This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
    I always wondered: if the show appeals to men SO MUCH, then where did the female audience even come from? Why did they start watching in the first place? There must have been something to draw them in, right?

And why are they still watching?

And please. Us guys may get our pretty ladies once in a while, but the show's main cast is dominated by men, and good-looking ones too, if the many, MANY HUGE Thunk threads are any indication. Please stop playing the victim.
    Do I have to trade in my feminist credentials if I agree with this?
    Theoretically spoilerish:
    Spoiler:
    Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

Originally posted by KindlyKeller View Post
      Do I have to trade in my feminist credentials if I agree with this?
      I'm afraid you do...

As a member of the female species, I'm the odd one out, I guess... cause I ain't watching for the men, and I ain't watching for the boobs, butts and bombs either.
      I want to see good stories, strong and believable characters... And the female members have to be believable in their roles. For me TH, RL & CR (my three favorite ladies) were/are exactly that and the cuteness they own is a bonus.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
        I'd say this just demonstrates more of a double standard on the part of the audience if anything, loads of shows feature half naked men but no one thinks twice about it, where as the sight of a naked women seems to tear at the moral fabric of society in the eyes of some, either that or it's just for cheap kicks.
        So there is no difference between men walking around half naked when swimming and women? Then either all the guys need to start wearing swim tops or women should just rip off theirs!....WAIT!!! I was kidding! And yes, I know there are countries where women DO go sans tops!

As for why women watch? I have no idea about others, but I have always liked sci-fi because I like action and good, unpredictable stories. And naturally, I do love looking at the pretty guys. I know you won't believe me, but I love looking at their FACES, I do not need to see them naked. I don't think I would want to, to tell the truth. But that's just me!

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
          As a member of the female species, I'm the odd one out, I guess... cause I ain't watching for the men, and I ain't watching for the boobs, butts and bombs either.
          And as a male, I don't watch for the hot chicks either, even if they may be bonuses at times. I, too, watch for good stories and good characters that I can relate to. I'm pretty sure everyone is like that, more or less.

It's just that, on the superficial level of "revealing hotness", it's not THAT big of a difference between the sexes.

And that's what I think is a problem here. People make these revealing clothes into such big deals, when they don't have to. So what if the female guest star has major cleavage? Are you (general you) so fixated on that V-shaped neckline that you can't notice the writing that goes into her character (whether that writing is good or bad is irrelevant here)? I'd rather think that's your lack of attention span than the cast and crew's fault.

As mods here like to say: why let it bother you? Who cares if these people want to dress like this/want their characters to dress like this? It's their perogative, and unlike writing and character develoopment, it isn't a big deal at all.

All of these things; the cleavage on women, the short sleaves on men, the tight clothing on both; they're all bare aesthetics and are tiny details with regards to character and plot development. For them to cause such a ruckus here is really...sad.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
            It's not hard to believe, it's just a highly disturbing thought. To think that your own embarrassment is enough for you to consider violence less offensive than nudity seems just plain wrong to me.
            If it would let me, I would green you for this.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I always wondered: if the show appeals to men SO MUCH, then where did the female audience even come from? Why did they start watching in the first place? There must have been something to draw them in, right?

And why are they still watching?

And please. Us guys may get our pretty ladies once in a while, but the show's main cast is dominated by men, and good-looking ones too, if the many, MANY HUGE Thunk threads are any indication. Please stop playing the victim.
              The MARKETING in all science fiction is geared towards men and that is a fact I read in a writer's guide.

No one is stating they are a victim...just the observation of how hollywood in general prefers to feature young, pencil thin girls with no wrinkles. Yet men, don't have to worry about looks to get a job in hollywood.

Yes, there are some "hot guys" on the show too...but also...some not so hot guys. Let's face it...no one watches DH for his body. Yet, he is the most popular character.

There have been shows in the past where a older female lead was featured as the lead...but I can't think of any in sci-fi. (golden girls, murder she wrote...those types of shows)

As too why there are so many thunk threads on the internet?

The internet is a tool that not everyone is comfortable with. First, if a guy wants to look at naked women he will go to naked women sites or order playboy mag. Most men have a dedicated thinking pattern. A then B then C then D. Right down the line. Most men target or hunt, they look for certain things and go to certain areas to get it. (my hubby loves sci-fi but hates computers.)

Women naturally like to communicate more than men. These statements were from the John Tesh Radio Show. Can't recall what he source he got them from. Women have more of a zig zag thinking pattern. A then C then B then G then back to D...ect. Knowing that women are more prone than men to communicate about their favorite show, recipe, store, ect...it would make sense to me that women would be more apt to come to forums and chat with others who like the same character.

As Jerry Steinfeld once said: "Men hunt and women gather."
              Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                The MARKETING in all science fiction is geared towards men and that is a fact I read in a writer's guide.
                Oh. In that case, I agree.

