X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jenks View Post
    No it's not.
    But that is a matter of opinion, not fact. Then again, lust can lead to your "todd" That guy from Scrubbs. But the morality of nudity is not in question. Why shouldn't it be on the show is, and the main reason is cause it is offensive to many. This has been my point, grant it that I have been carried away with my arguments.
    By Nolamom
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
      But that is a matter of opinion, not fact. Then again, lust can lead to your "todd" That guy from Scrubbs. But the morality of nudity is not in question. Why shouldn't it be on the show is, and the main reason is cause it is offensive to many. This has been my point, grant it that I have been carried away with my arguments.
      But its clearly stated in Scrubs that Todd is like that because he had very unhealthy relationships with his parents.

Comment

Why add Nudity to Stargate?
        it was in the first episode, so the question should be "why take it away?"

and the random numbers aren't so random if you've seen '2001'
        Last edited by rlr149; 20 May 2008, 05:28 PM.
        sigpic
        EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
        -Liberty Prime

Comment

Originally posted by rlr149
          it was in the first episode, so the question should be "why take it away?"
          I give you this quote as a response.
          Originally posted by LostCityGuardian View Post
          Considering Brad Wright's opposition to it, I would like to believe that TPTB took this line as a way to integrate nudity that they didn't want to put in without it being gratutious. I can very easily see the voyeurs heading Showtime as wanting it that way, but I think that the nudity was integrated in a way that made it as lust-less as possible (if that's even a word).
          Based on this, It was forced into the show. It was never welcomed.

Originally posted by ykickamoocow
          But its clearly stated in Scrubs that Todd is like that because he had very unhealthy relationships with his parents.
          I meant to say a todd like figure. More like a peeping tom type of thing, not that it is the sole cause or what causes everyone to go down that path.

oh, and I haven't seen 2001, I would like to though once I get the change to.
          By Nolamom
          sigpic

Comment

I give you this quote as a response.

Based on this, It was forced into the show. It was never welcomed.
            the channel is paying for it, they have the right to say what goes in it

oh, and I haven't seen 2001, I would like to though once I get the change to.
            it very good books better though
            sigpic
            -Liberty Prime

Comment

Originally posted by rlr149 View Post
              the channel is paying for it, they have the right to say what goes in it
              It ain't paying now...Sci Fi is, and last I heard, Skiffy won't force it...I think(Considering BSG)
              it very good books better though
              hmm..I'll read the book first. I have a day off tomorrow. I'll pay a visit to my local library.
              By Nolamom
              sigpic

Comment

Another TV example..... Charlie from 2 1/2 Men

He literally bonks anything in a skirt regardless of consequence and they treat it as comedy with his misadventures. I'm not a prude but that's why I dislike the show. No consequence.
                Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

It ain't paying now...Sci Fi is, and last I heard, Skiffy won't force it...I think(Considering BSG)
                  thats fair enough, they're entitled because they are now paying for it........... it is their choice to make, based on financial decisions of paying customers......... if people without a problem with nudity said:-
                  "make us a show!! were not asking for a 'nude a week' or anything, but soldiers who swear like real soldiers in a firefight! heroes who make really really stupid decisions nearly as often as real people do! but just don't coddle us!! and we'll all give you £20 per week plus our normal tv fee's that we usually pay"
                  i don't think sci fi would turn it down if it paid more, just because it offends another group

now say you saw it on a week with no nudity, really liked the awesome writing and characters, would you expect sci fi to change it because you now like it? and retrospectively remove it from previous episodes
                  sigpic
                  -Liberty Prime

Comment

I dont think nudity would lower Stargate Atlantis's populatity. Just look at Battlestar Galactica and while it may not have nudity as such it certainly shows alot of skin and plenty of sex scenes and i dont think any of those thigns have hurt ratings as from memory Battlestar Galactica is/was one of the Scifi channels best rating programmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post
                      I can't remember if there was a plot justification for RC being naked, but I'm sure there was one for Daniel being unclothed.

