This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asgard Survival

Here's a thought... not very well thought out but, how come the Asgards never used time dilation devices and such to find ways around their gene pool problem... surely if they knew for quite sometime it was a problem and they wanted to find an answer they could have used the technology to slow the degration of the gene pool and extend life spans that way...

any thoughts?

Originally posted by Sly12 View Post
    Here's a thought... not very well thought out but, how come the Asgards never used time dilation devices and such to find ways around their gene pool problem... surely if they knew for quite sometime it was a problem and they wanted to find an answer they could have used the technology to slow the degration of the gene pool and extend life spans that way...

any thoughts?
    I imagine they tried that as Thor said

"Everything that can be done, has been done"

They ran out of options not time....
    A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

I was under the impression that time passes at a "normal" rate inside the field. It is only slowed relative to time outside the field. So, if this is the case, I don't think it would give them any more "time".

~Dave

Comment

Originally posted by ~Dave View Post
        I was under the impression that time passes at a "normal" rate inside the field. It is only slowed relative to time outside the field. So, if this is the case, I don't think it would give them any more "time".

~Dave
        i think he means the cells them selfs would be surrounded by individual time diahalation fields so the cells would still die at normal rate but outside as such would seem like they are taking longer. if thats not what he meant then they should have done that lol
        Griffin: You aren't Spanish, are you?
        McKay: Oh yes! Of the Barcelona McKays!

Steam Asgard Commander of the Teal'c

http://www.youtube.com/partcontinuum

Comment

Originally posted by Steam View Post
          i think he means the cells them selfs would be surrounded by individual time diahalation fields so the cells would still die at normal rate but outside as such would seem like they are taking longer. if thats not what he meant then they should have done that lol
          But their whole body is made of these cells. So if all their cells are inside the field, wouldn't the whole person be in there?

~Dave

Comment

Originally posted by The_Carpenter View Post

And Bingo was his name-o!

Comment

Originally posted by The_Carpenter View Post

exactly....and if the Asgard couldn't figure it out, then no one probably could.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ~Dave View Post
                But their whole body is made of these cells. So if all their cells are inside the field, wouldn't the whole person be in there?

~Dave
                the asgard are smart they wpould have figured it out lol
                Griffin: You aren't Spanish, are you?
                McKay: Oh yes! Of the Barcelona McKays!

Steam Asgard Commander of the Teal'c

http://www.youtube.com/partcontinuum

Comment

EDIT: Oops! My bad... I was in a hurry to let the dog out and mixed up time dilation and time travel. Gah! So my post doesn't apply...

They may have had ethical considerations, as well. Messing around with time never seems to work out well; your left with all those messy altenate time line spurs as well and those are pretty icky (ie Daniel that was the Daniel of this time stuck in the past and now an 'alternate' when the timeline was changed in Moebius). Otherwise, they could go back in time and make changes to their genetic makeup, or prevent the changes that began the degredation, changing history for the entire galaxy in unexpected ways...
                  Last edited by amconway; 19 June 2008, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steam View Post
                    the asgard are smart they wpould have figured it out lol
                    Too bad they didn't fore-see genetic fading. The only solution is an infusion of new dna. AFAIK.

~Dave

Comment

Yeh i figured as much... although their aciecents aren't all knowing and even the replicators could do things with the time dilation device that Thor didn't understand so can't say it was totally impossible...

Plus they didn't have to go back in time and change it... just bring back more DNA samples... Considering the amount of DNA we collect and keep on file it's supprising a society like the Asgard's didn't keep records even millions of years ago

Comment

Originally posted by Sly12 View Post
                        Yeh i figured as much... although their aciecents aren't all knowing and even the replicators could do things with the time dilation device that Thor didn't understand so can't say it was totally impossible...

Plus they didn't have to go back in time and change it... just bring back more DNA samples... Considering the amount of DNA we collect and keep on file it's supprising a society like the Asgard's didn't keep records even millions of years ago
                        They are not capable of such "stupid ideas". They would need Carter to think of this for them.

~Dave

Comment

Well, can someone explain me what is genetic fading ? Actually, how would genetic fading happen when you keep cloning the same dna over and over...

And can anyone also explain how to use the time dilation to prolong life ? If your cells are inside a time dilation field, with time moving slower there, you would be screwed cuz to you, it would be the same as it not working.

The way time dilation would help a dieing race would be either putting the scientists in a time faster time, or the population on a slower time.

As for going back to get dna.. unless there were a major incident that made them lost data, they were supposed to have it, how can you change your dna, if you dont know it ?

I guess the best thing to do is just overlook it.

Comment

Originally posted by Unbreak View Post
                            Well, can someone explain me what is genetic fading ? Actually, how would genetic fading happen when you keep cloning the same dna over and over...
                            If we clone individuals, we lose diversity and genetic fading will cause extinction.
                            Without getting too technical, basically taking someone’s DNA and injecting it into an egg cell is only the tip of the iceberg. As previously noted, the shape of the DNA, the proteins, and more determine the way genetic code will be expressed. Also the copying of a copy, of a copy,…of anything will never result in anything as good as the original. Besides cloning defies diversity, which mankind needs to survive.

Copied from another web site:

http://www.journaloftheoretics.com/E...Vol-5/e5-5.htm

~Dave

Comment

Hello everyone, I'm a newcomer
                              About the "copy of copy of copy of..." thing, I think if they keep an "original" cell, and make copy out of it, then all the copies are just F1, so they don't fade or anything like it, right?
                              Sorry for my English, English is not my mother language, I hope you can understand what I mean.
                              BTW, do we have any Thor avatar in our avatar database, I can't find any

Comment

Working...
                              X