This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Seastallion View Post
    I agree that the nudity in 'COTG' was unnecessary in terms of moving the plot forward in the story. Having said that, I was not and am not opposed to it. Admittedly, I am male, and as such a bit of a dog. I can't help it... millions of years of evolution are hard to overcome, and we males do enjoy a beautiful naked female body. That isn't to say that women don't enjoy nude males on occaison (they do). It's just we males in general are more stimulated visually. We're simple. Women get all complex with all these vague complex fantasy ideals. Enough to make your head spin.

In essence though, Stargate is NOT an orgy filled nudity fest. Nor is it supposed to be. The issue of sex isn't ignored, but it isn't the focus show, nor should it. There is a time and place for everything, and outside of possibly some specifically designed erotic fanfiction, sex and nudity (not the same thing, but certainly related) don't really belong in Stargate as a rule. Just some of my thoughts on it.
    Couldn't have said it better :-D.

Originally posted by ykickamoocow View Post
    My first episode of Stargate was COTG's when i bought the dvd. When the nude scene came on screen my bother and younger brothers were all in the room and it didnt bother me one big. The sceen in COTG's showed just how evil the Goa'uld were and in some respects i think that scene was when Apophis was at his most evil in his entire run on the show. The writers may not have innitially intended to have the nude scene in there but i think it works better than if they had used weird camera shots to prevent the audience seeing anything.
    I see, so you DO think the show was better with nudity? Then there's really nothing to argue, if you think that was an effective means of showing him as evil, then thats what you think . However, I do disagree.

But then again, the only way I have ever seen Children of the God's was on Sci Fi, so when I saw boobs I was a bit shocked and that would also drive my thoughts, "This doesn't belong." If the first episode you saw was Children of the Gods, then you would of course think, "Oh, ok, so this Stargate."

:-D Makes sense.

Comment

I think part of the thing which needs to be considered is the degree of violence. What is more violent, gaming or Stargate? Looking at the ads on tv the games that are developed to be played are so much more violent then Stargate that it is not funny.

As for nudity, I was somewhat offended by Daniels' return. I know it was supposed to be a joke but it didn't make me laugh.
      "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
      'Eleanor Roosevelt'
      Individuality is freedom lived.
      'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantis1 View Post
        I think part of the thing which needs to be considered is the degree of violence. What is more violent, gaming or Stargate? Looking at the ads on tv the games that are developed to be played are so much more violent then Stargate that it is not funny.
        No matter where the violence takes place, it should never be considered as more normal than... or better than...

As for nudity, I was somewhat offended by Daniels' return.
        In what way?
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
          No matter where the violence takes place, it should never be considered as more normal than... or better than...

In what way?
          Why didn't they just return Daniel with clothes on and a lost memory. I watch these shows for the plot and characters. I'm not looking for them to add nudity because that is not going to be more drawn to a show. I'd rather see my male characters on the show in clothing. I find them more appealing that way. I don't want a flesh show. I'm not into that sort of thing.
          "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
          'Eleanor Roosevelt'
          'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Originally posted by Blistna View Post
            Let me re-quote what you quoted.

So in your opinion, was Children of the Gods, the full frontial nudity, make the show better? Did you watch it on Showtime, looked at her body and said, "Wow, this makes the show so muc more enjoyable!" Or, rather, did you say "Meh" or even, "OK, that was random."

Honestly, i was like..."Um, Stargate has nudity?" And felt weird...because i was in my fiance's apartment, she was gone to work and her roommate saw me watching some hot chick naked on TV.

So let me be clear. The violence is just. It's not like we have violence to sell the show, but was the nudity just? I think Wright thinks it wasn't.
            And hat's the problem.
            No, the nudity scene there isn't needed and, quite frankly, it's pretty obviuos it's there as the male-attraction sort. But I don't think anyone disagrees... well, maybe Jenks
            I do have a problem with the automatic assumption the violence is "just". And I think Stargate's season 1-5 - especially season 1 - really show that. The nudity scene is out of order also because season 1 has so many episodes like the Broca Divide, Solitudes, Enigma, The Torment of Tantalos etc etc, that don't have a bad guy, or even if they do have a bad guy, like Singularity, don't have violence in them.

