This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheTroj
    Thats what I am saying. Sometimes she just seems to brilliant to be believable. Thats my gripe with her character. My statement was a generalisation.
    Personally I don't find Sam anymore unbelievable than I find Jack or Daniel. All three have extra ordinary skill sets, which is why they are in the positions they are in. Personally I think the most unreasonable character's skill sets is actually Jack, but mostly because when you read his uniform it doesn't make much sense in relation to his stated background and you have to infer a great deal.

*shrug* Doesn't mean I don't accept Daniel or Jack even if I have to wonder about their brilliance in their respective fields.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      she's not always. a lot of the time she's just the impliment of someone else's bright ideas. Such as in bane when jack comes up with how to keep junior alive, or in redemption when jonas figures out how to keep the gate from blowing up on earth and lots of other examples.

Many times, it's not her answer or idea, it's someone else's, she just makes thier idea work
      Exactly. Add Jack's electricity solution as to powering the gate in "The Torment of Tantalus" to that list.
      Other times, anyone?
      Slainte
      "There are many forms of power, my dear. Some more subtle than others." Linea to Captain Carter, Prisoners, S2.

Comment

Originally posted by Lunar
        With regard to the shippiness being detrimental to Sam's character...
        I found it refreshing that she *didn't* give in to her feelings and sleep with him... that's what would have happened in a lot of other shows. To me it gave her character more grit, made me like her even more because she *refused* to compromise on her principles, despite her feelings. I hoped that *Jack* would be the one who would act with reguard to them being together, so that for once we would see the man giving up his career and the woman being allowed to continue hers... I thought that would fit Carter's character much better.
        Just IMO of course, feel free to disagree...
        Couldnt agree with you more. Allthough I do feel Jack would have been the one to leave anyway as he is 1.) Older 2.) Seemed to want to retire anyway in Lost City 2

Amra

Comment

"I still think that sam's odd behavior since grace is a result of brain damage "

Hell yeah, as if Putrid pete could be the result of anything else.

Amra

Comment

Amra, I understand that those sorts of references to Pete are used a lot in the Sam/Jack Shipper thread. But bear in mind that a lot of people here like the character of Pete, and it isn't particularly fair of them to read comments like that. It is only your opinion. That said, Pete is a fictional character, and you are entitled to say what you like about him on this forum! I'd just ask that you post with a little bit of consideration to the other fans here. Thanks
            sigpic

Comment

Thank you, Gipsy.

If I called Daniel half the unflattering names I've heard him called, I'd be flamed right off the board. I hate the double standard that seems to exist in regards to name-calling and general loathing of a charcter....

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                I hate the double standard that seems to exist in regards to name-calling and general loathing of a charcter....
                I think that's one of the things that I find frustrating about my post a few posts up thread. Sam is not okay because she's too brilliant to be believable, but Jack and Daniel can be extraordinary and be wonderful.

I am just sad that the fanbase is so divided that it has become nessecary to bash characters that you aren't fond of to make your favorite look better.

Comment

I personally find Putrid Pete, Pit, Ptui to be just as inappropriate as i found Jon***, weasel boy and all the other nicknames Jonas was so kindly given

to each his/her own, but i find it sadly ironic that if i were calliing sam the names pete has been called, or calling daniel the names jonas was called, like shadow, my kevlar undies wouldn't have been strong enough
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Okay I hope I've never bashed any characters- *looks around sheepishly* I love them all!!! I agree that I wish everyone could just get along as silly as that sounds- I don't hate anyone? I wish they didn't hate me- or whoever I like? You know? Maybe I'm babbling but I don't agree with any bashing at all I love Daniel & Jonas and jack and Teal's and even tho I am an avid shipper I even kind of like pete (just don't think he's roght for Sam).

Comment

Thank you, Gipsy.

If I called Daniel half the unflattering names I've heard him called, I'd be flamed right off the board. I hate the double standard that seems to exist in regards to name-calling and general loathing of a charcter....
                      Ok explain to me why Gipsy's reminder about not calling Pete an unfavorable name in an open forum somehow reference back to how you might be treated if you called Daniel a name? Was the person calling Pete a name a Daniel fan? Was Daniel being called names a part of the conversation at any time? Was Daniel discussion part of the conversation at anytime?

