Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why don't they put a Lantian stargate in SGC?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why don't they put a Lantian stargate in SGC?

the Lantian stargates in the Pegasus Galaxy are obviously far superior to the much older Milky Way stargates.
    They are digital, and can have countless different symbols and not just 39.
    They also dial a lot faster.
    They probably have many more advantages since they are millions of years more advanced than the original Milky Way stargates.
    So why not take one of those stargates on one of the Earth ships and take it to Earth and put it in the SGC (keep the old gate boxed up as an extra, just in case).
    It would probably need to be reprogrammed to be compatible with Milky Way gates but I'm sure it can be done.
    This would greatly increase the efficiency and safety of Stargate Command.

I also think each Earth ship needs to have a stargate on board.
    This way if the ship gets stuck somewhere without hyperspace engines, a stargate would be a pretty good thing to have.
    It can also be used as a super-weapon. if you dial into a stargate near a black hole, you can use it to blow up stars and solar systems!

Its not like they don't have enough stargates. SG1 stole like a hundred stargates from Baal's ship (those maybe the ones they used for the intergalactic bridge though)

Comment

you can't manually dial the pegasus gates. a disadvantage to be sure......and there are still only 39 symbols on them.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
        you can't manually dial the pegasus gates. a disadvantage to be sure......and there are still only 39 symbols on them.
        that's why I said they should keep the normal gate as backup.

keep the old gate in a seperate room closed with an Iris and without power. we know that incoming wormholes will arrive to the gate that has the more power, so they would normally come into the Lantian gate.
        They should also have more than one base with a stargate. maybe even several bases with several stargates. This way if something happens to the SGC, Earth won't be immediately cut off from the rest of the galaxy.
        they could even set up stargates on different continents and this way have a quick way to move around the Earth (by gating to other planets and then gating back to Earth, controlling which gate you'll arrive to by how much power it is getting) this way you'll have a quick way to move around the planet

Comment

Originally posted by AscendedThor View Post
          the Lantian stargates in the Pegasus Galaxy are obviously far superior to the much older Milky Way stargates.
          They probably have many more advantages since they are millions of years more advanced than the original Milky Way stargates.
          So why not take one of those stargates on one of the Earth ships and take it to Earth and put it in the SGC (keep the old gate boxed up as an extra, just in case).
          It would probably need to be reprogrammed to be compatible with Milky Way gates but I'm sure it can be done.
          I do not think this is possible, seeing as:

1. They we're hindered in gathering the Gate-bridge gates for the bridge, because people needed them.

2. I also do not think a stargate can be reprogrammed to work seamlessly in a new galaxy, i do not think they have an infinite number of symbols, only the ones programmed in.

Also, it is not that they dial alot faster, they dial the same as any other gate, that is hooked up to a DHD, since the earth gate is not hooked up to a DHD it takes much longer to dial.

The chevrons operate in at least 2 ways. When hooked up to a DHD, the chevrons receive an electronic pulse, straight from the DHD, that tells it which chevron to use. When not hooked up to a DHD, the chevron has a scanning device built into the, for lack of a better term, Sliding bar. it scans the symbol that was placed under it, and programs that one in. If you notice, on offworld gates, the gate dials much faster, and does not spin, because the symbol is programmed by electrical pulse. However the gate in the SGC spins, because it does not recieve the pulse telling it which csymbol to dial.

I also think each Earth ship needs to have a stargate on board.
          This way if the ship gets stuck somewhere without hyperspace engines, a stargate would be a pretty good thing to have.
          It can also be used as a super-weapon. if you dial into a stargate near a black hole, you can use it to blow up stars and solar systems!
          This would not work, You need to be near a planet with a stargate, in order to get a point of origin. Without one, The seventh chevron will not "Lock"

Its not like they don't have enough stargates. SG1 stole like a hundred stargates from Baal's ship (those maybe the ones they used for the intergalactic bridge though)
          I believe that we only stole about a dozen off ba'al's ship, and that was after he had stolen them from planets, so we probably just put them back on the planets they had been stolen from...

