This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Acension relative?

First I apologize if this topic has been done before. This has to do with what is considered ascension in Stargate SG1. Is it relative to who you are?

If it could think, would any animal with more than one cell be an ascended being to an amoeba? Would a land animal be an ascended being to an aquatic animal? Would we be ascended beings to an ape? It seems that leaving a physical body and becoming a spirit(?) is ascension to us. In other words, if you believe in evolution, is each stage in the evolutionary process considered ascension? Or is the SG1-type of ascension the only kind there is? Like, is there no ascension after that ascension? Or does it matter?

~Dave

Originally posted by ~Dave View Post
    First I apologize if this topic has been done before. This has to do with what is considered ascension in Stargate SG1. Is it relative to who you are?

If it could think, would any animal with more than one cell be an ascended being to an amoeba? Would a land animal be an ascended being to an aquatic animal? Would we be ascended beings to an ape? It seems that leaving a physical body and becoming a spirit(?) is ascension to us. In other words, if you believe in evolution, is each stage in the evolutionary process considered ascension? Or is the SG1-type of ascension the only kind there is? Like, is there no ascension after that ascension? Or does it matter?

~Dave
    I don't think so. Ascension is described as the process of shedding the physical body and rising to a higher plane of existence.

Comment

~Dave
      Aren't we getting away from ourselves? Evolution brings about many changes in many species. Humanity is thought to be the first animal capable of abstract thought. WE have a more hightened understanding of the world around us. Most animals only operate instinctually, motivated by hunger or the urge to mate. It takes alot of pure brain power and self awareness to achieve Ascension, and Humans are the closest. Not to say that Dolphins couldn't achieve it, they are very intelligent beings, but right now, only Highly evolved organisms at the top of the food chain are capable of ascension. Did I ramble, I think I did
      "I didnt see you in church last sunday, were you there?"
      "Yes, I was there."
      "Oi, I didn't see you, I was juss worry apout you"
      "Is dat your chob?! You sit and coun da beople in the churg and not in da churg"
      "No I was chus wondring"
      "Maybe if I win the Lotto Ill make heaps of money and puy you a life"

Comment

Humans aren't actually "more evolved" than any other species on earth. All creatures on earth are equally evolved, it's just that they evolved differently.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
          Humans aren't actually "more evolved" than any other species on earth. All creatures on earth are equally evolved, it's just that they evolved differently.
          Good Point
          "I didnt see you in church last sunday, were you there?"
          "Yes, I was there."
          "Oi, I didn't see you, I was juss worry apout you"
          "Is dat your chob?! You sit and coun da beople in the churg and not in da churg"
          "No I was chus wondring"
          "Maybe if I win the Lotto Ill make heaps of money and puy you a life"

Comment

Originally posted by ASAKATA View Post
            Aren't we getting away from ourselves? Evolution brings about many changes in many species. Humanity is thought to be the first animal capable of abstract thought. WE have a more hightened understanding of the world around us. Most animals only operate instinctually, motivated by hunger or the urge to mate. It takes alot of pure brain power and self awareness to achieve Ascension, and Humans are the closest. Not to say that Dolphins couldn't achieve it, they are very intelligent beings, but right now, only Highly evolved organisms at the top of the food chain are capable of ascension. Did I ramble, I think I did
            If a Dolphin could ascend then so could an Octopus! It has been proven that octopuses can learn from observing the action of other octopuses. An octopus in one tank was trained that if it hit a red ball it would be rewarded with food, whereas it wouldn't if it hit a white ball. Octopuses in adjoining tanks took less time to learn this than by trial and error, suggesting they have the basics of conceptual thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Alteran of Atlantis View Post
              I don't think so. Ascension is described as the process of shedding the physical body and rising to a higher plane of existence.
              The concept of "higher" and "lower" planes is relative, I suppose. Orlin points out that the Ancients are, even in their state, still interested in further enlightenment, so presumably there are planes that are "higher" still. Ascension has to do with existing as energy and possessing a greater understanding of the universe. There is also a spiritual component: physical evolution is not enough to allow one to ascend.

There is no reason in my mind to consider a land animal, for example, more highly evolved than an aquatic one; ascension refers to transcending our current level of consciousness, to living as pure energy. I don't think this is analogous to simply adapting to a different environment.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
                If a Dolphin could ascend then so could an Octopus! It has been proven that octopuses can learn from observing the action of other octopuses. An octopus in one tank was trained that if it hit a red ball it would be rewarded with food, whereas it wouldn't if it hit a white ball. Octopuses in adjoining tanks took less time to learn this than by trial and error, suggesting they have the basics of conceptual thought.
                That's why we have keep polluting the oceans to wipe them out. It won't take long before octopuses learn to use their tentacles to open our skulls like a tuna can and devour our juicy delicious brains.

Comment

Originally posted by Discotrash View Post
                  The concept of "higher" and "lower" planes is relative, I suppose. Orlin points out that the Ancients are, even in their state, still interested in further enlightenment, so presumably there are planes that are "higher" still.
                  This makes me wonder what those "higher" planes are.

Physical existence = matter
                  "Ascended" existence = energy
                  beyond-"ascended" existence = time (?)
                  sigpic
                  Don't touch Lola

Comment

~Dave
                    There are no 'stages' in evolution, it's a continuous process. Ascension as it's understood in the SG universe is the process in which an animal sheds it's physical forms and lives as pure energy.

Originally posted by ASAKATA View Post
                    No we're not, hell there's evidence animals as 'primitive' as mice can think abstract thoughts. All these concepts that are supposed to separate us from animals like being sentient, or having self-awareness or using logic or being capable of metacognition are all myths, nothing so clean cut separates us from animals.

Comment

Didn't Oma say that ascension is the beginning of the journey, and not the end? If that's correct, then doesn't that mean that there are further stages of ascension after the first one?

About evolution. I thought that the theory was that life evolves from the more primitive to the more advanced forms of life. From single cells to more complex beings. So from our point of view, could the SG1 ascended beings be just the next step in our current evolution?

~Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Rickington View Post
                        This makes me wonder what those "higher" planes are.

Physical existence = matter
                        "Ascended" existence = energy
                        beyond-"ascended" existence = time (?)
                        Super-Beyond-Ascended Existence = The Tesseract?
                        Wraith Humour. I has it.

Comment

Originally posted by Heqet View Post
                          Super-Beyond-Ascended Existence = The Tesseract?
                          There may be nothing in our world which corresponds to what lies outside. It may be impossible to think outside the box, when all you know lies inside the box. There may be things we can't think about. That is, until we can physically move outside the box. Would that be ascension? And then would there be an ascension after that one? How many could there be? Is there an end?

~Dave

Comment

Didn't Oma say that ascension is the beginning of the journey, and not the end? If that's correct, then doesn't that mean that there are further stages of ascension after the first one?

About evolution. I thought that the theory was that life evolves from the more primitive to the more advanced forms of life. From single cells to more complex beings. So from our point of view, could the SG1 ascended beings be just the next step in our current evolution?

~Dave
                            That is exactly what ascension is - the next step in evolution. But again, it is not just physical, it is spiritual. It wouldn't just happen automatically after a certain period of time. It requires meditation and a shedding of burdens similar to Buddhism on top of all the evolutionary requirements.

Comment

~Dave
                              it's all relative, carter could explain it all but we'd be here a while

KEEP IT CLEAN
                              Alternate BAMSR:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNCunG0llLk
                              Halo Alpha Centauri trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb5po1zQE1k

Comment

Working...
                              X