Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is a very good thread, kudos, green for all, and the "squid" picture!

sigpic
    Sig made by squirrely1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
    *PM me if you clicked on that link*

Comment

Originally posted by LightningSt View Post
      this ought to be of some interest to you

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=49576

there is a map in a spoiler tag on one of those posts
      Difficult to judge its realism.
      The only sure thing is the map of the Local Group with the irregular Pegasus Dwarf being the Pegasus Galaxy in SGA.(it is the only galaxy at 3 millions light years in the Pegasus constellation)

Comment

Real "accurate" galactic maps are hard to do in the first place, like Star Wars. and even then there is a problem with the writers keeping it strait and representing a 3d enviroment on a 2d space.

Now imagine the locations of the SG map(s). P3x-351 is just a ramdom nuber made up by the writers, as far as I know. We can never really find out were these planets are supposed to be, with out canon help. But as soon as we do, give me a call.
        By Nolamom
        sigpic

Comment

You don't suppose Triple A has some good maps of the galaxy eh?
          My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

They are impossible to make, unless you go so far out you can see the entire thing.

you could make one of Andromeda, because you can see it in its enteity

Spoiler:

But one of the milky way is impossible, because of the way we see it.

Spoiler:

Want to see how hard it is?

go to a parking lot full of cars
            put your eye at ground level, and try to make an accurate sketch of how the dars are parked. It is hard because you only see in one demsion.

Go Green

Comment

and to add up to the difficulty, add flying cars above those, and make things more random.
              It is impossible to display 3d space accurately on any level with just one view unless you use a 3d simulation.
              By Nolamom
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wkw427 View Post
                Want to see how hard it is?

go to a parking lot full of cars
                put your eye at ground level, and try to make an accurate sketch of how the dars are parked. It is hard because you only see in one demsion.
                Or another way of putting is to use the old adage about not being able to see the forest through the trees.
                My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

but we do know how the galaxy looks like in the sgverse, still won't make it any easier to draw a map of the planets with out 3d software or canon info.
                  By Nolamom
                  sigpic

Comment

The problem with making a glactic map for stargate is we know the planets but we have no idea where any of the are in trms of distance or what stars they orbit.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Archaeis View Post
                      The problem with making a glactic map for stargate is we know the planets but we have no idea where any of the are in trms of distance or what stars they orbit.
                      We know they're distance, as we know their co-ords from 6 points in space, however, unless there's a discovered star there, then we don't know which star they orbit.

Comment

I'm not looking for a picture perfect map lol. I'm sure most of you have seen the Star Trek Cartography book? Something like that
                        There is nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself. You can't remake the past, so look ahead...or risk being left behind

Comment

Originally posted by Prometheus 1 View Post
                          I'm not looking for a picture perfect map lol. I'm sure most of you have seen the Star Trek Cartography book? Something like that
                          Same problem; we've never been given a precise location of the gates, and of the terratories in relation to the galaxies, largely due to travel between all the gates in the galaxy being instantaneous for humans for most of the seasons; location wasn't an issue.

Seeing as the Goa'uld, Lucian Alliance etc had ships, location would be an issue, they probably controlled planets that were close-by; allowing their ships to reach them easy. Humans could just occupy any planet and defend it wherever it may be, due to the current lack of ships.

Mainly, seeing as the Gate system makes travel time a moot point, there probably wont be any Stargate maps created; unless Worlds decides to invent their own and it be accepted as canon, m'fraid.

Comment

Wasn't there a map of the MW, when Jack put in the new coordinates for the gates in 'The Fifth Race'?

Comment

Originally posted by greytop View Post
                              Wasn't there a map of the MW, when Jack put in the new coordinates for the gates in 'The Fifth Race'?
                              yes exactly. All we would really need would be to find any and all maps like that through out the series and just work from there. Albeit there would be a few places that would be difficult to plot but at least it would be a start.
                              There is nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself. You can't remake the past, so look ahead...or risk being left behind

Comment

Milky Way is a nice-sized galaxy. Ida is extremely close to Milky Way. Pegasus is a Dwarf Galaxy and also close to Milky Way.

The Alterran/Ori Galaxy is so far away that even the best hyperspace tech cannot reasonably transport people to Milky Way from there.
                                sigpic
                                "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                                ~David Hewlett

Comment

Working...
                                X