This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate gate Glyphs

I know i sound like a n00b here, but i have never been able to grasp the concept of the glyphs? 7 are need, right? and then what are the point of origins for? because i know different gates have different points of origins, and how do u figure them out?

Each gate has a unique point of origin. So each time you dial from earth for example, the 7. button is always /\.
    "Maybe one day you will learn that your way is not the only way!"

Visit Dr. Radek Zelenka's Complete Translations and thunk thread

All translations will be found in the first post of this thread, though i recommend to read the whole discussion ;]

Comment

Originally posted by veneticuss
      Each gate has a unique point of origin. So each time you dial from earth for example, the 7. button is always /\.
      but there r millions of gates, and i believe there r only 39 glyphs, so how does that work?

Comment

Originally posted by dd78matt
        but there r millions of gates, and i believe there r only 39 glyphs, so how does that work?

It's called a combination . . . hmm . . . actually it is a permutation; a combination allows you to reruse the available symbols. While a permutation only allows for each symbol to be used only once. The fourmula . . .

P=n!/(n-r)!

Where n is the number of glyphs and r would be 7 or the number of glyphs needed. If anyone happens to know how many glyphs are on a DHD then one could surmise the possible number of combinations. For example lets say there are . . . hmm . . . 36

p=36!/(36-7)!
        p=36!/29!

The ! means to expand out so . . .

p=(36)(35)(34)(33)(32)(31)(30)

we can cross off the 29 and below because they cancel each other out.

now we simply multiply the above and with 36 total symbols to choose from and 7 glyphs needed at any one time then there are a possible

42,072,307,200 gate addresses to choose from.

Comment

Hmmm, good point...... how do they know the "point of origin" on any givin planet?? On Earth we know it's the inverted V, but how do they know the POO for other planets? Is it like on a pay phone, where the phone's number is listed right on it?

Comment

Originally posted by jyh
            Hmmm, good point...... how do they know the "point of origin" on any givin planet?? On Earth we know it's the inverted V, but how do they know the POO for other planets? Is it like on a pay phone, where the phone's number is listed right on it?
            There are thirty eight standard symbols on the gate. They are the same on every gate. Every gate has one more symbol. This symbol is unique, you won't find it on any other gate. That is the PoO. Earth's is the ^ symbol. That symbol is not present on any other gate except ours. Instead of that, other gates have their own, unique PoO. So, to find the PoO, basically look for the unfamiliar symbol.
            Rocky

Comment

alright, so let me get this straight, when you r dialing out to a different gate, u use the gate' PoO that u r dialing from, so y then dont u need to include the gate' PoO that is recieving the incoming worm hole, but u need the PoO for the gate sending out a worm hole?

Comment

alright, so let me get this straight, when you r dialing out to a different gate, u use the gate' PoO that u r dialing from, so y then dont u need to include the gate' PoO that is recieving the incoming worm hole, but u need the PoO for the gate sending out a worm hole?
                Right, hence "point of _origin_".

Comment

Originally posted by rocket4477
                  There are thirty eight standard symbols on the gate. They are the same on every gate. Every gate has one more symbol. This symbol is unique, you won't find it on any other gate. That is the PoO. Earth's is the ^ symbol. That symbol is not present on any other gate except ours. Instead of that, other gates have their own, unique PoO. So, to find the PoO, basically look for the unfamiliar symbol.

Okay, like I said-- it's like a payphone with the number (PoO symbol) listed right on each phone (gate). That's simple & convenient. (Of course, it means you have to know all 38 symbols so you'll be able to recognize the 'odd' one that is the PoO.)

Comment

Originally posted by jyh
                    Okay, like I said-- it's like a payphone with the number (PoO symbol) listed right on each phone (gate). That's simple & convenient. (Of course, it means you have to know all 38 symbols so you'll be able to recognize the 'odd' one that is the PoO.)
                    Yeah, but if you couldn't recognize the regular symbols, it would be pretty hard to dial an address.
                    Rocky

Comment

They do not use only those 39 symbols. Heve you ever seen this symbol /\ on another gate then Earth??
                      "Maybe one day you will learn that your way is not the only way!"

Visit Dr. Radek Zelenka's Complete Translations and thunk thread

All translations will be found in the first post of this thread, though i recommend to read the whole discussion ;]

Comment

Originally posted by veneticuss
                        They do not use only those 39 symbols. Heve you ever seen this symbol /\ on another gate then Earth??
                        I think it was also on the Gate of the world SG-1 went to in 'New Ground'.
                        sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

Originally posted by Janus
                          I think it was also on the Gate of the world SG-1 went to in 'New Ground'.
                          It has been seen on off world gates several times, but it is due to production restraints, in reality it shouldn't be there.
                          Rocky

Comment

In "Lost City", Jack identified the glyphs as being an alphabet (where the /\ is read "At") and that the name of the planet they needed to get to was also it's gate address. Does anyone know how the gate address for Earth would be read? Or other planets?

I'd sure like to know what the Ancients called our planet
                            May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Comment

Beats me. I still don't know what the Tau'ri's address is.

To clear up any other confusions: imagine a glass box. Glue a string to each side of the box so that they intersect each other in the center of the box. Set it down. Now, take several laser pointers and place them at different points in the room (i.e. the TV, the mantle, book case, computer, etc.) Now, rig the laser pointers so that they will operate by remote control. Each one gets a different letter/number (i.e. the TV gets the letter R, the mantle gets the letter Q, the book case gets the letter L, the computer gets the letter E, etc.). Each time you press its distinct letter, the correct laser will operate and point into the center of the box where the strings intersect.

Each letter is unique and different from the others. I'm pretty sure all SG-teams are required to have at least one person who recognizes all symbols on the DHD so that they can identify the unique symbol for the planet's PoO.
                              Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

Working...
                              X