There have been shows in the past where a older female lead was featured as the lead...but I can't think of any in sci-fi. (golden girls, murder she wrote...those types of shows)
                Well, there is Kate Mulgrew of Star Trek Voyager. I wouldn't say she's "hot"; at least, not in the traditional sense. Unless you mean waaay in the past, like in the 80s or something.

Yes, the 80s is now the waaay past.

If not, we also have Mary Mcdonnell portraying Laura Roslin on BSG.

Comment

Don't forget Torri.

Spectacular writing, great acting and stellar special effects make great sci-fi. Hot actors stripping down to next to or nothing at least once an episode is too HBO for my liking. *Remembers SG-1 used to be on HBO.*

Enterprise tried to go the overtly 'more skin is good!' angle, and failed. TNT wanted JMS to take Crusade in the same direction, and failed. I don't think the nudity itself is a problem as long as it fits into a particular show, its genre, target audience, and, of course, its story. Seeing a full frontal of either sex in the middle of a tense political discussion affecting dozens of planets would be quite jarring.
                  Last edited by nx01a; 07 April 2008, 05:49 PM.
                  sigpic
                  More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

On the contrary. I still thinks she's hot in the traditional sense, so she doesn't count.

Comment

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest Torri wasn't hot. Because she is. Well, I thought Janeway was hot... Older female lead, and all.

I swear, I feel like I'm proving some feminist point here.
                      sigpic
                      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

And as a male, I don't watch for the hot chicks either, even if they may be bonuses at times. I, too, watch for good stories and good characters that I can relate to. I'm pretty sure everyone is like that, more or less.

It's just that, on the superficial level of "revealing hotness", it's not THAT big of a difference between the sexes.

And that's what I think is a problem here. People make these revealing clothes into such big deals, when they don't have to. So what if the female guest star has major cleavage? Are you (general you) so fixated on that V-shaped neckline that you can't notice the writing that goes into her character (whether that writing is good or bad is irrelevant here)? I'd rather think that's your lack of attention span than the cast and crew's fault.

As mods here like to say: why let it bother you? Who cares if these people want to dress like this/want their characters to dress like this? It's their perogative, and unlike writing and character develoopment, it isn't a big deal at all.

All of these things; the cleavage on women, the short sleaves on men, the tight clothing on both; they're all bare aesthetics and are tiny details with regards to character and plot development. For them to cause such a ruckus here is really...sad.
                        That was pretty much what I was getting at. What's the difference between the women showing a bit of cleavage and the guys being briefly shirtless or showing off the arms in tight shirts?

I guess I just never feel like any of it gets in the way of the story. I watch for the characters like most people on here, and while I'm not particularly fixated on the guys' arms or bodies or what have you, I'm not distracted by it either.

Maybe I'm not making sense. My point is: I think it all evens out as far as objectifying. It exists for both sexes and -- usually -- isn't so outlandish that I take special notice of it. The exception would be that one Tok'ra on SG-1 who was into Jack in Season 4. Her outfit was a bit much.
                        Spoiler:
                        Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                          The costumes are less than desirable and fall into the shapely outline class with low bust line cuts.
                          Well, it's not as if women don't naturally wear similar clothes in real life. And at least Sam and Janet were BDUs/medical scrubs except for a few scenes, and except for when Sam was dressing up for Pete, their civilian clothes were quite normal. Vala frequently dressed provocatively, but it was clear that that was her intention, and later on she dressed in a girly but not slutty fashion.

As for the casting issues...I found most guest stars of either sex attractive, and there were older women as well as older men not so attractive. I do find the unending line of young pretty women frustrating, but that's an inherent part of our culture and I don't expect Stargate to change the world.

~Friendshipping (among others) the two most awesome women of Stargate.
                          ~My Stargate fanfic can be found on my Livejournal

Comment

That's something I definitely agree with, MerryK. Not every female guest character needs to be 25-35 and extremely attractive.
                            Spoiler:
                            Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

sounds to me like you don't get enough and you just need to see some boobs.
                              Religion and science are the same both explain Gods work.

Comment

i am a young male who happens to be 22 and never had a girlfriend. i admit, i pay a lot of attention to the shaplly bodies of women my age. but when it comes to tv i don't really pay attention.

teyla is known for some revealing outfits, but i never pay attention to them. i spend more time watching her interact with the various characters and her interesting storlines, i don't even remember what she wore pre-preggers, i just remember her fight the wraaith, helping her people and giving advice.

number 6 of BSG is known for revealing skin, well, most females are, but i don't really care, number 6 is intriging because she is manipulative and talks in riddles. i spend more time trying to understand what she is saying then watching her butt.

Comment

Working...
                                X