Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If only we could find out what Devlin envisioned for his universe! I would love to see the sequel(s) brought to life on the big screen. The original film may not have been classic cinema but it opened the door (much like Daniel did) to a new world of possibilities with one of the most unique and imaginative plot devices ever conceived for a film. While many here do not favor the idea of a Devlin sequel, I support it completely. The current think tank seems to have reached the limits of their creativity. Their best work was many years ago (in my opinion) and we've seen a slow and steady decline in the franchise. With the possible exception of Continuum there hasn't been anything that could live up to what Stargate once was--a fantastic and exciting adventure.
    Since the existing creative team can conjure up nothing better than the soon-to-be-dead Sheppard and McKay's Guide to the Galaxy or the upcoming Stargate: Voyager...ermm...Universe, maybe it IS time to go back to the creator of this magnificent universe and allow him to finish what he began.
    The bits of information I have found on Devlin's story arc are very tantalizing and imagination begs to place Kurt Russell's Jack "that's ONE L!" O'Neil and Spader's bespectacled Dr. Daniel Jackson at the center of an even more vivid and rich story.
    We've already been privy to hundreds of hours of the syndicated version of the Stargate universe so why not make a soild attempt to inject even more of a fanbase into the franchise with a higher quality two hour addition to the film story instead of TPTB throwing everyone a bone with another landfill worthy concoction like Ark of Truth?
    Making the proposed sequel(s) with the same cast as the original would be a bigger draw than anything the current TV version of the franchise could pull. Whatever your opinion of the Russell/Spader team they have more name recognition that anyone involved with any of the TV series. If the TV cast were to show up in a film at a theater near you many people might be left to ponder why McGuyver is walking through water to fight aliens.
    Consider this: What's the worst that could happen if Devlin was allowed to move forward with his sequel(s)? The film would be financially dissappointing? Maybe. But that risk exists for every movie. Apparently the fear of lack of box office production hasn't prevented Paramount from putting together another installment of Star Trek debacle or from giving us that horid CGI infested Indiana Jones film.
    But what's the best that could happen if Devlin finishes what he began? The film has a respectable showing in box office receipts and the third and final film of his Stargate trilogy is all but assured. The sequel puts the Stargate universe back in the minds of moviegoers and introduces the newest generation of sci-fi fans (many of whom know only the likes of BSG and the eye candy aplenty Star Wars prequels) to a franchise steeped in fascinating and very-probable ancient histories of our ancestors. Also think about how educational it could be--a franchise that begs for the sci-fi fan to indulge their imaginations and possibly even pick up a book or two to learn more about the names and characters they see in the film (Ra anyone?). Furthermore a successful sequel can provide the neccessary raw material for new television series based on the Stargate film (think SG-1 for a new generation). And last but not least, the best thing a Devlin sequel has going for it....no Vala!!
    If TPTB played their cards right Stargate could be a Hollywood powerhouse and cash cow that not even the Sci Fi Channel could ignore. Would a film sequel ruffle the feathers of the TV Stargate purists? Maybe. But to me the pros outweigh the cons. Just my opinion and I'm sure there are many out there who would respectfully disagree with me. :0
    P.S.- Its nice to be back on the boards.
    "Colonel listen to me. Speech is thought verbalized. Languages are codes. I'm a linguist. I'm a codebreaker. Don't you see? If I can do this I can read their minds."

Comment

Originally posted by Blistna View Post
      I'm talking about they finish the original trilogy envisioned by the original creators? Do you think it wouldn't do well? The original film wasn't received well, from what I can tell, and honestly I think the show and the two movies we have are better then what we got with the original film.

How would you guys feel if that happened? I would have mixed feelings, maybe even mad, because I want the characters I have fallen in love with to be in the big feature film, not the original ones.

However, I think eventually I would go see the movie. Would you guys?
      to do the movie would be to undo sg1 and everything that was done. it would officially kill any chance of an sg1 movie coming out...

They had stargate 2.. its called Children of The Gods.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

The most recent information I've read, granted which was from before the release of AoT, stated that Devlin simply wanted to finish his story but because of how strong the fanbase of the Bridge Studios productions is, he had no intention to "tread" on their stories. He said he believes the shows story could exist after his stories were finished. It wouldn't take a huge stretch to simply put Daniel back on Abydos at the end of the third film. It isn't the best way to resolve it, I know (there is the rather large issue of tying together all mythologies which SG-1 did already) but hell, it might actually give the SG-1/Atlantis writers a reason to revisit both shows with more films or dare I saw, new seasons. Remember, ultimately Star Trek: TNG was created because of the huge fan following of the original show and movie franchise, quality notwithstanding.

