This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atlantis1 View Post
    How I see it is what does it do for Stargate? I can't find any good reasons for it unless they don't care about the serious viewer who wants a well written story. There have got to be enough other shows on tv with nudity that stargate doesn't need to be ruined by it.
    Why is it an issue? How could Stargate be 'ruined' by it? And don't you think scenes like the Sha're one and Daniels descension were enhanced by it?

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
      And don't you think scenes like the Sha're one and Daniels descension were enhanced by it?
      No, every stargate fan I know in real life (meaning not the internet) hates those two scenes. My sister has a friend that is a huge stargate fan, and once while I was watching it she said "I hope it's not the one where Daniel is naked, that part is gross"
      sigpic

Comment

i saw no need for either of them

why couldn't they, when daniel descended, do like they did when he dropped into jack's office and have someone hand him a towel or something?
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Daedalus-304 View Post
          No, every stargate fan I know in real life (meaning not the internet) hates those two scenes. My sister has a friend that is a huge stargate fan, and once while I was watching it she said "I hope it's not the one where Daniel is naked, that part is gross"
          Well what can I say, she's weird. Him lying naked in a fetal type position was supposed to symbolise rebirth, what exactly is gross about that?
          Last edited by jenks; 18 August 2008, 01:08 PM.

Comment

I'm not following the discussion, but when I just saw the thread title a second ago, a thought flashed through my head...

What if the team walked through the gate, and came out the other side naked (no clothes or weapons)? Oh, and - to make it more complicated - they can't go back through to Atlantis. Stuck. Naked. In the middle of nowhere. For some reason, it just struck me as funny...both for the obvious reasons, but also for the challenges it would create. Finding something to cover themselves in, making weapons, etc. Of course, it would be better with Teyla replaced with...say...Todd. I say this because the male/female naked thing was already done with Rodney in Duet, and out of respect for Teyla, I wouldn't want THAT bunch ogling her. But Todd, on the other hand...the 'green all over' jokes, for one, would be fun, but also - as a Wraith - he'd be the only one with a built-in weapon (get yer minds out of the gutter, fellow Worshippers). It would just be amusing, but probably better suited for fan fic...if I wrote fan fic.

das
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ykickamoocow View Post
              That completely depends on the context. Take for instance a tv series called 'The Human Body" which was made by the BBC. The starting sequence had about 30 naked people all ranging from 0 to 90 which symbolised the passage of time. The viewer saw naked people ranging from 0 to 90 and that included 1 or 2 preteens.

Child nudity is a very grey area but if there is apsoultely zero sexual context to the nudity and it is in there for a important reason then i dont see a problem with it.
              The thing is, sexual context is in the eye of the beholder, and important reasons are the easiest thing to make up after excuses for being late to work. Whatever your intentions, you should realize that when you lower the bar, you lower it for everyone- those with reasons and those without.
              If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
                I'm not following the discussion, but when I just saw the thread title a second ago, a thought flashed through my head...

What if the team walked through the gate, and came out the other side naked (no clothes or weapons)? Oh, and - to make it more complicated - they can't go back through to Atlantis. Stuck. Naked. In the middle of nowhere. For some reason, it just struck me as funny...both for the obvious reasons, but also for the challenges it would create. Finding something to cover themselves in, making weapons, etc. Of course, it would be better with Teyla replaced with...say...Todd. I say this because the male/female naked thing was already done with Rodney in Duet, and out of respect for Teyla, I wouldn't want THAT bunch ogling her. But Todd, on the other hand...the 'green all over' jokes, for one, would be fun, but also - as a Wraith - he'd be the only one with a built-in weapon (get yer minds out of the gutter, fellow Worshippers). It would just be amusing, but probably better suited for fan fic...if I wrote fan fic.

das

Das,das,das, sometimes you really make me wonder! LOL
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  i saw no need for either of them

why couldn't they, when daniel descended, do like they did when he dropped into jack's office and have someone hand him a towel or something?
                  Because the entire point of that scene was rebirth and vulnerability, neither of which you get if he's chillin' out under a blanket instead of curled up naked by himself in a field. That scene is the perfect Stargate case for artistic nudity. It wasn't there for titillation, it was quite clearly there to put the character in a vulnerable position. There was no sexual posing or innuendo, no highlighting of particular body parts, nothing in the angles or editing to indicate this was about anything but a character rendered a blank slate and left exposed to the elements and passerby.
                  They say the geek never gets the girl...what about the girl getting the geek?

Rodney/Teyla...it could happen

spoilers for "200"
                  Spoiler:
                  Gen. Hammond: It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I'm the general, and I want it to spin!

Vala: Are you saying that General O'Neill is...

