This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mongoletsi View Post
    Well, one can be Buddhist yet not believe in any god. Is it a religion or a life philosophy? Perhaps Nirvana = Ascension?
    One quote, supposedly from Buddha, is "The gods are irrelevant." As for whether Buddhism is a religion or a life philosophy, one definition of religion is 'a particular system of faith and worship'. Buddhists don't worship Buddha as he's not a god, but they do believe in and try to follow his teachings. So I would say Buddhism is a religion and a life philosophy.

As for the Ancients, it's possible to be spiritual without being religious. You can be interested in (or concerned with) the spirit/mind without believing in one or more gods. So I tend to think of the Ancients as spiritual beings, especially with their idea of spiritual improvement leading to Ascension.
    C-D
    Dragon by name, Cheerful by nature

Sig by *E*K*R*

Comment

Originally posted by Cheerful Dragon View Post
      One quote, supposedly from Buddha, is "The gods are irrelevant." As for whether Buddhism is a religion or a life philosophy, one definition of religion is 'a particular system of faith and worship'. Buddhists don't worship Buddha as he's not a god, but they do believe in and try to follow his teachings. So I would say Buddhism is a religion and a life philosophy.

As for the Ancients, it's possible to be spiritual without being religious. You can be interested in (or concerned with) the spirit/mind without believing in one or more gods. So I tend to think of the Ancients as spiritual beings, especially with their idea of spiritual improvement leading to Ascension.
      all religions are life philosophies. They all teach a certain life style to fallow, and many Buddhist sects do have all sorts of gods and heavens and hells. Even those that ignore the gods still believe in things that are impossible scientifically. New age "buddhism" on the other hand...

anyway, I do agree. The universe is to big for just one super race.

Originally posted by aweeasian View Post
      Maybe the Furlings??

I want to believe that there was a race before the Ancients. Perhaps the Ancients stole technology from them and made it there own and learned everything from this race they stole from. I want to believe this because the Ancients are just soo...arrogant, negligent, etc.

Everyone talks about how amazing the Ancients are. Why don't they just get a room with them already. So I think it'd be interesting to find out (maybe in Universe) that really the Ancients weren't that great.
      we all ready know that. just rewatch Atlantis...they are real jerks.
      By Nolamom
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Elemental View Post
        What came before the ancients ?
        I'd say Pat Cocco predated the Alteran Civilization.
        sigpic
        "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
        ~David Hewlett

Comment

For all of this talk about the Universe being 13 billion years old compared to the 50 million year-old Ancients, there are several issues to consider.

1. Most of the stars in the universe are second or third "generation." That is to say that they are formed from the remains of older stars that died. Life could not have formed on a planet orbiting a first generation star because the elements necessary for life were first formed in the hearts of first generation stars.

2. Once you have life on a planet, it has to evolve into something intelligent. This can take quite a while. After all, on Earth, it took nearly two billion years just to go from bacteria to cells with nuclei, and another billion years after that before we got any real diversity of multi-cellular life.
          "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
          - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
          - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
          - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan Reynolds View Post
            Maybe we have seen that older races but we didnt know about it
            Remember in season8(i think) when Sam(and the Prometheus) gets stuck inside a giant bobble of green gas with an unknown alien ship, by the end they get free and we never see that alien ship ever again...
            Or in the season3 finale(i think) we sg1 get stuck a million lightyears away in an unknown part of the universe cos a hyperdrive malfunction and Aphopys is there ready to kill them off and unknow Big Ass Alien Ship appears and "saves the day" them too we never see ever again.

Maybe thoses guys are some of them older races living out there where...(dont kill me for this ) no man as gone before!
            the first ship was an unknown ship that we'll probably never hear of again. They weren't that great. Carter figured out something that all them on their bigger ship couldn't all by herself and while sort of intoxicated. The other ship was a Replicator ship.
            "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

How about something like what the Atlantis team met in Deadalus Variations. The, for a lack of a better description, Borg-like humanoids.

Could the Ancients in this universe have had dealings with them before?

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                For all of this talk about the Universe being 13 billion years old compared to the 50 million year-old Ancients, there are several issues to consider.

1. Most of the stars in the universe are second or third "generation." That is to say that they are formed from the remains of older stars that died. Life could not have formed on a planet orbiting a first generation star because the elements necessary for life were first formed in the hearts of first generation stars.

2. Once you have life on a planet, it has to evolve into something intelligent. This can take quite a while. After all, on Earth, it took nearly two billion years just to go from bacteria to cells with nuclei, and another billion years after that before we got any real diversity of multi-cellular life.
                I'd like to point out that life on Earth in SG-1 was not "made" naturally. So We could bring into question the whole age of Earth and the Universe in the SGverse. It could be much older or younger, anything goes.
                By Nolamom
                sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
                  maybe the Sakari...(remnant folk)
                  Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                    we all ready know that. just rewatch Atlantis...they are real jerks.
                    Well it seems like we're in the minority. Many fans hold the Ancients on a super high pedestal, not to mention the characters on Atlantis. Dr. Weir for example, every other word she spoke was about how amazing the Ancients were. Over all though, they weren't that great. They refuse to stop the slaughter of human beings by the Goauld/Wraith/Replicators when they are ascended, they were negligent of the humans of the Pegasus galaxy, thus bringing the Wraith into existence, and they were arrogant and believed their technology to be invincible and without flaw. Much to their own demise as evidence in Season 3 of SGA. Yet, people still want to see more of their "amazingness."

If it was revealed that the Ancients stole most of their technology made from older races they encountered in SGU, it would explain two things:

1. From the concept drawings of the Destiny, it looks incredibly similar to Traveler ships, even the 304 design. When they aquired tech from this "mysterious race" it would explain why we don't see an intermediate state between the Destiny level tech and the Atlantis tech.

