This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evolution of the ancients

We all know that the Ancients were very advanced before their ascension, but i have been wondering what they were like before they gained intergalatice travel, before the colonized the galaxies. Did they go threw what we did in (Not Stargate events) Were they as ignorant as we were and are now? Did they kill each other like we do now over extremelt trivial reasons? Did they start out in space with simple rockets and progress from there? What are your thoughts on this?
    Last edited by FN-P90; 02 February 2009, 11:17 AM.
    Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

My answer would be that it depends on how far back you want to go. I'm fairly sure that if you go far enough back into Ancient History (no pun intended!), you would find that they were probably very similar to us. I'm sure they had wars, and rudimentary space travel to begin with, etc.,etc... Maybe something happened to them which brought them together and made them concentrate on personal advancement rather than self-destruction. From that point on, they began to work on advancing themselves towards ascension, technologically or otherwise.
    sigpic

Teal'c: Trust in me, O'Neill.
    Col. O'Neill: What if I'm not O'Neill?
    Teal'c: Then I was not talking to you.

Half of the Chevron 7.3 Honeymoon couple!!

Comment

and what was their downfall?
      Stolen Kosovo
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
        Yeah im not thinking to strait, cold medicin isnt the greatest thing to have in the system when your trying to make a serious thread ,

i ment ascencion

Comment

ascension wasn't a downfall
          Stolen Kosovo
          sigpic

Comment

ascension wasn't a downfall
            Upfall then

Comment

Well we know that the ancients were at war, or at least at odd's with the ori, and that was at a point when they had intergalactic travel. My guess is that there history is filled with wars and stuff just like ours is and will continue to be.

Comment

I like to think that the Ancients were once a lot like we are now. They weren't born with advanced technology, after all. They probaby had wars and fought amongst themselves over stupid things, like we do. But maybe something happened that brought them together. Like discovering life on other planets. Tht can really bring a planet together.

Comment

Well, if you mean with regards to their conflict with the Wraith, I guess we could say it was overconfidence, some would say arrogance, or they just underestimated the threat the Wraith posed. Or perhaps since ascension was such an attractive option to them, they just lost the will to continue as a civilization.

My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

from the jist i get not a lot of ancients actually ascended ..........first there asses are neatly handed to them by the wraith . so the go home and start rebuilden then bam . plague starts wipin em out . and who knows maybe someone was around before them . and ascended leaving THEIR technology behind . and the ancients used it . which would explain there hopeless idiocy in actually implamenting it and give a valid reason why they have so many pointless rules about ascended beings interferring

Comment

The ancients likely can attribute their intelligence to using 90% of their brains 100% near ascensions (they had powers like healing and other stuff) so I am not too sure how their past was. I would think a human race who used 90% of their brains wouldn't live in any kind of dark ages for very long.

Comment

Well the Ancients are human so it is human nature to be spoilt, selfish and at times; evil. Obviously the Ancients reached the point in their civilisation where they were able to get past that 'human nature' and evolve to true greatness. As has been seen countless times with human planets in Stargate, many civilisationis haven't been able to get past that point in their civilisation and thus resulted in wars that destroyed their planet.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                          Well the Ancients are human so it is human nature to be spoilt, selfish and at times; evil. Obviously the Ancients reached the point in their civilisation where they were able to get past that 'human nature' and evolve to true greatness. As has been seen countless times with human planets in Stargate, many civilisationis haven't been able to get past that point in their civilisation and thus resulted in wars that destroyed their planet.
                          Good post. Couldn't have said it better.

Comment

Originally posted by adam4evelyn View Post
                            from the jist i get not a lot of ancients actually ascended ..........first there asses are neatly handed to them by the wraith . so the go home and start rebuilden then bam . plague starts wipin em out . and who knows maybe someone was around before them . and ascended leaving THEIR technology behind . and the ancients used it . which would explain there hopeless idiocy in actually implamenting it and give a valid reason why they have so many pointless rules about ascended beings interferring
                            I think you mixed things up a little. The Ancients came to Milky Way, then left Milky Way due to the plague and after the war against the Wraith in Pegasus went, let's say, "disadvantageous" they returned to Milky Way, lived the rest of their lifes among people from Earth and maybe some other planets.
                            Sam: "You can´t be serious!"
                            Jack: "What?"
                            Daniel: "It´s the only way!"
                            Jack: "What?"
                            Sam: "Now, we agreed...!"
                            Jack: "If I have to say "WHAT?" one more time, heads are gonna roll!"
                            - - - - -
                            Knight Rider S01E11
                            KITT: Sarah, our father is dead.
                            - - - - -
                            Eureka S03E12
                            Bismarck: This is madness.
                            Fargo: This is Eureka!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbow View Post
                              I'm sure they had wars, and rudimentary space travel to begin with, etc.,etc... Maybe something happened to them which brought them together
                              Ok so I don't know if someone has already said this as I'm too tired and lazy to read what everyone else put but I can guarantee they had wars and that something well actually two things brought there race together finally.

1. They were at war with themselves for millions of years and still were until recently. The Ori and the Ancients are genetically the same and so really are one species under different names and they were at war for at least 50 million years which is when the ancients left Earth.
                              So yes the Ancients fought wars with themselves.

2. Science and Religion brought together the two different sides in the Alterans people which soon split into the Ori and Ancients, or Lanteans whichever you prefer really.

Comment

Working...
                              X