I mean, how is it possible that Mitchel took over her 'leadership' position and she's ok with it? psh...nonsense.

And Dr. Weir.. I adore her character but some people think that she's too weak and always lets Sheppard step all over her. Ah.. No. I thought it was great that she was willing to listen.

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit View Post
      And Dr. Weir.. I adore her character but some people think that she's too weak and always lets Sheppard step all over her. Ah.. No. I thought it was great that she was willing to listen.
      Vala's character was funny, but brought nothing to the dynamics of the group that hadn't been seen before. At all

Weir certianly lets Colonel's Caldwell and Ellis step right over her.......yeah, right.
      sigpic
      385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Firstly, my last post was AGREEING with you. AGREEING That means you don't need to enlighten me further because I'M ON YOUR SIDE!!!

Let's remove some of the chips from our collective shoulders. If we are going down the majorly vast road of bias on tv, or SG, let's llok at more than one thing, okay? Becasue the steroetypes are more than just women (although that is the major one, I agree)

As I said in several posts above, Men get stereotyped just as much. I won't repeat them here needlessly, be be assured I am neither a jock nor a geek, and yet that is all that SG portrays.

Not all foreigners are bad, evil people that want America to lose the gate!(and considering that the show is heavily CANADIAN, I am shocked)

Canadians get a pasting from everyone in Atlantis, especially through Meredith ("I love that cute little canadian thing you do..." AAARG!!!)

Scotsmen do not all have the "wee, lovely Beckett" accent that sounds like an ex-pat in Canada tryignt o do a voice he remembers his grandfather doing, nor are we all from some wee, small obscure village in the mountains. We have cities!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soldiers are not universally stupid, nor are they ill trained, nor are they ALL AMERICAN!

British people aren't all snobs or know it alls who wear suits day in and day out.

Irish/Scottish people don't always have to be drunk, either!!!!!

Scottish people are not always the drunken thug in crime dramas!!

Russians don't all drink vodka and want the downfall of the west.

A few examples to show you that Women are not alone, and THAT IT HAPPENS TO EVERYONE!!!!!!
        oi... I agree with you Women aren't the only victim of stereotype in this show. haha. I'm glad you notice. I think you should start a thread about it and see what people think as well. Especially about the male stereotype.. I'm no male so i wouldn't have a clue. And I've never heard of any male saying that they're being portrayed wrongly. I think it'd be interesting to raise some eye brows "wink wink, nudge nudge"

I'm serious

Comment

Vala's character was funny, but brought nothing to the dynamics of the group that hadn't been seen before. At all

Weir certianly lets Colonel's Caldwell and Ellis step right over her.......yeah, right.
          Now if only she can come back to the show... (dream on...) Torri has just the face that really fits in that position somehow. I don't care what people say about Jessica Steen... I haven't seen her as Weir as much as I did with Torri...

And about Vala, I heard that they were planning on doing something with her character but never really gotten around to developing her. Either it is because they don't know how or they lost interest.. err..

Comment

Most likely the latter......i know I did, and that's difficult with Claudia Balck
            sigpic
            385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

oi... I agree with you Women aren't the only victim of stereotype in this show. haha. I'm glad you notice. I think you should start a thread about it and see what people think as well. Especially about the male stereotype.. I'm no male so i wouldn't have a clue. And I've never heard of any male saying that they're being portrayed wrongly. I think it'd be interesting to raise some eye brows "wink wink, nudge nudge"

I'm serious
              Well, like I said, I did earlier. We all get gut shots from the SG TPTB
              sigpic
              385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Vladius View Post
                You don't think Carter was well written for the most part?

I'm pretty sure sci fi fans and fans of Stargate in particular are mostly male. Why does the military need to recruit more women? Don't you have to volunteer to be in the military?
                Carter? Well, I'm not that big of a fan for Carter than I am with Weir. No, I don't think she was that well written. I mean I'm glad she seems more a part of the team than most female characters I've seen. But man oh man was she so much in the background (at least that's what it came off as to me.)

I mean other than her smartness where she figures out most of the complicated problems...that's about it.......

What do the Sam Carter fans think?

And don't get me started on the whole military thing, please. As far as the SciFi fan is concern. I don't know.. are they mostly male? Anyone has an accurate percentage survey that they've done?
                Last edited by Spirit; 22 May 2009, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Get the mods to post a must-complete survey that everyone on GW has to answer. Simply male or female, and then we see what GW demopgraphic is like!
                  sigpic
                  385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

I am curious if the majority of the fans are male or female on GW But even then that's only a small portion of SciFi fans.

Comment

I am curious if the majority of the fans are male or female on GW But even then that's only a small portion of SciFi fans.
                      Convention-goers - female outweighs the male audience. (conventions I have been to anyway)
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Anyone collecting autographs?

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                          Convention-goers - female outweighs the male audience. (conventions I have been to anyway)
                          So moral of the story: gate convention great way to meet ladies Already have a nice conversation for supper
                          "I only understand about 1% of what she says half of the time."

Comment

Anyone collecting autographs?
                            I have a few (closer to Firefly related than Stargate though but there's Stargate too).

Originally posted by pkprd869 View Post
                            So moral of the story: gate convention great way to meet ladies Already have a nice conversation for supper

But true, and you're already sure she will like the same things you do.
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Are you kidding? Sam is not on the lead role.. She's on the supporting role.. Yes, she's part of the main cast but that's different than "lead." In any respect, Jack O'Neal was suppose to be the lead until Stargate franchise couldn't pay for him anymore. Then Mitchel somehow took his place.

And Weir? You'd think because she's the 'leader' of Atlantis, she's the lead, no... Shepard is on the lead role.

Unless I'm understanding this whole lead, supporting, roles wrong then feel free to correct me
                              i totally get where you are coming from... while sam, daniel, tealc and later vala may be main characters they are not the leads... and i know what you mean about cameron suddenly becoming the lead, as much as i think cam is a good character that really bugged me... and what added to it was the fact that ben got his name first in the credits... sam has been in it since the start, she was the next logical choice to take command of sg1, but beyond that AT had given 8 years to stargate and deserved to be recognised by having her name first...

i think its about time that stargate had a series where the intentioned lead was a female... star trek finally did with janeway, now its stargates turn...

and im very proud of AT for sanctuary, she deserves every success with it...

even in the world of crime scene shows jerry bruckheimer has 2 of his 7 shows where a women is the designated lead role...
                              Last edited by katjoy; 27 May 2009, 02:30 AM.
                              "...but I think if I were to describe myself in pure feminist forms, I would say I want equality. We want respect not because we're women, but simply because we're human beings..." AT 'Live peace. Speak kindness. Dwell in possibility.'

Comment

[QUOTE=katjoy;10201749]...sam has been in it since the start, she was the next logical choice to take command of sg1,QUOTE]

Err, TPTB....logic.....? Since when?
                                sigpic
                                385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Working...
                                X