Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How come Stargate isn't more main stream?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not only is there are hesitance towards sci-fi in the mainstream, I have a friend who's so vehemently against sci-fi to the point of creepiness, and screams at me like a mad-woman whenever I bring up Stargate, Star Trek, Star Wars, and even Smallville, Doctor Who, AVP and The X-Files. Then she'll disappear for days without saying a word to me.

For years, I have not been able to get to the bottom of what her problem is, so I just quote lines from the Trek movies just to piss her off.
    This time... it's war!

Comment

There are alot of people that are too afraid to say it, I am deffinetly not one of them. A big reason why people do not like Stargate and some other scifi shows is because of religion. Seeing as how alot of Stargate s based around different religions and major belifes people see it as if they watch it they are not true to their own. On another note has anyone ever noticed that Starate has tougched on pridy much all religions but Christianity?
      Science fiction is an existential metaphor that allows us to tell stories about the human condition. Isaac Asimov once said, "Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Azreth View Post
        There are alot of people that are too afraid to say it, I am deffinetly not one of them. A big reason why people do not like Stargate and some other scifi shows is because of religion. Seeing as how alot of Stargate s based around different religions and major belifes people see it as if they watch it they are not true to their own. On another note has anyone ever noticed that Starate has tougched on pridy much all religions but Christianity?
        "Demons" and the entire Ori story arc would beg to differ.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

When have they ever mentioned Judaism, Islam or Sikhism? And like DigiFluid they have mentioned Christianity.
          Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            "Demons" and the entire Ori story arc would beg to differ.
            I remember reading someone talking about the ascension angle, who was going on about how it was a slap in the face to all Christians and TPTB should apologize.

But you're right. The Ori arc was an interesting mixture of Christian fanaticism and, I guess, Extremist Islam. Not that I think there was any attempt at social commentary. I think they just thought those elements played well.

People, rightfully, take their religious beliefs very seriously. I can see how science fiction could make some folks uncomfortable sometimes in that regard.
            Theoretically spoilerish:
            Spoiler:
            Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

The only things that make it on TV guides here in the UK is Soaps
              Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Originally posted by Cmdr_Thor View Post
                My questions is what about Star Wars? What about the many other sci-fi movies that have been done and have enjoyed such great success. I've had conversations with some friends that tease my love of stargate and star trek, saying that they just don't like or enjoy watching shows with aliens that look weird in them. That was one of their reason for not liking stargate. That completely irritated me because Stargate is the least "alien-ed" show out there. Considering the galaxy is populated with humans, the main badguys were basically human with a snake in their head, and the Jaffa were genetically altered humans. Yet, these same people love Star Wars which is rich in wacky looking aliens. I mean on Tatooine alone, there are hundreds of types of alien species. Why can people take and accept the space ships, aliens, and sci-fi weaponry of Star Wars and other successful sci-fi movies, but not give Stargate a chance?
                $$$

Comment

Originally posted by KindlyKeller View Post
                  Not that I think there was any attempt at social commentary. I think they just thought those elements played well.
                  On the contrary, I believe the writers knew full well what they were doing, they just haven't really come out and admitted it yet. It's not like it just happened by accident.
                  This time... it's war!

Comment

Originally posted by Drax View Post
                    On the contrary, I believe the writers knew full well what they were doing, they just haven't really come out and admitted it yet. It's not like it just happened by accident.
                    I never said it "happened by accident." It was just a confluence of interesting and topical elements. That doesn't mean they were pushing a social agenda.
                    Theoretically spoilerish:
                    Spoiler:
                    Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

There are alot of people that are too afraid to say it, I am deffinetly not one of them. A big reason why people do not like Stargate and some other scifi shows is because of religion. Seeing as how alot of Stargate s based around different religions and major belifes people see it as if they watch it they are not true to their own.
                      I highly doubt that that is a big influence on popularity. My parents are very conservative Christians, and they have loved Stargate (and other sci-fi) for years.

~Friendshipping (among others) the two most awesome women of Stargate.
                      ~My Stargate fanfic can be found on my Livejournal

Comment

I've always believed Stargate to be somewhat anti-religious. Whereas all other sci fi I have seen (Admittedly, not enough) seem to except religion as an inevitability, whereas stargate has such things as religion being used to oppress people, the great races such as the ancients having evolved beyond religion. Not that I disagree. But that's just how I see it; right along the lines of people seeing evidence of what they believe and ignoring disconfirming evidence. That's my rant for the day done.
                        Wraith ships are giant lobsters.