I mean this is the kind of thing that makes it uncomfortable for some people here. I mean NO ONE said a word about Daniel or name calling against him and yet this somehow became something to complain about regarding Daniel and his fans.
                      ______
                      Visit my Entertainment News blog at http://blogs.delphiforums.com/mrreedwriter

Join in the discussion at MichaelShanksArchive

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                        to each his/her own, but i find it sadly ironic that if i were ... calling daniel the names jonas WAS called, like shadow, my kevlar undies wouldn't have been strong enough
                        I've capitalised a word in your post which I think is the crux of it - you couldn't now call Daniel some of the things that Jonas was called, but neither could you call *Jonas* those things without putting backs up just as much. Nor could you any longer call Daniel or MS some of the things they were once called. You'd get soundly walloped for any of that, right? (Except obviously you wouldn't say any of those things )

If it wasn't for the occasional Pete Insult I'd be able to say that GW had moved right past all that. And even though Pete gets a lot of insults, it's not nearly the situation that once existed, not nearly, because as far as I can see the Pete-insults exist to convey a shared dislike of the character, and not to wind up other fans. That's borne out by the fact that the insults are rarely seen outside of one or two, um, 'obvious' threads.
                        Last edited by Madeleine; 27 September 2004, 10:52 AM.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by GateAngel
                          I mean this is the kind of thing that makes it uncomfortable for some people here. I mean NO ONE said a word about Daniel or name calling against him and yet this somehow became something to complain about regarding Daniel and his fans.
                          I think that what she is trying to communicate is frustration that it seems acceptable to make fun of and use insulting names for some characters, but that if the same was done for the Fab Four than the poster would be attacked relentlessly.

I don't think it's particular to Daniel's fans. I've gotten bad rep for saying as much as 'I don't care either way' on issues relating to Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                            I think that what she is trying to communicate is frustration that it seems acceptable to make fun of and use insulting names for some characters, but that if the same was done for the Fab Four than the poster would be attacked relentlessly.
                            Then why not stick to that type of generalization in wording. Why single out one character and his/her fans? Why simply not say, "thanks Gipsy for pointing out how unpleasant it can be to see a character called a name that others might not appreciate in an open thread".

That gets the point across, but doesn't create more discomfort or bad feelings.
                            Last edited by GateAngel; 27 September 2004, 01:30 PM.
                            ______
                            Visit my Entertainment News blog at http://blogs.delphiforums.com/mrreedwriter

Join in the discussion at MichaelShanksArchive

Comment

This isn't an attack against Daniel fans, it's called an example. I didn't want to leave it too general because I didn't feel that it would properly communicate my point. I used Daniel to illustrate my point because he is a much-beloved figure in fandom with an ardent and supportive fan base. I could easily have said Jack or Sam or Teal'c, but I chose Daniel because he's the one who sprang most readily to my mind. I didn't mean it as a slur or an insult and I wasn't trying to stir up any more "bad blood". All I'm saying is that if I or anyone slandered Daniel (or Jack, Sam, Teal'c, etc), I (or anyone) would be heartily flamed for it. BUT, since Pete isn't a main character and isn't as popular, people think it's OK to say vile things about him because "it's only Pete." I've heard vile things said against Jonas as well. And Weir. I don't care for any of it. It's my personal feeling that such vilification is a sad and unnecessary part of fandom. NO character deserves to be treated with such base animosity, especially when it reaches the level of wishing death upon him/her. Ye gods, people, it's just a TV show! Lighten up!

And as has been mentioned numerous times by numerous people, it should be kept in mind that just because YOU (general you) loathe a character doesn't mean that EVERYONE does. You should have enough respect for the opinions of others to not drag one character through the mud just to make your own Chosen Favorite look somehow better.

You have a problem with a character? That's fine, nothing wrong with that. But do we really need to resort to childish name-calling? Can't you express your feelings in a more mature way that actually might allow for some serious discussion?

Anyway, back on topic, I don't think that even a majority of people dislike Sam. I do, however, sense that a growing number of people are dissatisfied- in one way or another- with the way that she is being portrayed by the writers. Most of the complaints I've seen (except for a few spiteful individuals) have been thoughtful and well-reasoned and most of them have pointed out that the "disappointment" is more or less a recent thing. I've noticed a few people asking, "Where's the old Sam we all know and love?" I happen to count myself in that category. I used to think Sam was a great character. I still do... but I also feel that her strengths are being washed out by weak writing and lame storylines. Sam is not, IMO, as great a character as she once was and in MY eyes the blame is almost entirely upon the writers.

Comment

This isn't an attack against Daniel fans, it's called an example. I didn't want to leave it too general because I didn't feel that it would properly communicate my point. I used Daniel to illustrate my point because he is a much-beloved figure in fandom with an ardent and supportive fan base. I could easily have said Jack or Sam or Teal'c, but I chose Daniel because he's the one who sprang most readily to my mind.
                                I can totally understand that mentality, considering Daniel does tend to be the most popular. While Jack/Sam and Jack/Daniel fans are prevalent in this fandom, Daniel is probably the single most popular character.

Don't take this wrong way anyone, but I don't know why. (Uh oh, here it comes...) I mean, he's not any better than the other three, but you know... that's cool. He's an awesome character, but so are Teal'c, Sam, and Jack.

ANYWHO... That's enough of that...

Comment

Working...
                                X