However, as I said, there isn't much new news since then and I would bet that the succes of the DTV films put the kibosh on any plans. Additionally, back in 2002, Brad Wright also said, "Devlin can wish to do a sequel to Stargate all he wants. MGM owns the rights, and I doubt very much that they'll ask him to do it. He knows better." So, I would guess there isn't exactly good blood between the camps.

I would love to see direct sequels to the film, it's Stargate either way. It's just different, or maybe get the TV writers to work with Devlin and keep it neat so it doesn't alter the show any so it isn't different.

It's frustrating from the perspective of a TV show fan, but this really isn't too different, business wise, from the reason SGU was conceived: a reinvention to prevent the franchise from getting stale. Atlantis was created so the basic premise of SG-1 didn't have to be altered to follow another very different plot thread. If SGC team SG-15 had stepped through the gate to Pegasus and the SGC was only revisited from time to time, it wouldn't have been SG-1 anymore. Same goes for the Pegasus Expedition, if Zelenka and Major Lorne's team had found and boarded the Destiny and become stranded it wouldn't be Atlantis anymore. So, while I'm not happy with the cancellation of either show, truly SG-1 could have become really bad after the Ori arc concluded, from a business standpoint Atlantis can now become a DTV movie franchise with the stories they still have to tell. Universe will be something new. Stargate 2 and 3 could be too.

Comment

i dont have a problem with devlin wanting to finish his story but i have a huge problem with him coming out after so long and saying hey i want to finish my story because i didnt get a fair chance at it.the movie wasnt well received and i was 4 at the time but i hear it didnt make the money they thought it would.alot of movies are supposed to set up sequels but fail to reach a certain money requirement and so they never get made.he had his chance,didnt take advantage of it and now is jealous that BW,MGM and co. are more successful with his concept and he has every right to be but i dont buy for a second that he really thinks him finishing his original story wont undermine the series because it absolutly will.so unless he can compromise and somehow work with BW to have it some how mesh with sg1...dont do it.

Comment

All in all, agreed. No matter how well written, tidied-up, advertised, what have you, releasing a sequel to a movie that already got a sequel TV show would only anger and confuse people.

Not to mention that the TV show is more widespread than the movie ever was so people who have never watched an episode know what it is because it's so big. You say, "Hey, we got a sequel to an old movie you don't remember, it has nothing to do with the TV show," you're more likely to turn off the casual fan even more. Does anyone remember "Ferris Bueller 2"? Came out over a decade later and had none of the original cast involved, official sequel or not, no one cared.

Comment

I don't like the idea of Stargate 2. First of all, there would be a lot of contuinity problems and endless debate what is and what isn't canon. And I already treat seasons 9/10 and AoT as AU so I really don't need another movie which I wouldn't consider canonical, thank you very much.

Then there's a fact, that I'm not a huge fan of the original movie. I saw SG-1 first; it was the middle of the first season when I watched the movie for the first time. I liked it well enough, once I got used to different actors, lack of Jaffa and Goa'uld Ra. I absolutely love the concept and its execution wasn't bad. I'd say it's one of the best sci-fi movies out there. That being said, it was made as a Hollywood blockbuster and this kind of films just isn't my thing. I'm a huge fan of sci-fi, but I much prefer sci-fi tv series to sci-fi theater movies, which I find incredibly stupid; they tend to replace logical script and interesting characters with great SFX..but this is rant for another time.

Anyway, my point is, that while the movie was quite good, it certainly wasn't the best one. And as others have said, the series have surpassed it in every possible way, so why should we go back?
              And frankly I dislike Devlin/Emmerich movies. I believe that Stargate was their best work, and each next project got progressively worse..so the last thing I'd want for my beloved series is to go back into their hands. Especially after all the badmouthing SG-1 that they did. And seriously..Yeti in a Stargate film? It speaks for itself.
              There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
              sigpic
              awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

I agree completely. Two guys lost their toy and when someone else got good with it, they want it back. Let it go, do your own thing.

