Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I mostly lurk & read but really care about Stargate & feel I have to vent a little

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I mostly lurk & read but really care about Stargate & feel I have to vent a little

I'm not even sure if this is the right place for this. So forgive me in advance if it's not or if this comes across as too harsh. Sometimes you have to be tough with those you care about. So here goes.

I tune in every week to spend an hour with familiar characters I've come to care about like old friends. To see action, adventure, new civilizations and new things to spark my imagination

For me there is so little to watch on tv anymore. To sit down and take my mind off work, the bills, the traffic, the rude person at the store etc.

Writers and producers are all trying to be edgier and "cool" and I think most everyone agrees that as a whole = What's out there right now is also a lot of garbage.

I know it's got to be tough to have to hurry up and "put something out there" Deadlines have to be met. I imagine after awhile it's easy to run out of steam and ideas. But the writers cheat by using "been there - done that" story ideas and repeatedly killing off beloved Characters for drama. tsk tsk not wise. Play any angle one too many times and people stop believing it

Stargate has done that with both shows. I cannot begin to explain how irritating and frustrating that has become. "To kill off 1 main character - or more- each season". It's kind of sadistic if you really want to know what it feels like from the fans point of view....... Allow the fans to get to know and care about these people then kill them off? And keep doing it?

What kind of plan is that?!

And then trying to bring them back perhaps after realizing the mistake - it cost the show some credibility overall. Because then it became obvious the move was not very well thought out to start with.

There was so much potential (and still is) with Atlantis. I do not believe Atlantis explored all of Pegasus or it's possibilities. And I believe there are so many. Throughout 4+ seasons little plot morsels have come out during the shows that I'd think "Man I wish they'd follow up on that idea" But it didn't happen. I feel let down and cheated.

I'll probably watch Universe. Even though I feel some resentment towards it. I am with others and don't buy that the new show isn't the reason Atlantis was cancelled But I'll give it a chance.

However, a word of advice - forget shooting for the so-called younger audience. Try appealing to your longtime fans

Look back at what made Stargate a hit and stick with that formula. Or the new show won't even see 2 seasons. I want my Stargate fix, anything less will lose me.

"To kill off 1 main character - or more- each season". It's kind of sadistic if you really want to know what it feels like from the fans point of view....... Allow the fans to get to know and care about these people then kill them off? And keep doing it?

What kind of plan is that?!

And then trying to bring them back perhaps after realizing the mistake - it cost the show some credibility overall. Because then it became obvious the move was not very well thought out to start with.

There was so much potential (and still is) with Atlantis. I do not believe Atlantis explored all of Pegasus or it's possibilities. And I believe there are so many. Throughout 4+ seasons little plot morsels have come out during the shows that I'd think "Man I wish they'd follow up on that idea" But it didn't happen. I feel let down and cheated.
    I have to agree that killing off Carson and Weir were stupid decisions, but as I've thought, I think the decision to cancel Atlantis may have been for the best. It wasn't exactly the greatest show in the world (even though I enjoyed quite a bit), so they chose to cancel while it was still good and make movies for it.
    However, a word of advice - forget shooting for the so-called younger audience. Try appealing to your longtime fans

Look back at what made Stargate a hit and stick with that formula. Or the new show won't even see 2 seasons. I want my Stargate fix, anything less will lose me.
    Making the show more accessible for a younger audience doesn't exactly mean it will be Stargate: Gossip Girl. It probably means they want the show to appeal to not just Stargate fans now, but go back and do something like when they started. Or they want to make younger cast members, which I can see as something fresh. Aiden Ford was the youngest cast member in the entire franchise. Even though his character wasn't the best, it doesn't mean it was because of his age.
    Jack: Good morning campers!

The Answer To 1984 Is 1776!

Comment

I disagree. Spooks (the original, not Code 9) killed off one of the main characters in the very first season, decommissioned the leading man at the start of season 3, later in season 3 we saw the death and exile of the other two leading characters from S1 ep1, by Season 5, three main characters, two introduced in S2, another in S4 left the show either from being killed or otherwise. Not to mention another character killed in season 5.

That leaves only two characters in the show by the start of season 6 who were present from the first season, one of which was the General Hammond equivilent, another a Zelenka equivilent.

And by god the show keeps you on your toes with suspense. The Stargate writers could learn a lot from the writers or Spooks.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Xylian View Post
        I have to agree that killing off Carson and Weir were stupid decisions, but as I've thought, I think the decision to cancel Atlantis may have been for the best. It wasn't exactly the greatest show in the world (even though I enjoyed quite a bit), so they chose to cancel while it was still good and make movies for it.

