This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amb. Shepphard(ARC) View Post
    And the laziest people(The Air Forces PT test for the running part is one mile as the Army's is two miles).
    I think part of that is because in the army you are in the field fighting more often than in the air force. You need to be more physically fit to withstand this and in the Air force there is a lesser emphasis on that and a greater emphasis on flying planes and such.

Also, doesn't the air force has a few requirements stricter than in the army, like vision perhaps?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by System Lord Anubis View Post
      I've got my Associates in Computer Programming and (...) I'm incredibly smart
      Lol.

For non-North Americans, Associate's Degrees are the lowest possible post-secondary academic degrees. They are often considered half (at best) of an Undergraduate Bachelor's Degree. They are awarded by Junior Colleges (below standard colleges).

Associate's<Bachelor's (standard)<Master's<Doctorate
      Last edited by Ripple in Space; 27 June 2008, 08:33 PM. Reason: per PG15
      sigpic
      "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
      ~David Hewlett

Comment

Shouldn't the ">" be "<"?

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
          Shouldn't the ">" be "<"?
          no...er...um. In America intellectualism is frowned upon... therefore higher learning is equated with being less valuable...

lol

Seriously, I fixed it, thanks PG
          sigpic
          "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
          ~David Hewlett

Comment

While I have no doubt that the man is a genius in his own right--tactically, and he shows it all he needs to. It's not RDA playing it thick, it's Jack the character. He just likes to play thick. He does his job, and he does it very well. So what if he messes around? That's par for the course in some cases.

As for being a pilot, no. Pilots need to be scientifically and mathematically gifted. They need an engineering background, and some physics for weather and aerospace, but not necessarily more than that. Jack's got that (IMO). However, I've never met or heard of a master parachutist who was also a pilot, even (especially, actually) elite forces. That's a lot of really expensive (just over a million dollars for pilot alone) training and basically unnecessary for one person. He also doesn't wear pilot wings, only (big only) master parachute and master space. It's been a while since I've looked back through the seasons, but I don't think he ever wore pilot's. Most guys never take them off, no matter how long it's been. None of his ribbons are for flight either, last I checked. Personally, I always figured he had an astro and/or engineering degree, maybe a pol-sci. Don't we see them in his office once? Maybe enlisted first, probably OTS either way.

Carter's also got the skill set to be a pilot, but she's got just as much (if not more) on her plate. I think flying the X-301/2s was dramatic license. They wanted the same characters, so they just went ahead and used them.

Originally posted by Amb. Shepphard(ARC) View Post
            still lazy.
            It's quicker! Get on to more important things. Besides, Navy's 1.5mi too. Marines trump that suit at 3. The AF test works basically like the Army's (points for preforming certain numbers/times of different exercises), though the standards are different. It goes by age and gender.

Shoad: Yes, that's it, though times are changing. And yes, AF has the highest (with CG) ASVAB scores for enlistment, among other standards.
            sigpic
            "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
            Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

remember in Season 8 when O'Neill was in command and everyone underestimated him but he outwitted Baal and Camulus.

I'd say O'Neill would be very very learned in some classics (sun tzu)

but just like ordinary warm blooded dudes he enjoys a good brew, likes fishing. I guess in a job where you are constantly on the edge of peril, relaxin and not being too serious would get him by.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                Jack O'Neill in the film was much smarter than RDA's version. RDA gave the character a "thickness" for the sake of humor.

If Jack was real...than he would pretty much be a genius. Not only for pilot training but also for military career school. His degree in military operations would have to be master's or above...for major general...probably even higher.

In order for Jack to be an officer, promoted to full colonel, he cannot be as thick as RDA played him. And the show even had carter stating he was smarter than he let on...but in real life, any colonel who acted like Jack wouldn't be tolerated for very long. Doesn't matter how many time you saved the earth from aliens too.

Kind of need to know physics to be a pilot. Need to be really good at math too. Need to know weather patterns, aviation mechanics...with modern aircraft...a bit of a computer wiz.

He doesn't need to speak 37 different languages.

Carter as a pilot does fit with her scientist and mechanical background.
                As someone said, watch the behind the scenes with General Jumper and RDA getting his honorable general's something, they asked Jumper if O'neill was realisitc, he said "yeah we got colonels like him, and worse, you're doing fine"

Comment

Working...
                X