Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meaning of Life Stuff- What does Stargate mean to you?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's always there. That's one of the great things about this show. After a long, hard day at work or at school, I can always count on an ep of Stargate (as long as my VCR is working properly!) to be there for a little pick-me-up. People always look at me weird when I say this, but it really does help. After watching the show so much, watching an episode is like spending an evening with friends. Getting to see what other people, albeit fictional, do, and how they make it through their own problems. This, in turn, helps me to stick with it and get through my own.

And it's not just the show itself, it's what it led to. Everyone on these forums are such great people, and are always there for someone in need. This has made quite a few days easier...I can come in here for a bite of good news or a laugh any day of the week, anytime of day.
    Always remember to smile. People will wonder what you're up to.

Comment

Originally posted by star1928

And it's not just the show itself, it's what it led to. Everyone on these forums are such great people, and are always there for someone in need. This has made quite a few days easier...I can come in here for a bite of good news or a laugh any day of the week, anytime of day.
      I really agree with you, it's amazing what an hour here can do to your mood! There have been a few times I've just had a really awful day and I'm in a bad mood, especially at the moment because I've got big exams soon, but spending a little while here makes me feel a lot better...everyone is so nice, and you can always have a bit of a laugh!

Comment

Originally posted by Hatusu
        Thanks! I've happily wasted hours here today. This is fun. Are you Dave the interviewer? I'm a fan. Your questions are very good.
        That would be I, Hatusu! Thanks! As quick and painless as they look, the audio interview series takes quite a bit of effort to bring to the Internet. Transcribing takes at least an hour (the one I'm currently working on took two hours to transcribe). Not to mention cutting the audio and working out the formatting on the html, something I'm seriously new at.

But we're going off-topic!

Comment

Its a pretty good TV series.
          The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

Stargate means that me, the wife and the kids can all sit around and actually watch somehitng that everyone likes. Great show, lots of fun!

Comment

It means...cool action, cool characters(and characters from the present day) chilled but still deep when need be.
              I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

It means...the greatness that is Jack O'Neill and cool enemies!
                xXBekXx
                Beware of the evil bunnie wabbits!
                I'm not weird, I'm obscure!
                Hello Kitty wocks!

Comment

Stargate is the best show if you love science fiction and have an extreme aversion to human built space ships that are capable of interstellar travel (I don't care how the aliens manage it to fly faster than light )

And you don't spend the majority of an episode with the thought, "Well, this is stupid, that could never work." until you sit down to learn a little bit about the physics of a (theoretical) wormhole.
                  No, 'Eureka' is Greek for 'This bath is too hot.'

"Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."
                  (LOST producer Damon Lindelof, May 2007)

Comment

Originally posted by star1928
                    It's always there. That's one of the great things about this show. After a long, hard day at work or at school, I can always count on an ep of Stargate (as long as my VCR is working properly!) to be there for a little pick-me-up. People always look at me weird when I say this, but it really does help. After watching the show so much, watching an episode is like spending an evening with friends. Getting to see what other people, albeit fictional, do, and how they make it through their own problems. This, in turn, helps me to stick with it and get through my own.
                    *agrees with all of the above*
                    One of the first eps i ever saw must been The Light from season four, whilst with rewatching its not a great ep it really got to me at the time. I was depressed to the point of suicide and i dunno, despite the fact its a tv show, it affected me - made me some of the irrationality of what i was feeling and realise that in my life im not alone.

Comment

Stargate is fantastically amazing and (suprisingly for a sci-fi show) realistic... Notice in StarTrek how the federation ALWAYS win, more to the point how you could see it coming a mile off, and they always win by a big margin? Stargate atleast makes you bite your nails off, need a spare change of underwear and get you strangelling your siblings before they show you how it unfolds.

I have spent so many hours just watching SG-1 and my girlfriend is a HUGE SG-Geek too, and that's so great 'cause we argue for ages over the subject (in a healthy way) and, well, everything I enjoy in life Stargate usually helps me to see the best side of it...

... plus Jack O'Neill and Teal'c's lines are HILARIOUS!