2. It would explain why the Ancients are so arrogant and not cautious. The "common Ancient" doesn't understand how some of the tech they have aquired works, so they underestimate it's power.

Sure, the Ancients learned some things from their scavenging, but perhaps not as fully as we are meant to believe...

Just something to chew on.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon612 View Post
                      ...Borg-like humanoids.

Could the Ancients in this universe have had dealings with them before?
                      Hrm, surely they'd be in the Ancient DB tho? I'd imagine so. So no.

Although (plot hole) surely the Furlings would be too...
                      Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

Well it seems like we're in the minority. Many fans hold the Ancients on a super high pedestal...

If it was revealed that the Ancients stole most of their technology made from older races they encountered in SGU, it would explain two things:
                        I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying that Destiny is responsible for a technological leap forward? I don't buy that sorry.

1. From the concept drawings of the Destiny, it looks incredibly similar to Traveler ships, even the 304 design. When they aquired tech from this "mysterious race" it would explain why we don't see an intermediate state between the Destiny level tech and the Atlantis tech.
                        It's a massive leap to say that. We haven't seen the intermediate stage simply because... we haven't seen it. Really, we've not seen that many pieces of Ancient tech not directly related to Atlantean-era tech. Dakara tho, what stage (with stone-hewn interfaces) is that? Again, sorry but I don't think this fits what we know...

2. It would explain why the Ancients are so arrogant and not cautious. The "common Ancient" doesn't understand how some of the tech they have aquired works, so they underestimate it's power.
                        No mate, they really did understand it. Just look at Janus or Merlin. They built the Stargates, Atlantis, Asurans, Dakara, etc, etc...

In conclusion; I honestly think that the Ancients evolved, and advanced technologically, entirely on their own.
                        Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoletsi View Post
                          In conclusion; I honestly think that the Ancients evolved, and advanced technologically, entirely on their own.
                          I agree with that. The Ancients may have been arrogent at some points, but they had their reasons. The Ascended don't interfere because they don't want to be seen as gods, and in Before I Sleep, Moros wouldn't let Weir help her expedition because he didn't want to mess with the timeline. I can even see why the Ancients in The Return kicked the expedition out, though I don't exactly agree with them.

The Ancients, to me at least, don't seem like the type to steal technology. And as with the Destiny, architecture changes over time. Especially over millions of years.

So yell at me. I love the Ancients. So? I'd be happy to "get a room with them."

Comment

Well it seems like we're in the minority. Many fans hold the Ancients on a super high pedestal, not to mention the characters on Atlantis. Dr. Weir for example, every other word she spoke was about how amazing the Ancients were. Over all though, they weren't that great. They refuse to stop the slaughter of human beings by the Goauld/Wraith/Replicators when they are ascended, they were negligent of the humans of the Pegasus galaxy, thus bringing the Wraith into existence, and they were arrogant and believed their technology to be invincible and without flaw. Much to their own demise as evidence in Season 3 of SGA. Yet, people still want to see more of their "amazingness."

Sure, the Ancients learned some things from their scavenging, but perhaps not as fully as we are meant to believe...

Just something to chew on.
                            That's because for over 7 years on Stargate SG-1 they the Ancient civilization was built up as awe inspiring. Then they were written to make blunder after blunder after blunder after blunder in Stargate: Atlantis.
                            Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 29 January 2009, 08:06 PM.
                            "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

They refuse to stop the slaughter of human beings by the Goauld/Wraith/Replicators when they are ascended, they were negligent of the humans of the Pegasus galaxy, thus bringing the Wraith into existence, and they were arrogant and believed their technology to be invincible and without flaw. Much to their own demise as evidence in Season 3 of SGA. Yet, people still want to see more of their "amazingness."
                              1. That's because they'd almost certainly become like the Ori.

2. Uh... no. They fought for a hundred years. If they had been negligent of the humans, as you claim, they wouldn't have held out for so long.

3. They didn't bring the Wraith into being, although I kind of like the idea of an "evil" Ancient scientist... Besides, do you know how many stars there are in the Pegasus Galaxy?

4. Of course they did. That's the curse of EVERY superior races/civilizations. They had vastly superior technology, so it's only natural they thought it would be a cakewalk. But they would have most likely won if the Wraith hadn't got their hands on a ZPM.

Comment

Originally posted by Link Æwondåslåmon View Post
                                1. That's because they'd almost certainly become like the Ori.
                                Really? I don't buy it. If their hands were tied by the "others" sure, but not cause they'd be like the Ori.

2. Uh... no. They fought for a hundred years. If they had been negligent of the humans, as you claim, they wouldn't have held out for so long.
                                Yet, they used experimental weapon's technology that could destroy life on a planet right in the middle of a human city.
                                They weren't completely careless, but I wouldn't let an Ancient babysit any child no matter wha
                                t.

3. They didn't bring the Wraith into being, although I kind of like the idea of an "evil" Ancient scientist... Besides, do you know how many stars there are in the Pegasus Galaxy?
                                Didn't they admit that when Woosley and Jack were talking to the Ancient captain of the Tria?

4. Of course they did. That's the curse of EVERY superior races/civilizations. They had vastly superior technology, so it's only natural they thought it would be a cakewalk. But they would have most likely won if the Wraith hadn't got their hands on a ZPM.
                                Which makes them not amazing since they are equally arrogant enough to not prepare for worst case scenarios.

face it, they aren't as great as we were led to believe. Just cause you have a butt load of toys doesn't make you great. I hold the Asgard to a higher esteem than the Ancients, why? Cause they were not as arrogant as a whole. Even the Tollan were better.
                                By Nolamom
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X