This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incoming Wormholes

I have again been wondering why the creators of SG-1 weren't able to iron out the inconsistancies with the way a Milky Way gate acts when it is about to recieve an incoming wormhole. Throughout the series, there are about half a dozen different things the gate has done. I only wonder becasue this sort of thing seems to be absent in Atlantis Does anyone have any new ideas?

And on a separate note, why is it that in some episodes the chevron lights seem to be on both sides of the gate and other times not? If they only have one prop, how does this happen? (in episodes like The Gamekeeper and Beachhead)

Magic. And giant worms.
    Wraith ships are giant lobsters.

Comment

Originally posted by songar87 View Post
      I have again been wondering why the creators of SG-1 weren't able to iron out the inconsistancies with the way a Milky Way gate acts when it is about to recieve an incoming wormhole. Throughout the series, there are about half a dozen different things the gate has done. I only wonder becasue this sort of thing seems to be absent in Atlantis Does anyone have any new ideas?
      I noticed that aswell though i dont know why they couldnt stick to something instead of changing all the time. As for the Atlantis gate it doesnt really have alot of incoming wormholes as most people in the PG have no idea where Atlantis is.

Comment

And on a separate note, why is it that in some episodes the chevron lights seem to be on both sides of the gate and other times not? If they only have one prop, how does this happen? (in episodes like The Gamekeeper and Beachhead)

Because they rarely if ever take the stargate prop on location. They insert a CGI model into scenes. This work is sometime taken on by different studios than their normal ones they used for the majority of eps and they create their own in house Stargate model for their bit of work. Unfortunately the producers do not always check for what they perceive as minor details. Plus I guest they would have to repay for the work to be done. Especially if they signed it all off in the early stages. Plus most of the audiences would not notices such slight mistakes.

This is the reason Atlantis sometimes changes some of it minor details.

Why they cannot keep a central copy of the models, and then just send copies stargates and ships to the studios to do their work, I do not know. Through this could be because CGI studios used different software and 3d software are known to be completely incompatible with each other. That is not entirely correct they are compatible but require a lot of conversion work, which can in same cases take longer than building a model from scratch.
        Last edited by knowles2; 14 October 2008, 07:00 AM.

Comment

I was always confused about how sometimes the chevrons lit up then clunked and it opened, then theres time when the gate spun to lock then clunked it was always a moment

Comment

Originally posted by Kris_x-303 View Post
            I was always confused about how sometimes the chevrons lit up then clunked and it opened, then theres time when the gate spun to lock then clunked it was always a moment
            Look at my previous answer.

In cannon solution could be that not all stargates have the same operating systems.

Comment

I believe it's just laziness on the editor's part.

We know that with the MW gate, with an incoming wormhole, the inner ring spins and the chevrons lit up clockwise with the 7th chevron locking on before the wormhole is established.

However, in many episodes as well as Stargate Continuum, the inner spins then stops with the 7th chevron locking for each chevron as if it's an outgoing wormhole, only to find that it's an incoming wormhole.

Speaking of which, there's one scene on Continuum where Teal'c attaches the device to dial the Russian gate, well, it sounds like the inner ring is spinning yet visually, it doesn't.

Comment

Sounds like a plot hole/inconsistency in cannon to me (morethanlikey due ot laziness or inattention to minor, but important/vital details, by TPTB). I wish TPTB would pay more attention to these things, I know fandom does (as evident by threads like this)!

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                  In cannon solution could be that not all stargates have the same operating systems.
                  But do not the gates dial eachother and update themselves?

What happens if a gate crashed when its being updated, do you get a blue crystal of death, or do you need a new BIOS crystal? lol...

Comment

Originally posted by Trig View Post
                    But do not the gates dial eachother and update themselves?

What happens if a gate crashed when its being updated, do you get a blue crystal of death, or do you need a new BIOS crystal? lol...
                    They revert back to the basic cool looking gate spinning mode. That the designer put their to make it look cool. But hey travelers working on a time limit do not have time for cool thing so they change the program to decrease travel time.

The ancients had an old saying time is money.

Comment

Working...
                    X