The Pegasus gates actually only have 36 symbols on them.

that's why I said they should keep the normal gate as backup.

keep the old gate in a seperate room closed with an Iris and without power. we know that incoming wormholes will arrive to the gate that has the more power, so they would normally come into the Lantian gate.
          They should also have more than one base with a stargate. maybe even several bases with several stargates. This way if something happens to the SGC, Earth won't be immediately cut off from the rest of the galaxy.
          they could even set up stargates on different continents and this way have a quick way to move around the Earth (by gating to other planets and then gating back to Earth, controlling which gate you'll arrive to by how much power it is getting) this way you'll have a quick way to move around the planet
          The power being given to the gate is not what dictates Priority, it is simply the fact of whether or not there is a DHD is hooked up to it. Seeing as we currently do not have access to lots and lots of gates, Accompanied with their DHD's, we cannot do this, Not to mention the fact that with the Odyssey, Daedalus and the Apollo all in our possession, and all with Asgard beaming technology, this mode of transportation is faster than gating offworld, then back, and is much safer.

Comment

Yes I forgot that the ships have transporters and they can just beam people everywhere.
            I don't think this was a good direction for this series since its becoming more and more like star trek and less like a stargate-based show like it was in the begining. I think the show suffers as a result since it lost its uniqness and distinction from other sci-fi shows.

By the way how do you dial the gate manually? when we saw Teal'c doing it we just saw him spinning the ring inside the gate, but how did he lock the symbols?

Oh and I think the SGC should have a few Puddle Jumpers. It could be a very useful thing to have for SG missions. Atlantis has dozens of them and they don't even use them on every mission. they don't need that many. A few should be sent over to Earth.

Comment

Yes I forgot that the ships have transporters and they can just beam people everywhere.
              I don't think this was a good direction for this series since its becoming more and more like star trek and less like a stargate-based show like it was in the begining. I think the show suffers as a result since it lost its uniqness and distinction from other sci-fi shows.

By the way how do you dial the gate manually? when we saw Teal'c doing it we just saw him spinning the ring inside the gate, but how did he lock the symbols?

Oh and I think the SGC should have a few Puddle Jumpers. It could be a very useful thing to have for SG missions. Atlantis has dozens of them and they don't even use them on every mission. they don't need that many. A few should be sent over to Earth.
              From all appearences it seems that they automatically lock when the ring stops. But in Torment of Tantalus during the film Daniel was watching that they throw a switch to lock the symbol in place.

Comment

From all appearences it seems that they automatically lock when the ring stops. But in Torment of Tantalus during the film Daniel was watching that they throw a switch to lock the symbol in place.
                but then later in that same episode they manage to dial a gate manually without "magic chevron locking switches"
                Spoiler:
                Disclaimer:
                I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                Quotes!
                - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                  but then later in that same episode they manage to dial a gate manually without "magic chevron locking switches"
                  which probably just indicates that they did not know what the hell they were doing in 1945.

Comment

I do not see how this is relevant any more...however, you need the ATA gene to fly the jumper, and most of the people with the gene, are on atlantis, for obvious reasons...

Comment

Well for starters, the two gate systems are incompatible. It'd be like trying to install the Mac version of some application onto a Windows-based PC. Or to break it down to a more basic level, trying to plug a square peg into a round hole.

They don't work together. At all. If they did there would've been no need for a Midway station. The only known exception to this rule is Earth's address with the Atlantis gate, and that's because of a specifically designed control crystal to facilitate that end.
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Tupopoflungo View Post
                        I do not see how this is relevant any more...however, you need the ATA gene to fly the jumper, and most of the people with the gene, are on atlantis, for obvious reasons...
                        This was only true in the begining. Later they invented Gene therapy that makes anyone able to use ancient tech

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                          Well for starters, the two gate systems are incompatible. It'd be like trying to install the Mac version of some application onto a Windows-based PC. Or to break it down to a more basic level, trying to plug a square peg into a round hole.

They don't work together. At all. If they did there would've been no need for a Midway station. The only known exception to this rule is Earth's address with the Atlantis gate, and that's because of a specifically designed control crystal to facilitate that end.
                          that explains why the Wraith couldn't dial to the Milky Way gate system even when they had ZPM's.

It would be super cool if in the end of the series, when Atlantis has all 3 ZPMs they fly away from the Pegasus galaxy and return to Earth, landing in its original place in Antarctica.

Comment

This was only true in the begining. Later they invented Gene therapy that makes anyone able to use ancient tech
                            only 49% remember
                            Spoiler:
                            Disclaimer:
                            I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                            Quotes!
                            - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                            - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                            - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post

Nice. I now have the stargate version of those mac adverts going through my head now.....

"Hi I'm a digital gate...."

"And I'm an analog gate......"

Comment

Working...
                              X