This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Betelgeuze View Post
    If you were going to chose someone as your mate wouldn't you want to see all of them before making the decision?
    Assuming that I did, that doesn't mean that I'd give the rest of the world a grandstand seat to see her as well. (world = tv audience)
    My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

Originally posted by Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper View Post
      Assuming that I did, that doesn't mean that I'd give the rest of the world a grandstand seat to see her as well. (world = tv audience)

Now there's a big flaw in your statement... You and I are watching the show so how are we to know what Apophis motives and actions are unless they show them onscreen... Bit silly to say in essence, "he's choosing a mate but we won't show that onscreen but have it all happen offscreen"
      Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
        Now there's a big flaw in your statement... You and I are watching the show so how are we to know what Apophis motives and actions are unless they show them onscreen... Bit silly to say in essence, "he's choosing a mate but we won't show that onscreen but have it all happen offscreen"
        Its also reasonable to assume that Apophis will choose his queens host based solely on looks. Given that Apophis wants a attractive host for his queen and the fact that he considers humans to be nothing more than cattle then its reasonable to assume that he will strip naked any possible host in order to see if she has any flaws which he cant see because of clothing.

Comment

Now there's a big flaw in your statement... You and I are watching the show so how are we to know what Apophis motives and actions are unless they show them onscreen...
          I think there's a flaw in your statement that there's a flaw in my statement. Do you mean to say that the audience won't be able to figure out what Apophis' motives are if the nudity is shown offscreen? Don't think so.

Comment

I think there's a flaw in your statement that there's a flaw in my statement. Do you mean to say that the audience won't be able to figure out what Apophis' motives are if the nudity is shown offscreen? Don't think so.

I think people are getting needlessly worked up over this, and this is a topic we are never ever all going to agree on..... I'm not participating in this thread any more but will keep reading it.

Comment

Showrunners, show creaters, directors, fans, everyone has differing views on what is appropriate and what isn't.

This is just my opinion, If you don't like it, don't watch it! If you're a parent letting a kid watch showtime past 9pm, you need to use your brain and realize that there could be nudity or sex on shows. In fact the season 1 and 2 have stickers on them warning of adult content, nudity when you buy them in stores. If a show seems to violent for you, don't watch it, if you want less nudity, don't watch it...no one is holding a gun to anyone's head(that I know of). Stop complaining and just change the freaking channel! Parents. Don't blame producers, studios shows, for what your kid sees on tv. You are responsible for what your kids watch, there have been a few, rare occasions where a show is purported to be kid friendly, and is far from it. But most of the time, you can use COMMMON SENSE.

Personally, I think the nudity is very mild, there is almost no sexual content in the 15 years of stargate, so one scene is not that bad, the violence, also not that bad, they could easily make it much more graphic more realistic. But they don't, in fact you hardly ever see blood on the show, and when you do, it's always a small amount. My point is, that when you consider what's out there, stargate is very mild compared to what it could be.

Comment

actually, it was amaunet that was choosing, not pops.

and the scene could have been done a slightly different way and still had the same impact....such as the POV being from the back, thus all we see is her bum, and we focus on the 'shopping' expressions on pops' and yameta's faces (she was the jaffa carrying amaunet).

make the focus more the depravity of the goa'uld and less on the 'oh goodie, we're on cable we can show boobies' which is what it was.

One reason this discussion exists is because brad DIDN'T want it in there. Didn't write it in there, and was TOLD that he needed to put it in there by the network

thus, in the mind of the show's creator, it wasn't necessary, yet in the minds of the network execs it was. and do we really need to go into the impressions we have of the judgement of network execs????
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

and the scene could have been done a slightly different way and still had the same impact....such as the POV being from the back, thus all we see is her bum, and we focus on the 'shopping' expressions on pops' and yameta's faces (she was the jaffa carrying amaunet).

make the focus more the depravity of the goa'uld and less on the 'oh goodie, we're on cable we can show boobies' which is what it was.

One reason this discussion exists is because brad DIDN'T want it in there. Didn't write it in there, and was TOLD that he needed to put it in there by the network

thus, in the mind of the show's creator, it wasn't necessary, yet in the minds of the network execs it was. and do we really need to go into the impressions we have of the judgement of network execs????
                  Oh dear lord no! Nine out of ten doctors recommend against engaging in any activity related to network executives, especially those with an acute sense of logic or a chronic passion for a beloved show. Those with a weakened immunity may exhibit many symptoms of over exposure and are advise to consult their doctors immediately. Use only as recommended.
                  Wraith, the OTHER white meat.
                  Loyalty above all else, except Honor.