Making the show more accessible for a younger audience doesn't exactly mean it will be Stargate: Gossip Girl. It probably means they want the show to appeal to not just Stargate fans now, but go back and do something like when they started. Or they want to make younger cast members, which I can see as something fresh. Aiden Ford was the youngest cast member in the entire franchise. Even though his character wasn't the best, it doesn't mean it was because of his age.
        I think tptb have messed up.

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
        I disagree. Spooks (the original, not Code 9) killed off one of the main characters in the very first season, decommissioned the leading man at the start of season 3, later in season 3 we saw the death and exile of the other two leading characters from S1 ep1, by Season 5, three main characters, two introduced in S2, another in S4 left the show either from being killed or otherwise. Not to mention another character killed in season 5.

That leaves only two characters in the show by the start of season 6 who were present from the first season, one of which was the General Hammond equivilent, another a Zelenka equivilent.

And by god the show keeps you on your toes with suspense. The Stargate writers could learn a lot from the writers or Spooks.
        Never heard of Spooks.

But I'd rather they go back to the first 5 seasons of SG1 and the first 2 of Atlantis and remember what made us want more

Comment

Spooks - British television show surrounding MI5 (Military Intelligence Section 5) - The British Security Service. The name MI5 is misleading, they're spies, and wear plain clothes and aren't actually military per se. It follows one of the departments in MI5 as they work to prevent terrorist attacks and espionage operations against Britain. Absolutely amazing tv series, and even though character have a short life expectancy the writers are so good you connect to them and care about them, in my case more than some Stargate characters. And, as death could be round the corner at any time, you really are filled with suspense, because unlike SG1 where you KNEW that the cast would always escape, with Spooks it's uncertain.

Basically it's proof that for a show to be good, you don't have to keep the same cast continuously. Change can strengthen the show if handled well.

(Not to be confused with the appauling spin off - Spooks: Code 9)

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Spooks - British television show surrounding MI5 (Military Intelligence Section 5) - The British Security Service. The name MI5 is misleading, they're spies, and wear plain clothes and aren't actually military per se. It follows one of the departments in MI5 as they work to prevent terrorist attacks and espionage operations against Britain. Absolutely amazing tv series, and even though character have a short life expectancy the writers are so good you connect to them and care about them, in my case more than some Stargate characters. And, as death could be round the corner at any time, you really are filled with suspense, because unlike SG1 where you KNEW that the cast would always escape, with Spooks it's uncertain.

Basically it's proof that for a show to be good, you don't have to keep the same cast continuously. Change can strengthen the show if handled well.

[IMG]http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Arts/Arts_/Pictures/2007/10/16/Spooks460.jpg[/IM G]

(Not to be confused with the appauling spin off - Spooks: Code 9)
            Meh... I watched one episode about a Viral attack and could not watch more than ten minutes... Why couldn't they of looked into how viruses actually work? it would of only taken 10 or so minutes to work out that what they had written was pure garbage.
            A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Originally posted by The_Carpenter View Post
              Meh... I watched one episode about a Viral attack and could not watch more than ten minutes... Why couldn't they of looked into how viruses actually work? it would of only taken 10 or so minutes to work out that what they had written was pure garbage.
              The viral attack was a training exercise, it didn't actually happen. Besides, what was wrong with the virus in the show?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I feel I need to vent a bit as well and this seems like a good enough place as any to let off some steam...

So at first I was ok with the cancellation of Atlantis being that we're going to be getting movies and a new series, but the more I hear TPTB talk about it, the angrier and more slighted I feel. I mean I'm all for Atlantis movies and a new series except it seems as if they are getting rid of the MAIN reason I watch Stargate. Deep-rooted, long to surface, and incredibly satisfying SCI-FI MYTHOLOGY. The first SGA movie is going to be, and I quote...

"It will be more [like] Continuum than Ark of Truth in that it will continue the story of Atlantis in a one-off offering," he said. "While the adventure will be stand-alone, the character moments will certainly draw on past experiences and future potential."

-Joseph Mallozzi

This upsets me to no end. Coupled with the fact that they said the same thing about Universe. Younger cast, less Sci-fi mythology and more character drama. But that's not what this franchise is to me. It's all about a balance of these 4 things: Sci-fi Mythology, heart-pounding action, a bit of comedy, as well as the character moments. This new shift will completely change the way TPTB tell Stargate stories, and not for the better.

Now I know this is going to seem a bit premature and possibly a bit exaggerated but I think this is the end of Stargate as we know it. They want to bring in more viewers so the movies will all be one-off filler episodes which is fine, when coupled with canon episodes. THAT'S ANOTHER REASON THIS FRANCHISE WORKED! A perfect balance of canon and filler. Now it will never be the same again. Instead of satisfying their existing fanbase they are going to alienate us for the PROSPECT of new fans. This is entirely unacceptable to me.

