X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IrishPisano View Post
    negative.

the ancients seeded life... i do not believe they cultivated it though...

i believe that, similar to the Wraith, the Goa'uld did not allow any societies to progress to a certain level, lest they would be able to revolt and overthrow the goa'uld...
    ni a agree, but it was merlin who cultivated all the medieval societies in s9 and 10 of SG-1

if all ancients liked medieval society, why isn't everyone in pegasus medieval? or even from medieval roots.

most seem to be farm based, and there are a handfull of medieval style ones, but it's nowhere near the majority
    Spoiler:
    Disclaimer:
    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
    Quotes!
    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
      ni a agree, but it was merlin who cultivated all the medieval societies in s9 and 10 of SG-1

if all ancients liked medieval society, why isn't everyone in pegasus medieval? or even from medieval roots.

most seem to be farm based, and there are a handfull of medieval style ones, but it's nowhere near the majority
      the "medeival" style of the civilizations we have met is a device used by the writers to show us, in a way that we can understand, how advanced the civilizations are, and also a way to connect them to earth.

"they look medeival"
      "must mean that SG-1 is 400 years more advanced than they are"
      "indeed"
      Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
      Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
      Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
      Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

medieval societies are interesting however, its been a bit over-done I'll agree

in SGU I would like to see societies consisting of both humans and non-humans at varying stages of development.

I would like to see the following:

1. Stone age people or aliens (with some variation considering they're not developing on earth)

2. Bronze age people or aliens

3. Colonial period people or aliens

4. Same tech level as earth (minus the stargate program)

5. same tech level as earth (with the stargate program)

6. a multi-racial alliance of several worlds in close proximity to one another, perhaps just within one large star system in the early stages of space exploration / cross colonization with or without knowledge of the stargates

7. cultures that have developed SOOO far beyond our own that they have regressed to an almost medieval state for fear of their own demise through their technology (clues to something in their ancient past perhaps)

8. post-apocolyptic worlds with the inhabitants barely hanging on to life (likely not knowing about the stargate, or perhaps they fear it for it was the catalyst for their great cataclysm..etc.)

9. cultures older than the ancients with no interest in our petty ways, seeing us as little more than children (Vorlons from B5 as a kind of example)

10. ancient cultures barely surviving in their repsective star systems because they have out-lived their sun, or perhaps all neigboring suns (could be in an older part of the galaxy, or just an old galaxy period where most everything has turned to dust)

11. more alien civilizations, less human ones (just as a general rule of thumb)

12. dystopian society more advanced than our own technologically atleast openly to the public but perhaps without their own major stargate program...or with one

13. a sentient and benevolent machine race perhaps living in the cold of space and not on a planet period, they could however be near a stargate floating around a gas giant, a moon, or something else (no not replicators for god's sake)

14. a race in the early stages of space-colonization encountering aliens (us) for the first time

15. aquatic civilization at any stage of development (no not people made out of water, but people that evolved from something more like the dolphin than the ape) perhaps their require great amounts of pressure to survive as well as the aquatic atmosphere so they have to wear big-ol' suits or we can't communicate with them outside of them being inside space-ships..etc.. they could have land vehicles for exploration that to them would be much as a submarine is to us.

16. cultures that are more developed than us technologically except for our having asgard / ancient tech.

17. more cultures that are on equal tech level with the asgard / ancients..etc..

18. Dieing worlds (for whatever reason, perhaps the population was locked in a state of war for so long that they almost cease to exist now, and the war has been over for a very long time simply because nobody remembers what it was about / almost everybody is dead anyway..and the planet itself is dieing because of the after effects of the war.... or civilization barely surviving on a planet after a natural disaster of some sort, perhaps their planet is becoming a desert, no food / water or very little..etc..)

19. culture perhaps an alliance of aliens that use the stargate in the same way we do, for exploration / alliances / acquiring new tech.

20. an interstellar empire of some kind that is slightly oppressive but highly efficient, with a tech level rivaling our own, or slightly below our own (with the use of ancient / asgard tech)

21. an interstellar empire that has fallen either to neglect, xenophobia, or the intervention of another interstellar empire (maybe the one above) and all the worlds under it are now "free" with no real system of government, and looking to anyone willing to help them out for guidance, including ourselves and perhaps some others with less noble intentions)

that sure was alot of stuff, anyway I'd like to see some of that instead of just the same human cultures over n' over. not that I haven't seen some stuff similar to that in Stargate in the past, but you get the idea.

Comment

ok i didn't read through all of that, but i gather you want to see every type of civilization possible

except medeival

Comment

one interesting thing that i think they should do in SGU over the course of the entire series is...

if the series deals with Earth branching out into the galaxy/cluster/quadrant/sector/space/whatever... as a dominant force and not just peaceful explorers who kill demigods... we should end up gravitating towards becoming gods ourselves to several planets or systems like the Asgard.... but slightly less benevolent...

and maybe have that realized halfway through the series, thus causing a riff to develop between those on earth who are in favor of "protecting planets" and those who are opposed...

Comment

i have two to add;

-dont forget all the cool things that happened in the first seasons and the other series
              -get a good scaling for the spaceships and leave em that way

Comment

Another thing not to do? Continue using the Big Red Reset Button. Or have I said that already? It bears repeating, anyway. Nothing erodes at a show like a lack of continuity.