So, looking at the product Stargate's PTB have created in 1997, why does Mr Wright insist on the nudity alone as problematic, rather than the nudity and excessive Jaffa killings as in some of the episodes?
            Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
            Yes, I am!
            sigpic
            Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
            Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
            Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Why didn't they just return Daniel with clothes on and a lost memory.
              I think the plot there was that he had left his clothes when he turned into energy, and when they send him back down it would be normal he'd be stark naked since he returned to be flesh and blood.

Comment

I think the plot there was that he had left his clothes when he turned into energy, and when they send him back down it would be normal he'd be stark naked since he returned to be flesh and blood.
                I could be wrong. I thought it was supposed to have been a joke on Omas' part.

'Eleanor Roosevelt'
                'Janis Joplin'

Comment

If the creators of the franchise want to take out a scene that they never wanted in the first place...what's the big deal!

The nudity didn't add to the scene anyway. Some people have said that it shows how evil Apophis is. I'm sorry but be serious. Apophis seems just as evil in the cut version as in the uncut version...showing her breasts didn't make Apophis seem more evil. *rolls eyes*
                  sigpic
                  FOX Network

Comment

I thought it was supposed to have been a joke on Omas' part.
                    Maybe Oma is a fan of naked Daniel... though in that case she has to check her sense of humor, cause it ain't particularly funny.

Comment

Well, Orlin seemed to be able to descend with clothes, but Daniel's second descent was also sans clothing. I liked the symbolism of rebirth, and didn't particularly appreciate Oma's humorous approach in Threads.

~Friendshipping (among others) the two most awesome women of Stargate.
                      ~My Stargate fanfic can be found on my Livejournal

Comment

It seems to me like everyone is treating nudity and violence like one thing vs. another. But it seems the two have a sliding scale, at one end is acceptable and the other is not.

Starting you have no violence, and people wear fully modest clothing.

Then you have cartoon / stylized violence, such as Spiderman fighting bad guys. At the same end you have people in slightly less than fully modest clothes think tank top vs. long sleeve shirt.

Then you would have Stargate type violence: people shoot guns, a few sparks go off and the bad guy is killed. This usually happens to save people or something. At the same level you have revealing clothes such as dresses or conservative bathing suits.

Then you have violence like above but more intense, such as a PG-13 (higher end) movie. At the same level you have low-cut clothing, revealing bathing suits, and stylized nudity (where you don't see anything).

At a higher level, you have intense violence and / or violence not being used to help people. At that same level you have full frontal nudity where you see everything.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
                          Would it be that outrageous to have a women on the show who was a little thicker around the middle or one who was more average in looks? Apparently yes.
                          To be fair, Elizabeth -- while not "thicker around the middle" -- isn't some young, gorgeous model. She was 40ish and average in looks, and had a very large role on the show.
                          Theoretically spoilerish:
                          Spoiler:
                          Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

Originally posted by MerryK View Post
                            Well, Orlin seemed to be able to descend with clothes, ...
                            But we didn't actually see him descend, so he could have been naked and stole the clothes somewhere to cover himself up.

Comment

But we didn't actually see him descend, so he could have been naked and stole the clothes somewhere to cover himself up.
                              I was going to make that point, but in The Fourth Horseman, you see him spying on Sam only seconds before he appears to her as the boy.

~Friendshipping (among others) the two most awesome women of Stargate.
                              ~My Stargate fanfic can be found on my Livejournal

Comment

Originally posted by MerryK View Post
                                I was going to make that point, but in The Fourth Horseman, you see him spying on Sam only seconds before he appears to her as the boy.
                                We do? *scratches head* Can't remember that episode, not in detail anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X