I will definitely be watching Universe and the SG-1 and SGA movies, but with a grain or two of salt. I can already feel this new shift coming on and once season 5 is over, it's R.I.P. Stargate, at least in the way we know it. [Cue Military Bugle]

Last edited by Buddhawasanancient; 24 August 2008, 10:22 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

The viral attack was a training exercise, it didn't actually happen. Besides, what was wrong with the virus in the show?
                  I didn't get the impression that is was a training exercise... one of the team was infected and was apparently going to die within hours or days of infection, Viruses don't cause fatality that quickly they require time to replicate and spread the infection to a large number of cells.

Also there is no antidote for viruses... there is interferon but those are only effective against RNA based viruses and all follow a standard mechanism of action and H5N1 is immune to its effects. Basically the only effective step would be the preventive measure of vaccination.
                  A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

There is something I am quite at odds with, it's called STARGATE Universe yet it is set on a ship. However as Atlantis is the only new show I watch nowadays of course I will give Universe a chance.

Maybe the writers could make it more like Red Dwarf (seasons 1-5).
                    LIKES: Half-Life, Half-Life 2, ST: DS-9, ST: TNG, Eric Clapton, GTA 4, SGU, MW + MW2, Red Dead Redemption,
                    Scarlett Johansson, Father Ted, The Portal Series, The Assassin's Creed Series, Trailer Park Boys.

DISLIKES: Reality T.V Shows and so called reality t.v stars, people who don't wear seatbelts,
                    99.999% of new Music out now, 80% of new Movies out now.

Last Game Completed: Portal 2

Last Movie Watched For The First Time: Dumbo (1941)

Comment

Originally posted by The_Carpenter View Post
                      I didn't get the impression that is was a training exercise... one of the team was infected and was apparently going to die within hours or days of infection, Viruses don't cause fatality that quickly they require time to replicate and spread the infection to a large number of cells.

Also there is no antidote for viruses... there is interferon but those are only effective against RNA based viruses and all follow a standard mechanism of action and H5N1 is immune to its effects. Basically the only effective step would be the preventive measure of vaccination.
                      They weren't told it was a training exercise until the end. Neither were we.

I actually really enjoyed that episode, I'm not an expert on viruses, but surely certain viruses, particularly the kind used for bio warfare can be very deadly very quickly?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

i agree with you. why kill off people and then bring them back,
                        just like seson 5 why get 2 new main chars. richard adn keller.
                        why even bring up a new enemy that we might had see more of. butt no lets cancel the show
                        now my brothers in arms,, i stand before you now, like our for father did in the heed of battel,let us take the steel and our honor to victory

Comment

Originally posted by lommit View Post
                          i agree with you. why kill off people and then bring them back,
                          just like seson 5 why get 2 new main chars. richard adn keller.
                          why even bring up a new enemy that we might had see more of. butt no lets cancel the show
                          Bringing them back IS stupid.

Killing them off? Enhances the show.

And frankly. I think Woolsey is the perfect base leader.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buddhawasanancient View Post
                            THAT'S ANOTHER REASON THIS FRANCHISE WORKED! A perfect balance of canon and filler. Now it will never be the same again. Instead of satisfying their existing fanbase they are going to alienate us for the PROSPECT of new fans. This is entirely unacceptable to me.
                            I have to agree with you there.

Originally posted by Lilli View Post
                            I tune in every week to spend an hour with familiar characters I've come to care about like old friends. To see action, adventure, new civilizations and new things to spark my imagination

For me there is so little to watch on tv anymore. To sit down and take my mind off work, the bills, the traffic, the rude person at the store etc.

Writers and producers are all trying to be edgier and "cool" and I think most everyone agrees that as a whole = What's out there right now is also a lot of garbage.

I know it's got to be tough to have to hurry up and "put something out there" Deadlines have to be met. I imagine after awhile it's easy to run out of steam and ideas. But the writers cheat by using "been there - done that" story ideas and repeatedly killing off beloved Characters for drama. tsk tsk not wise. Play any angle one too many times and people stop believing it

I'll probably watch Universe. Even though I feel some resentment towards it. I am with others and don't buy that the new show isn't the reason Atlantis was cancelled But I'll give it a chance.

Amen!
                            sigpic

Comment

I like Woolsey. He has faults but he cares and genuinely means well. I could respect him.

I didn't like Rodney at first but he grew on me. He still gets on my nerves so bad sometimes, though, I could reach through the tv and pop him on the head ("Move on/Settle down Rodney for crying out loud!") Atlantis can barely contain his ego. But can't imagine not seeing him weekly

Comment

Working...
                              X