This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your perfect SG spin off

Ok so this thread isn't specifically SGU related but alot of people (including me) don't like the look of SGU, so what would be your perfect Stargate spin off.
    For me it would be SG2 plan and simple.
    Basically exactly the same as the early season, maybe set in a different galaxy (like like SGA) just to add a bit of variety.
    But each episode should be exploring a different English speaking ancient culture, running into a bit of trouble and ending up saving the day back in time for tea.
    It would have a long running enemy like the Gou'ld that totally over power the good guys.
    It should not be character stuck on a ship or based around relationships it should be about meeting and exploring different cultures (but they happen to be speaking English because of the 42 minute format).

What would your perfect SG spin off be?

Stargate, the Girls next door.
    BSG (Drama/Soap Opera)

Soap Opera: The main characteristics that define soap operas are "an emphasis on family life, personal relationships, sexual dramas, emotional and moral conflicts; some coverage of topical issues; set in familiar domestic interiors with only occasional excursions into new locations

Drama: A drama film is a film genre that depends mostly on in-depth development of realistic characters dealing with emotional themes

SG1/SGA are not Drama/Soap although some elements are touched on to add depth to these action/adventure series. If you want to see a show focused on Soap/Drama go watch BSG or Days of our Lives.

Comment

Stargate Universe

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
        Stargate Universe
        Funny, but I'm sure there would be something you would change.
        You don't even know all the details yet. What would make it your perfect show.

Comment

Originally posted by kzap333 View Post
          What has been said about stargate universe so far sounds pretty perfect for me other than all the cross overs
          sigpic
          Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
          Metal gear fan

Comment

Ok so this thread isn't specifically SGU related but alot of people (including me) don't like the look of SGU, so what would be your perfect Stargate spin off.
            Basically exactly the same as the early season, maybe set in a different galaxy (like like SGA) just to add a bit of variety.
            But each episode should be exploring a different English speaking ancient culture, running into a bit of trouble and ending up saving the day back in time for tea.
            It would have a long running enemy like the Gou'ld that totally over power the good guys.
            It should not be character stuck on a ship or based around relationships it should be about meeting and exploring different cultures (but they happen to be speaking English because of the 42 minute format).

To save the time and money, you should just go and watch early SG-1 seasons.

That's already been done. Let a new series stand on it's two legs and do something a bit different.

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
            and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

Ok, I'll be serious.

I love the overall plot of SGU; I'm a sucker for "trying to get home" stories since they usually involve the characters being desperate and relying on each other, making them a family.

If I were making it, I would definitely add an overarcing...arc, perhaps relating to the Seeding ship. For instance, maybe the Ancients sent the ships on a course to a specific target, and we find out what that target is in the series finale. And it'll be epic.

I would probably add more scientific discoveries; they are waaaaay out in the Universe, after all. Find me some Quasars dammit!

I'll wait and see on how they'll handle the character stuff; it could be brilliant, or it could be ridiculously melodramatic like on BSG. Hopefully that won't happen.

Frankly, I don't know how they could create a spin off after this one that wouldn't be a complete retread of one of the past series.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                Ok, I'll be serious.

I love the overall plot of SGU; I'm a sucker for "trying to get home" stories since they usually involve the characters being desperate and relying on each other, making them a family.

If I were making it, I would definitely add an overarcing...arc, perhaps relating to the Seeding ship. For instance, maybe the Ancients sent the ships on a course to a specific target, and we find out what that target is in the series finale. And it'll be epic.

I would probably add more scientific discoveries; they are waaaaay out in the Universe, after all. Find me some Quasars dammit!

I'll wait and see on how they'll handle the character stuff; it could be brilliant, or it could be ridiculously melodramatic like on BSG. Hopefully that won't happen.

Frankly, I don't know how they could create a spin off after this one that wouldn't be a complete retread of one of the past series.
                i love what i have heard about universe.for me as an sga fan,i thought sga needed to end.it really was going to down hill imo and id rather have a new show with tons of potential as well as a continued sg1 movie series,and the start of an sga movie series.so like pg 15 i think sgu if done correctly will be a fantastic show.although i think there is possiblitues for shows after this...but yeah it will retread but most scifi retreads over the same things.its just how that show takes the old ideas and add new takes and spins on it.

Comment

I agree with what PG15 said. SGU sounds like it's going to have most of what I'm looking for in the next Stargate series. I loved SG1 and SGA for what they were, but I really want a substantial change, and I feel like the idea of SGU being more serialized definitely appeals to me. To give a sort of reference, I still watch Lost and Heroes, and part of their draw (for me) has been the ongoing storylines.

As for specific things I would want to see in SGU, I definitely want to see alien interaction. While it may not be to the extent that the previous two shows were, I can still say that one of my favorite aspects was interaction with other alien species.

Also, I would really like the addition of some sort of intergalactic politics. We saw this to a lesser extent with the Asgard and Goa'uld interactions, and it was alluded to a bit in reference to the other of the 4 races. Using the vast universe as the backdrop for the story, I see this as a great potential to meet very advanced races and to explore their interrelation with each other.

Lastly, I want to see well-written and believable relationships (of all kinds). If it's a friendship, I want to see loyalty and trust above and beyond that you'd show someone who wasn't as close of a friend.

If it's a romantic relationship, I would prefer there to be a substantial buildup. Not only does this make it more believable, but it also makes it more fun to watch. While others may disagree, I've found that lots of people say they really enjoy when a relationship takes a long time to reach consummation. Not to mention, spreading it out over time would alleviate most concerns of it turning into a "soap opera".

These are just a few things that I am hoping they incorporate into SGU in some fashion. In the end, I just hope the show is enjoyable to watch. I am optimistic though, so I don't have very many concerns that this won't be the case .
                  Sig by Pandora's Box
                  sigpic

Comment

i LIKE the premise of sgu, but id be down for something more horror based.

Comment

What would I change?

#1. The Logo.
                      #2. Get a cast that looks better together. I'm not in the least bit intreigued about these characters from the limited photos that have been released. if they're meant to draw people in, they failed in my case.
                      sigpic
                      Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Hahahaha, How about Girls of Stargate Gone Wild.

Originally posted by Bytor View Post
                        Stargate, the Girls next door.

Comment

So you want to see the same thing all over again? Don't worry, you will, it's a pretty sure bet with these writers...
                          Meh.

Comment

I would personally like to see the series go backwards, and let us see the ancients in action. Go back like 10,000 to 20,000 years and just give us more meat and potatos of how the ancients lived. How about a series based on Janus, so that we could see how he lived before, and during the war with the wraith, and afterwards when he left Dr Weir and Atlantis to return to earth. Where did he go, what did he do besides travelling to that one planet that melbourne became king of. The Idea of bringing Janus back for his own show is one that can tie in all the other series, and eventually lead him on board the destiny.

[QUOTE=kzap333;10070034]Ok so this thread isn't specifically SGU related but alot of people (including me) don't like the look of SGU, so what would be your perfect Stargate spin off.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
                              So you want to see the same thing all over again? Don't worry, you will, it's a pretty sure bet with these writers...
                              Dang, I really hope not . I understand your point. However, the comments that have been released by TPTB about the show have me optimistic that they are actively trying to do something different. Only time will tell .
                              Sig by Pandora's Box
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X