Comment

that may have been the intent but it doesn't come across on screen as that............ if you actually watch the show for story and not just to find things to complain about!!

and put it in despite his high and mighty morals/ethics. he should have walked with his creation if that's the way he felt about it. he didn't, he sold out to get his show made and his paycheck............... so his talk of making it 'family' friendly is now suspect, because he thinks its ok to sell out for cash!................ not sure i want my family learning that. but then you do live in the states.

no, because it would be inevitably wrong, most likely something to do with us not being represented, when the fact is they make shows for the 'people'.................. and the 'people' want pop idol, x factor, big brother, next top model etc etc etc. the blame should rest with the 'lowest common denominator' in your country for lapping that &£%$^ up!!
                    it sucks i know, SGA is pretty much the only show i watch now. but i don't think the execs are going out of their way to piss me off personally by not doing things i would like.
                    sigpic
                    EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
                    -Liberty Prime

Comment

Brad Wright didnt want the nudity but im willing to bet if it was up to Martin Gero (the man who wrote and directed a movie called "Young People ****ing") was in charge and he was allowed to do what he wanted then we probably would see afew nude scenes on SG1/SGA.

Comment

and put it in despite his high and mighty morals/ethics. he should have walked with his creation if that's the way he felt about it. he didn't, he sold out to get his show made and his paycheck............... so his talk of making it 'family' friendly is now suspect, because he thinks its ok to sell out for cash!................ not sure i want my family learning that. but then you do live in the states.
                        ah yes, how DARE he 'sell out' and keep a few hundred people employed. that selfish man!!!!!!!!!

there's a saying, 'fight the battles you can win' or 'fight what's worth it' or 'take the path of least resistence'

and, i'm sure, in the grand scheme of things, a few seconds of gratuitous nudity was deemed a fair tradeoff for securing or not endangering a 2 year contract
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

ah yes, how DARE he 'sell out' and keep a few hundred people employed. that selfish man!!!!!!!!!
                          you misunderstand, i'm not complaining, just showing his apparent double standard in this issue, and showing when he was quite happy to go against these 'family principles' he now champions.
                          there's a saying "you should do as i say, not as i do".............. but only the guy who pays my wages can say that and even then i'll not do it if it goes against my principles (though truthfully i don't have many)

and, i'm sure, in the grand scheme of things, a few seconds of gratuitous nudity was deemed a fair tradeoff for securing or not endangering a 2 year contract
                          then his reasoning is meaningless at best, and an outright lie at worst. he doesn't believe in his principles enough to stick by them or suffer for them regardless, so why even bother to remove the scene?!?!

as for the employment level............. the tv schedule would have to be filled, probably a different show that would employ a similar amount of people, perhaps not those specific people!
                          but as we all know, shows get canceled! there is no guarantee of permanent employment in tv land.

to sum up, some would be worse off and some others would be better off, but its not like 200 people would not be employed because of stargate............. his principles would be intact and i would be happy enough without SG for that reason, as i wouldn't miss what i hadn't seen.

the only person missing out on something if he had stuck to them, would be him. and its easier to be virtuous with money. if you lost your job, would you sell recreational drugs despite thinking "drugs are bad, mmmmkay!!"? or would you look for another job where you didn't have to go against your principles?
                          sigpic
                          EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
                          -Liberty Prime

Comment

But censorship is everywhere..... Look at this article.

http://www.melonfarmers.co.uk/ow.htm..._Gully_Prudery

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...59-662,00.html

Scroll down the page to wher it mentions TTG council.

That's a local council in our area. They've been running an art contest for some 31 years and all of a sudden two items have been banned because they're nudes........ It just defies logic.

Comment

<sigh>And I thought for a moment this thread was about to die.
                              That's a local council in our area. They've been running an art contest for some 31 years and all of a sudden two items have been banned because they're nudes........ It just defies logic.
                              Hmm, guess they're not as open-minded in Australia about nudity as we were led to believe.

Comment

Hmm, guess they're not as open-minded in Australia about nudity as we were led to believe.
                                Since 1996 our nudity laws arent as relaxed due to the right wing government which was incharge but Australia's nudity laws are still alot more relaxed than in the USA.

- At 6:30pm i saw footage of a female streaker in a early 1980's football Grand Final
                                - At 7:30pm i once saw nudity on television as a travel show went to a nude beach.
                                - At 8:30pm nudity is allowed with a sexual context.
                                - At 9:30pm you are allowed nudity with a sexual context aswell as medium level sex scenes.

Comment

Working...
                                X