One thing though:
                Originally posted by col aga View Post
                And seriously..Yeti in a Stargate film? It speaks for itself.
                So, you buy space-aliens taking over human bodies, men in suits of disappearing armor, traveling through a space/time anomaly via a giant metal ring found in the Egyptian desert, but the Abominable Snowman (which is widespread believed by many in the scientific community) is beyond the pale ridiculous?

Comment

I never even saw the origional movie... BUT if they did a movie trilogy with the characters that are in the serieses AND they still had SG-1 and Atlantis... that would be awesome!
                  SIGN THE PETITION: http://www.savesgu.tv/petitions/mult...-sgu-petition/
                  LIKE THE FACEBOOK PAGE: http://www.facebook.com/SaveSGU
                  READ THE PLAN: http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/8...aving-Stargate
                  Spread the word! Save the gate!

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel Forte View Post
                    So, you buy space-aliens taking over human bodies, men in suits of disappearing armor, traveling through a space/time anomaly via a giant metal ring found in the Egyptian desert, but the Abominable Snowman (which is widespread believed by many in the scientific community) is beyond the pale ridiculous?
                    lol when you put it quite like that... It seemed more reasonable in my head.

Anyway I don't have any issues with Yeti per se - I just don't care one way or another. But all the things you listed belong to the science fiction realm; Yeti - not so much..Yeti and aliens together - I'm sorry but for me it is ridiculous. Even if I love Chewie in Star Wars
                    There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                    sigpic
                    awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by col aga View Post
                      lol when you put it quite like that... It seemed more reasonable in my head.

Anyway I don't have any issues with Yeti per se - I just don't care one way or another. But all the things you listed belong to the science fiction realm; Yeti - not so much..Yeti and aliens together - I'm sorry but for me it is ridiculous. Even if I love Chewie in Star Wars
                      Much better explanation, I do understand what you're saying about separate realities. I myself would consider Yeti/Sasquatch/Loch Ness to be a facet of sci-fi, but only when done right. If Yeti could have been explained within the context of the film as an alien animal transplanted to Earth or maybe a hologram created to deter people from finding a technological secret, I think it could have worked. It's not all that different from the way they explained Thor's Earth appearance and his actual Asgard appearance in SG-1 or the way the Atlantis myth was explained as a spaceship city. I wouldn't mind hearing what the final 2 films would have been like, but I don't need them to be made, it would simply answer some questions the first movie might have raised, and that's all I want.

Comment

No matter how well written, tidied-up, advertised, what have you, releasing a sequel to a movie that already got a sequel TV show would only anger and confuse people.
                        Why? I don't get the big deal. People aren't entirely stupid, and there would certainly be enough interviews and such to point out that while TV Stargate came from the movie, it differed from the beginning, and that the new movie differs from the TV shows. Folks should be able to grasp that they are two separate entities.

Comment

That's just how it looks to me based on my past experiences. How many casual fans who didn't catch more than an episode of Star Trek Enterprise knew it was a prequel to the 60's show? You anger the people who cared and you confuse the people who didn't. Confused people strike me as not likely watch again or more. That's just my take.

Perhaps I am just underestimating how much casual fans know. I figure casual fans enjoy it but don't pay any attention. Does anyone else consider a casual fan someone who cares but doesn't make it a priority to watch? That might clear up some confusion if I (we?) knew that.

Comment

Heh, well, it is pretty unusual for me to be making the 'people are smarter than hammers' argument. I'm kind of stepping outside the box, here. You may have a point.

Comment

i dont think it will confuse people...well most people lol.i just dont think it makes any sense to make a new direct sequel to the original movie when the show is the sequel and conitinuation of afformentioned(is that spelled right?) original movie.and yes col.forte that would be my definition of a casual fan so u are not alone

Comment

Originally posted by kennythewraith View Post
                                i dont think it will confuse people...well most people lol.i just dont think it makes any sense to make a new direct sequel to the original movie when the show is the sequel and conitinuation of afformentioned(is that spelled right?) original movie.and yes col.forte that would be my definition of a casual fan so u are not alone
                                It doesn't have to make sense Kenny, it's Hollywood. Dean Devlin and Roland Emerich are just pissed that someone else did their idea better and when they had no other project to do and MGM was considering a movie, they took their shot at another opportunity to do it right. Several people have said it'll never happen ever, but that won't keep two kids who discovered someone else was having fun with their toy from trying to take it back.

Still, I wouldn't mind seeing it anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X