Comment

Stargate is a very realistic viewing of military life. I an a cold war vet, US Navy. One thing I hate about most miltary shows is that no matter how tired or stressed out people are they look great, and are so sweet to each other. In my experience at the end of a week of intense overwork we were snapping at or ingnoring each other. We also, looked stressed and worn out. I think the way the actors loook confortable in the dress uniforms, don't play with the covers, and never smack the ribbbon bars into anything is great.
                        The show opens the doors to endless possiblties, but not without consquences. It also does not provide an easy answer for every problem. That is true to life. ABYDOSCITY2
                        ABYDOSCITY2

Comment

I owe the GW forum for giving me an outlet of social (albeit virtual) contact this past year, when I've been feeling very isolated working at home alone all day. Thanks, everyone! (Remember that sing-along thread? That kept me sane that week...)

Plus, while it may not be meaning-of-life stuff, Stargate meant wearing a size 8 dress to my sister's wedding.

The fall before the wedding, SciFi started airing SG-1 every evening after work, when I'm most likely to spend an hour on the rowing machine. So I owe Stargate for keeping me distracted enough to continue rowing.
                          "Frankly, we're not surprised when she starts pulling large bombs from skin-tight catsuits..."
                          "Not only can Josette Simon really, really act, she gets the show's best introduction - she rescues Avon, announces he's the most beautiful man she's ever seen, then explains the only other man she's seen is her father, whose surname is, blissfully, Mellonby."
                          "This is a future where the women are beautiful, the men are ugly, and the only drink is creme de menthe."
                          --BBC CultTV's web review of Blake's 7 season 3 DVD (21.06.05)

Comment

Originally posted by VixyOwl (~~Ani)
                            Well, it may not be meaning-of-life stuff, but Stargate meant wearing a size 8 dress to my sister's wedding.

I'll explain: The fall before the wedding, SciFi started airing SG-1 every evening just when I got home from work, which is when I'm most likely to spend an hour on the rowing machine. So I owe Stargate for keeping me distracted enough to continue rowing.

I also owe the GW forum for giving me an outlet of social (albeit virtual) contact this past year, when I've been feeling very isolated working at home alone all day. Thanks, everyone! (Remember that sing-along thread? That kept me sane that week...)
                            i just LOVE your answer!

to me, stargate meant a whole new obsession! a cheaper one than anime!

Daniel: No Jonas, I will NOT play pass the mustard with you.
                            Jonas: What about pass the mayo?
                            Daniel: ...okay, but dont tell Jack.

Comment

Thanks. You don't think it's a little...self-indulgent? Everybody else is talking about love and leadership...

And I agree with you--Stargate, as an obsession, is cheaper than most. Have you *seen* what they're charging for the DVDs of other shows?!?
                              But I don't want to wander off topic!
                              "Frankly, we're not surprised when she starts pulling large bombs from skin-tight catsuits..."
                              "Not only can Josette Simon really, really act, she gets the show's best introduction - she rescues Avon, announces he's the most beautiful man she's ever seen, then explains the only other man she's seen is her father, whose surname is, blissfully, Mellonby."
                              "This is a future where the women are beautiful, the men are ugly, and the only drink is creme de menthe."
                              --BBC CultTV's web review of Blake's 7 season 3 DVD (21.06.05)

Comment

Originally posted by VixyOwl (~~Ani)
                                Thanks. You don't think it's a little...self-indulgent? Everybody else is talking about love and leadership...

And I agree with you--Stargate, as an obsession, is cheaper than most. Have you *seen* what they're charging for the DVDs of other shows?!?
                                But I don't want to wander off topic!

i guess...but i mean...sure the stargate opens opportunities and possiblities, i'm sure people have joined the air force because of stargate...and i'm sure alot of others got into *insert subject of the character's focus* for college...

but to me, stargate is a way to relax, and enjoy myself. i guess i have a hard time really connecting with television shows in an other than "oh look this is absolutely awesome" sort of way.

Daniel: No Jonas, I will NOT play pass the mustard with you.
                                Jonas: What about pass the mayo?
                                Daniel: ...okay, but dont tell Jack.

Comment

Working...
                                X