I'll also second/third the call about medieval villages. We have the whole of human history in which to play and yet we consistently wind up in medieval villages? Even if various Evil Forces prevent worlds from maturing past a certain tech level there's still a whole lotta cultures left unexplored. Maybe it's time to build a new set.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishPisano View Post

if the series deals with Earth branching out into the galaxy/cluster/quadrant/sector/space/whatever... as a dominant force and not just peaceful explorers who kill demigods... we should end up gravitating towards becoming gods ourselves to several planets or systems like the Asgard.... but slightly less benevolent...

This could be really interesting if we'll find lesser advanced races which will worship us as the gods. I would like to see how our "heroes" will deal with it.
                  Stolen Kosovo
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cynycal View Post
                    medieval societies are interesting however, its been a bit over-done I'll agree

in SGU I would like to see societies consisting of both humans and non-humans at varying stages of development.

I would like to see the following:

1. Stone age people or aliens (with some variation considering they're not developing on earth)

2. Bronze age people or aliens

3. Colonial period people or aliens

4. Same tech level as earth (minus the stargate program)

5. same tech level as earth (with the stargate program)

6. a multi-racial alliance of several worlds in close proximity to one another, perhaps just within one large star system in the early stages of space exploration / cross colonization with or without knowledge of the stargates

7. cultures that have developed SOOO far beyond our own that they have regressed to an almost medieval state for fear of their own demise through their technology (clues to something in their ancient past perhaps)

8. post-apocolyptic worlds with the inhabitants barely hanging on to life (likely not knowing about the stargate, or perhaps they fear it for it was the catalyst for their great cataclysm..etc.)

9. cultures older than the ancients with no interest in our petty ways, seeing us as little more than children (Vorlons from B5 as a kind of example)

10. ancient cultures barely surviving in their repsective star systems because they have out-lived their sun, or perhaps all neigboring suns (could be in an older part of the galaxy, or just an old galaxy period where most everything has turned to dust)

11. more alien civilizations, less human ones (just as a general rule of thumb)

12. dystopian society more advanced than our own technologically atleast openly to the public but perhaps without their own major stargate program...or with one

13. a sentient and benevolent machine race perhaps living in the cold of space and not on a planet period, they could however be near a stargate floating around a gas giant, a moon, or something else (no not replicators for god's sake)

14. a race in the early stages of space-colonization encountering aliens (us) for the first time

15. aquatic civilization at any stage of development (no not people made out of water, but people that evolved from something more like the dolphin than the ape) perhaps their require great amounts of pressure to survive as well as the aquatic atmosphere so they have to wear big-ol' suits or we can't communicate with them outside of them being inside space-ships..etc.. they could have land vehicles for exploration that to them would be much as a submarine is to us.

16. cultures that are more developed than us technologically except for our having asgard / ancient tech.

17. more cultures that are on equal tech level with the asgard / ancients..etc..

18. Dieing worlds (for whatever reason, perhaps the population was locked in a state of war for so long that they almost cease to exist now, and the war has been over for a very long time simply because nobody remembers what it was about / almost everybody is dead anyway..and the planet itself is dieing because of the after effects of the war.... or civilization barely surviving on a planet after a natural disaster of some sort, perhaps their planet is becoming a desert, no food / water or very little..etc..)

19. culture perhaps an alliance of aliens that use the stargate in the same way we do, for exploration / alliances / acquiring new tech.

20. an interstellar empire of some kind that is slightly oppressive but highly efficient, with a tech level rivaling our own, or slightly below our own (with the use of ancient / asgard tech)

21. an interstellar empire that has fallen either to neglect, xenophobia, or the intervention of another interstellar empire (maybe the one above) and all the worlds under it are now "free" with no real system of government, and looking to anyone willing to help them out for guidance, including ourselves and perhaps some others with less noble intentions)

that sure was alot of stuff, anyway I'd like to see some of that instead of just the same human cultures over n' over. not that I haven't seen some stuff similar to that in Stargate in the past, but you get the idea.
                    Pretty sure we have seen every single one of these on sg1 over the years.

No one will never have moar style than the Land of Light!

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                      This could be really interesting if we'll find lesser advanced races which will worship us as the gods. I would like to see how our "heroes" will deal with it.
                      I think we already did that back in SG1's "The First Commandment".

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                        I think we already did that back in SG1's "The First Commandment".
                        yes, but I would like to see it again
                        Stolen Kosovo
                        sigpic

Comment

But...but...that's copying SG1, and that's pure evil, no?

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                            But...but...that's copying SG1, and that's pure evil, no?
                            no. If they'll use interesting stories unce used in SG-1, it's ok. I'm not against it and I never was
                            Stolen Kosovo
                            sigpic

Comment

NO replacators!!!!! every thing exept replacators , they are the black spott on stargate

Comment

One thing they should not do is leave obvious options unexplored.
                                Give reasons why they didn't try this or why they don't use that piece of tech etc.

eg. Why dont they use zats? In the first new ep they are shown to be ineffective against the new enemies.
                                Why don't they use beaming tech? The radiation <insert believable technobabble> in this sector of the galaxy interferes with it, forcing them to use only the more reliable systems like rings or gate.

They could remove much of the uber tech advantage they have acquired over the seasons if they give reasons why, rather than just omitting it and hope nobody remembers.

Comment

Working...
                                X