Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jervanic, there's no need to make it so personal. How about discussing the content of the post rather than the way the post is written?

Comment

I didnt feel like it, is there something wrong with me complaining about people not taking the extra time to fix the errors? I mean, if it were a few errors i could understand that, but i can hardly read what this person has been saying.

Just a thought, if you don't like it, deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jervanic
        Seems to me like someone, not gonna mention any names, needs to go back to 7th grade english class.
        Seems to me like people who can't punctuate, spell "going to" or remember to capitalise the first letter of 'English' need to think on what most eight-year-olds know - that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

GW is home to people of different nationalities and ages and we don't give folk a spelling test on joining. Please comment on what a person has to say rather than on whether they say it with the right number of commas or whatever.

Madeleine

Comment

we dont? it seems to me like i just did.

Comment

Madeline is right.

GW is home to people of different nationalities and ages and we don't give folk a spelling test on joining. Please comment on what a person has to say rather than on whether they say it with the right number of commas or whatever.

is a good thing to have in mind when playing on this, or any other forum.

Gateworld rule #1 is to respect others.

My suggestion is to comment on the content of the post (what they are saying) not how they say it...or don't comment at all.
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Get on-topic, or get out of this thread, please. If you have issues with anyone's grammer or spelling then start a thread in the OT folder or PM a mod (there's a list of them in the FAQ if you don't like to go through me).

Either way, your words would carry more weight if you use apostrophes and capital letters...

Madeleine W
              GateWorld Moderator

Madeleine

Comment

Ha. Took a few minutes, but I found some threads.

* Sam in charge, but not really

* Why don't some like Sam in charge?

The second one is a lot older, but it probably has a better mix of opinions.

Comment

I don't hate Sam. I find s7 Sam much less appealing than s1-6 Sam.

Edit: WARNING!!!- After the first proper paragraph there is wanton and gratuitous attacking of Sam. Or perhaps rational and measured criticism. READ IT AT YOUR PERIL MWAHAHAHAHAAAAA

I have a few reasons; here's the main one: Grace. Spoilers...

I had always seen Sam as The Happy One. Jack had his inner demons, Teal'c was fuelled by a big dollop of guilt, and Daniel had the whole Sha're, Sarah and Shifu things. Sam on the other hand, Sam is living her dream, doing stuff so much more exciting than even her original pie-in-the-sky girlhood NASA ideas. She's the only one who seems to be on this trip for the sake of the trip itself, rather than as a means to an end. That makes her special amongst the team.

Then Grace. She *isn't* really happy, she's only content, she needs a man to be happy. And that's straight out of her brain, via a hallucination of her father. EH? Where did that come from? I wouldn't have liked to hear 'Jacob' say "you need Jack", but I wouldn't have liked Sam herself any less. The implication of *that* would have been that she's not complete without the person she loves. Boo hiss that it's Jack, but fair enough that if it is him she's yearning for she feels less than happy. But for her to be not happy due to lack of man *and at the same time telling herself via Dad-gram that Jack's not for her* when Jack is the only actual option suggested in the ep makes me really irritated.

I understand that in RL some women feel like that. Sam is a fictional character, and I have always enjoyed the fiction that Sam was a well-adjusted person who found her job fulfilling and then some. I'm disappointed to find out that (at least in recent months) it is not even a 'canon' fiction. Since Sam is not real I owe her nothing. And when the primary reason for my liking her goes (I'm not just saying this, I posted a great big long post more than a year ago about how the best thing about Sam is that she's so happy and fulfilled and living for the moment and enthused by the whole ride) surely I can be understood for liking her less than before?

Then Grace contained another whammy. She had been told by her Dad-shaped and Jack-shaped subconscious that she needs a man, but that Jack isn't good enough for her. Then she says that she'd drop everything if she knew how Jack felt.

Now to me that was wrong on so many levels. She's that enamoured of a man she feels to be Not Good Enough for her? How daft. She's so enamoured of him that she'd give up the job she adores (at least I had enjoyed believing she adored it) and yet hasn't ever asked him or told him that? How wet. I had never seen Sam as wet before, well maybe Descent . Those incidents may be short, and may not mean the same to anyone else as they did to me, but to me they coloured everything that came after it that season, and even a few that had come only just before. Grace changed who I saw Sam to be.

There you go, those are some reasons to be getting on with. Agree? Disagree? To be honest it doesn't really matter in the context of the initial post of this thread whether people agree or disagree with me, my point is that I have valid reasons for how I feel. So even the people who think I'm wrong about Grace having harmed who Sam is, they'd have to find not just an alternative view of Grace but actual holes in my logic to consider me *in the* wrong or unfair to feel so. I reckon, anyway.

I spend a fair bit of time at a place where many (though far from 'all') people feel as I do about Sam. What can I say to that though, except that like-minded people often tend to drift together. And we never griped nearly as much about how Sam was written prior to s7, which would bear out the idea mooted above: that our griping is fuelled not by a dislike of Sam as much as by a resentment of how she is written, or by disappointment that she's changed from the character we used to adore.
                  Last edited by Madeleine; 23 September 2004, 04:13 PM.

Madeleine

Comment

I love Sam. She's "smarter" than Jack. ^_^

Comment

[Quote
                      I had always seen Sam as The Happy One. .... Sam on the other hand, Sam is living her dream, doing stuff so much more exciting than even her original pie-in-the-sky girlhood NASA ideas. She's the only one who seems to be on this trip for the sake of the trip itself, rather than as a means to an end. That makes her special amongst the team.