He was yanked from his mode of existence, and thrust with no memory, no clothes, nothing; at the mercy of the weather and the local fauna and folk: it rather emphasises The Others' attitude to those ascended who would help the still-living, and it sets the scene for Daniel's attatchment to the blue-robed people and his initial rejection of SG-1.

I agree that naked men don't look as nice as men with trousers, and I understand that some people wouldn't want to see nudity, but the same could be said of blood and gore and death and torture and sweraring and all sorts of unsavoury things which are not a frequent feature of the show but are used, at times, to emphasise the severity of a situation, or highlight the bravery of our heroes or the callousness of their adversaries, and to give verissimilitude to the episode in question.

Is your distaste confined to the nudity, or are there other visual things that have made you turn off?
                      There are other things besides nudity that offend me but that could be from some things that happened to me in my life. I look back now and really apprieate how most writer knew how to write meaningful shows without these vices. I don't remember the writers of MacGyver using much of these things in the series. In fact it seemed like the character, MacGyver was sensitive to many things. There was an episode where the bad guy hung Booker (a friend) and only enough of the hanging of the man was shown to give an idea of what has happened. I also liked that even though Mac at first wanted to, he didn't act out his feelings of hate on the bad guy. It shows good writing.

I guess one thing that bothers me is so many writers and producers, etc., have seemed to have lost the ability to put together shows which make people have to use their imagination. Or could it be that alot of people have already lost that part of themselves. I'm not saying this to put anyvody down. It just seems to me when things are left to the imagination, a person can have more fun with a story.
                      "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
                      'Eleanor Roosevelt'
                      Individuality is freedom lived.
                      'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantis1 View Post
                        There are other things besides nudity that offend me but that could be from some things that happened to me in my life. I look back now and really apprieate how most writer knew how to write meaningful shows without these vices. I don't remember the writers of MacGyver using much of these things in the series. In fact it seemed like the character, MacGyver was sensitive to many things. There was an episode where the bad guy hung Booker (a friend) and only enough of the hanging of the man was shown to give an idea of what has happened. I also liked that even though Mac at first wanted to, he didn't act out his feelings of hate on the bad guy. It shows good writing.

I guess one thing that bothers me is so many writers and producers, etc., have seemed to have lost the ability to put together shows which make people have to use their imagination. Or could it be that alot of people have already lost that part of themselves. I'm not saying this to put anyvody down. It just seems to me when things are left to the imagination, a person can have more fun with a story.

Maybe they could use teenagers or kids who do have imaginations to write the stories since the adults obviously lack the skills

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                          Maybe they could use teenagers or kids who do have imaginations to write the stories since the adults obviously lack the skills
                          i'm guessing you're a teenager, i hate to break it to you but you'll lose it too ............. unless your one of the truly gifted, pythons, pratchet, adams etc etc
                          sigpic
                          -Liberty Prime

Comment

Originally posted by rlr149 View Post
                            i'm guessing you're a teenager, i hate to break it to you but you'll lose it too ............. unless your one of the truly gifted, pythons, pratchet, adams etc etc

Ahem.... check my profile.. I'n no way a teen...

But I have a wonderful imagination and have a lot of short stories I have written, mostly for myself with many and varied ideas. I am just saying that maybe sack some of these adults that have lost their creativity and emply some youngsters with fresh minds.

Comment

Originally posted by Daedalus-304 View Post
                              But it has been viewed as immoral for a long time.
                              Why?

Immoral always, regardless of context?

Immoral because it is suggestive of sex?

Immoral because it offends?

Something else?

(NB - there are no end of willies, breasts, bums etc in renaissance and post-renaissance paintings. Go to the Louvre or the gallery off trafalgar square or whatever your local equivalent is, and tell me that people were squeamish about nudity in the olden days!)

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by longhorn21 View Post
                                I don't think that there is any justifiable reason to show nudity
                                It's as justifyable as a wetsuit, a shroud, a ballgown or any other item of attire that is seldom worn but is worn nonetheless

You could write all TV without ever a wetsuit or a ballgown, but why put restrictions on yourself?

Madeleine

Comment

Working...
                                X