Cam: My daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                    The thing is, sexual context is in the eye of the beholder, and important reasons are the easiest thing to make up after excuses for being late to work. Whatever your intentions, you should realize that when you lower the bar, you lower it for everyone- those with reasons and those without.
                    It works both ways though doesn't it? When you restrict something for one group of people you're restricting it for everyone, even those who don't want restrictions. At least with a more liberal approach it's left more up to the viewer to decide, as they can simply choose not to watch something and stop their children from doing so, whereas someone who's viewing options are being restricted has no option, as they can't watch what's not been allowed on TV.

Comment

Nudity & the Human body, are, IMHO & personal preference, natural & apart of life (what you think Adam & Eve wore before they supposed 'fall from gace'? ); although I do agree that there is a time & place for it on-screen, & it should fit the context of the story/scene/movie.

I do find it odd though that people (particularly in the West), generally speaking, seem to be ashamed of their bodies & that nudiy, sex, etc are seen as 'taboo' topics - IMHO they should be encouraged & talked about & celebrated for whom & what they are in a mautre, responsible context in light of the society in which such discussions take place & what is deemed approperiate for that culture, society or group (not everyone agrees with it, some are more comfy with it - such as myself - than others, some are not; it's just the way life is I guess! ).

Like all gods' gifts, the body should be respected, honoured, cherished & celebrated; & I see no harm in responsibly & maturely celebrating, honouring & cherishing one's body through sex, exercise, artistic expression, etc (note that this doesn't necessarily mean irresponsibility or blatant disregard for others or the laws & tenants of the cultre/soceity in which one lives!) - @ least IMVHO it should be!

As far as 'that' scene with Sha're from Children of the Gods, I see no harm in it (although I wouldn't recommend it for minors of those of a non-mature, open-minded persuasion, as it may offend some people - it's up to each individual to decide what they do & do not deem as 'approperiate') : I would be surprised if a Goa'uuld did not want to inspect a potential host ('inspect one's merchandise' as it were) before it decide to take them as their new host - they are, after all, going to spend the rest of eternity in this body (if all goes according to plan) - it seems to make sense to me from that perspective.

As for Young People F****ing, I haven't seen it; altough it sounds interesting from what I had heard/read about so far. Thoughts anyone (from those whom have seen)?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonzey View Post
                        I said nothing about corruption of the mind.
                        no, but others have.
                        It's a parent's right to decide what their children are exposed to.
                        i'd say it was more your 'responsibility' than a 'right'............ if it was your 'right', social services would never remove kids from their parents for whatever reason.

If they're ok with their child watching an action/adventure series with some violence then that's their choice. Maybe those same parents don't want their child to see nudity on television.
                        and they don't have to see nudity on tv.............they can turn it off or over............then everyone has the choice

You can argue about whether or not you think that's 'right', but unless they're your kids it's not up to you.
                        isn't that kind of the point of a forum?
                        sigpic
                        EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
                        -Liberty Prime

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                          Why is it an issue? How could Stargate be 'ruined' by it? And don't you think scenes like the Sha're one and Daniels descension were enhanced by it?
                          The Daniel one was a nice touch I thought, but again, there were no important naked bits shown, just his side. Perfect example of not needing full nudity for the sake of art. As someone said, it was all about him being sent down with nothing. No clothes, no memories.

The Sha're one seemed really forced and contrived. Which, as it has been stated, is because it WAS forced, by Showtime. If anything, it distracted me from what was going on, not enhance it. Could have been done easily without full frontal.

There are occasions where nudity adds a nice touch of realism to a scene, but you can almost always use something less than full nudity and get a better effect. Distracting the audience with some boobies or an ass actually detracts from the story.

Comment

Originally posted by akren View Post

I do find it odd though that people (particularly in the West), generally speaking, seem to be ashamed of their bodies & that nudiy, sex, etc are seen as 'taboo' topics - IMHO they should be encouraged & talked about & celebrated for whom & what they are in a mautre, responsible context in light of the society in which such discussions take place & what is deemed approperiate for that culture, society or group (not everyone agrees with it, some are more comfy with it - such as myself - than others, some are not; it's just the way life is I guess! ).

As you say this seems to be something perculiar only to most western countries. It's fascinating watching the many ways people argue about this and twist and turn about the issue.
                            Last edited by Coco Pops; 19 August 2008, 05:59 AM.
                            Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rlr149 View Post
                              and they don't have to see nudity on tv.............they can turn it off or over............then everyone has the choice
                              Exactly. If every network suddenly decided nudity was ok and put it in many more programmes than it was in before, then they make that choice for the parent. Thanks for backing me up

Comment

Originally posted by Jonzey View Post
                                Exactly. If every network suddenly decided nudity was ok and put it in many more programmes than it was in before, then they make that choice for the parent. Thanks for backing me up
                                no they don't, they provide shows that you can decide to watch or not.
                                if you honestly think that networks make you watch things! i suggest you start wrapping your head in tin foil to block out the 'evil rays'
                                sigpic
                                EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
                                -Liberty Prime

Comment

Working...
                                X