Then Grace. She *isn't* really happy, she's only content, she needs a man to be happy. And that's straight out of her brain, via a hallucination of her father. EH? Where did that come from? ...I understand that in RL some women feel like that. Sam is a fictional character, and I have always enjoyed the fiction that Sam was a well-adjusted person who found her job fulfilling and then some. I'm disappointed to find out that (at least in recent months) it is not even a 'canon' fiction.

Then Grace contained another whammy. She had been told by her Dad-shaped and Jack-shaped subconscious that she needs a man, but that Jack isn't good enough for her. Then she says that she'd drop everything if she knew how Jack felt.

Now to me that was wrong on so many levels. She's that enamoured of a man she feels to be Not Good Enough for her? How daft. She's so enamoured of him that she'd give up the job she adores (at least I had enjoyed believing she adored it) and yet hasn't ever asked him or told him that? .... Grace changed who I saw Sam to be.

.....Sam was written prior to s7, which would bear out the idea mooted above: that our griping is fuelled not by a dislike of Sam as much as by a resentment of how she is written, or by disappointment that she's changed from the character we used to adore.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with a lot of the things you've said. Most of what I've read on this forum..and I haven't been to any other, says more about disappointment with the way Sam is being written than "I hate Sam". --I'm beginning to feel sorry for Amanda Tapping having to play this watered down part. Sam Carter was one of the best parts on TV period until season 7. She was bright, capable, and "way smarter" than the average female TV character. Then all of a sudden, we discover that she is 180 off what we had been led to believe. I think the first indication was in the episode with Orlan--when she is described as having no life--nothing to do if she isn't working in her lab. AT is suppose to be "liberated"--why would she let this character be portrayed this way? What purpose did it serve the episode? Would having a life have kept her from interaction with Orlan. NO. Did she gravate to him because she had no life? NO. It made no sense then. Grace is so weird. These characters are saying what she supposedly thinks they will say. So this means what comes out of their mouths is what she thinks of herself and of them. No let's not go there because none of it made any sense.
                      Sam just isn't Sam. Sam was never socially or professionally incompetent. Now she seems to be both. Why? What purpose is this serving? I am still hoping for an ending to the series that says "Seasons 7 and 8 were shot in an alternate universe and we will bring you the real Stargate in Season 9 or a movie, whichever." I like Sam a lot and I just wish, like you, that we had her back. TPTB have made a big mistake with this change in Sam. They set up the peramerters of this show and these characters and we like them so we watch; then they change the perameters and the characters and now they have to be wondering : why are the fans liking the show less than they did.
                      Last edited by muffo; 23 September 2004, 06:00 PM.

Comment

I don't know what you're talking about.......
                        O'Neill: Right, Carter you can fix it right?
                        Carter: Uh, I don't know sir...
                        O'Neill: What?!!??
                        -From Red Sky

Comment

Originally posted by Brandie
                          Haven't seen any hate here...

:/
                          I sure have.

It's weird. A thread like this has been around before, which just shows that this isn't just some fan who's seen an isolated incident or something. This seems to be some kind of fandom... epidemic or something. It happens.

I'll say what I've always said:

In my experience, Sam-bashers tend (note the "tend") to be Daniel-fans. I'm not saying that ALL of them or MOST of them are, but I've seen enough Daniel/Jack or Daniel fans to know that there are a good amount who are not exactly on the "Lovey-dovey" side when it comes to Sam. Ho hum. Sam has enough fans of her own, I suppose, so it probably doesn't matter to some people.

Either way, it seems like the two characters are pitted against each other on an almost semi-annual basis. Every six months I see it, and then it goes away.

Here's what I see: Fallible characters whom I'd admire if they were real people. At this point, I like the fictitious characters and I like all of the relationships that they have with each other, both on a one-on-one basis, and as a family. No character is perfect, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

No, we haven't seen her as a leader yet, but you can't assume that that means that she hasn't proven herself. Yes, there's a thing called "canon," but when that isn't provided, it's my choice to see what I think is there "off-camera" and "beyond the script." I'm sorry but that's just how I feel about it... What do you think?

Comment

Not like Carter?

What's not to like?

I've only seen a few SG1 eps, but in the few I saw she seems quite popular around the base..

Guys are either staring at her, or they talk about her, "She'll be here in a few seconds usually" then she comes in and they stare at her.

Has this been a recurring inside joke or something for a while or what?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Seven
                              Not like Carter?

What's not to like?

I've only seen a few SG1 eps, but in the few I saw she seems quite popular around the base..

Guys are either staring at her, or they talk about her, "She'll be here in a few seconds usually" then she comes in and they stare at her.

Has this been a recurring inside joke or something for a while or what?
                              As much as I like Sam, I don't think I've EVER noticed that...

Comment

[deleted by mod] Some [<--- inserted by mod] fans will always have a bone to pick with Sam as long as Carter is presented as second lead on the show. There is a great deal of resentment over this fact. There seems to be a sense of entitlement with some of these fans. Give us what "we" want with "our" favorite actor or we're going to trash the show. People need to realize that when an actor leaves a show for a year, it's quite possible that the remaining actors could move up in position/ranking on the show. Also, with this anti J/S agenda. How can people honestly think they can dictate to the writers what is good and what is bad on their own show? It's their "art". Let them present their plot lines as they see fit, then take it or leave it.
                                Last edited by GateGipsy; 24 September 2004, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X