Comment

Originally posted by Xiphias View Post
                          I've always believed Stargate to be somewhat anti-religious. Whereas all other sci fi I have seen (Admittedly, not enough) seem to except religion as an inevitability, whereas stargate has such things as religion being used to oppress people, the great races such as the ancients having evolved beyond religion. Not that I disagree. But that's just how I see it; right along the lines of people seeing evidence of what they believe and ignoring disconfirming evidence. That's my rant for the day done.
                          You see what you want to see.

I see a show about a universe in witch Religion has been faked and hijacked soo much that its true form in all systems has become lost.

Ancients-A great race that mastered everything except Religion

Asgard-Another great race that understands the good in Religion

Nox-A peaceful spiritual people.

Toland- A lost and traumatized people with no faith.

Guaold-A self Righteous people, for a lack of a better phrase, Who believe in Hijacking an Human Religion for their own needs

Ori-The sect of the Ancients who did not understand Religion.

and Earth- All of the above. Still trying to find the right way to do things.

I have not been offended by Stargate as a Christian, only by those who try to twist Stargate into an Anti Christian show.

Not you Xiphias btw.
                          By Nolamom
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Drax View Post
                            I guess because it's science fiction (which, I'm sorry to say, doesn't appeal to everyone's tastes) and it's on cable.
                            1. Isn't star trek also Scifi? Yet that is pretty well known and popular. I think that in a few more years, Stargate will be as popular or at least close as star trek.

2. What is all this "it's on cable" bashing? I HATE regular TV and watch strictly cable with few exceptions like new Simpsons episodes which are not on cable.

I do not believe more people like regular network TV than cable. And 86% of Americans have cable so it's not like only a few people have cable.

Can someone explain to me why it seems so many people watch regular TV over cable?

Vala,

Comment

Originally posted by Xinc View Post
                              Besides... close to real life drama is a lot easier for the general populous to relate/and associate to, than something happening 500 million light years away... let alone across the globe.
                              I honestly can't see 'Lost' as being close to real life drama. I don't live on a bizarre island where all kinds of weird things happen and neither has anyone I've met.

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
                              When have they ever mentioned Judaism, Islam or Sikhism?
                              Judaism and Islam were referred to in 'Sanctuary' along with other religions -

CHAYA: What my people value most is spiritual knowledge. What can your culture provide in that regard?

WEIR: *looks at Teyla then Sheppard* Earth’s people don’t share a single Spiritual belief we…embrace <Sheppard looks uncomfortable> a number of different religions and philosophies: Christianity, Buddhism, Judaism, Islam…

SHEPPARD: Hinduism… Kwanzaa. *Weir frowns at him, he frowns*

CHAYA: Interesting. Tell me about them.

WEIR: All of them?

CHAYA: Yes they sound fascinating.

WEIR: *Sheppard nods* Well…I am hardly competent to discuss all of Earth’s religions…but I can offer you some resources. With very little training you could have complete access to our historical database.
                              CHAYA: That would be wonderful.

Later on in the story -

CHAYA: ..I am fascinated by your many religions. So many beliefs, so many philosophies.

SHEPPARD: Yeah we got a few of those.

CHAYA: So many contradicting faiths.

Chaya finally sums up her opinion of Earth religions with -

CHAYA: I admit to being impressed by most of what I’ve read of Earth religions: the Torah, the Koran, the Talmud, the Bible. Most of them reveal a diverse and deep desire to grasp the divine.

This is a very neutral kind of statement. It doesn't say that one or even any of them are true, just that they express a human longing for something greater.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                                I honestly can't see 'Lost' as being close to real life drama. I don't live on a bizarre island where all kinds of weird things happen and neither has anyone I've met.
                                This was taken out of context...
                                For clarity though, my statement was generalized towards "reality tv"; in addition to this, I was referring to global matters, as opposed to Lost (more towards Big Brother, or Survivor type programming)
                                Which I'm now assuming takes place on a bizarre island, where all sorts of strange happenings take place.
                                You have my apologies for not stating that clearly the first time.

See my bolded text below...
                                Which includes my statement which you quoted, along with what I was trying to make as my point.

Originally posted by Xinc View Post
                                Besides... close to real life drama is a lot easier for the general populous to relate/and associate to, than something happening 500 million light years away... let alone across the globe.

To each, his/or her own.
                                (Heck I read a lot more books, than I do spend time paying any attention to reality/action/adventure shows.
                                )
                                For the record I know nothing about Lost, I watch very little television, and am reluctant to do so (especially the past 12 years), with exception of the daily news (economics & politics related).
                                Hence my late on the bandwagon newbie status with Stargate

Comment

Working...
                                X