Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beret Beret on the head, who is the most arrogant of them all?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GateGipsy
    aren't tampons also good for cleaning guns?
    Guns?

Don't make me say it again....

Well (back in my day) we had these rolls of lovely soft white fabric, two by four (I think) with red lines down it, at 2 inch (?) intervals. For a 9mm Browning you had to rip it to a certain size, for an SLR (Self Loading Rifle - now made obsolete, I believe, by the SA80) a different size, and for an SMG (Sub Machine Gun - the weapon most likely to be issued to the women) a different size again. I once had the pleasure of stripping and cleaning an LMG (Light Machine Gun - I think that was the initials) and a GPMG (General Purpose Machine Gun) and there were totally different rules for those.

You'll note that with the exceptions of the SA80 and the 9mm Browning (pistol) those weapons all have "gun" in their title. Even though they aren't guns. As such. By the strict military definition.

Was that evasive enough? In short, I guess it would depend on which size you used....

Shipperahoy: yep, I'm pretty much way past the stage of embarassment now. The Gruesomes will have to work very hard to get over the MC embarassment factor!!
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

MC, that's so funny! It's the second most embarrassing story I've ever heard about you!

<veg>

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
        MC, that's so funny! It's the second most embarrassing story I've ever heard about you!

<veg>
        Second? PM me with the first... unless it was that time in Pages when the barmaid tried to take away an "empty" glass with at least an inch of your expensive southern beer in it...

ETA: Mr.P - you have me intrigued... as ever...
        In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

aren't tampons also good for cleaning guns?
          better off using cotton buds (you know the ones with the little balls of cotton wool at either end of a stick?), assuming you mean rifles.

shaving brushes come in handy too.

"This is my rifle, this is my gun, this is for killin, this is for fun"

Comment

Since there seem to be a lot of ex-servies and current servies contributing to this thread, what extra bits of kit have we carried/do we carry other than standard issue stuff?

My favourite extras:
            1. Shaving brush (for cleaning firearms)
            2. Extra Tabasco sauce sachets
            3. Wet ones (moisturised paper towels/baby wipes, for cleaning off cam cream)
            4. Cable ties
            5. The ubiquitous black electrical tape

There are probably a few others, but I can't think of em right now.

And I might add, I still love my beret.

Comment

I'm sorry MC, is there something wrong with the word gun?
              sigpic

Comment

I'm sorry MC, is there something wrong with the word gun?
                Not if you're talking about an artillery piece, but apparently a military type would never call a personal weapon a gun.

See, MC: I do learn eventually.
                Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

LOL Mr Prophet - yup MC has educated me on this, but I know how much it winds her up...
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger
                    Second? PM me with the first... unless it was that time in Pages when the barmaid tried to take away an "empty" glass with at least an inch of your expensive southern beer in it...

ETA: Mr.P - you have me intrigued... as ever...
                    I could think of more embarrassing stories than that. How about being in a restaurant before Gru 2 was weaned...or shall I mention when the Berlin Wall came down...shall I stop now (clearly I've a death wish!).

see I was good and didn't even use the word bonnet...
                    sigpic

Comment

LOL Mr Prophet - yup MC has educated me on this, but I know how much it winds her up...
                      I'm just glad she lets me get away with aliens calling their weapons 'guns' from time to time.

Comment

I could think of more embarrassing stories than that. How about being in a restaurant before Gru 2 was weaned...or shall I mention when the Berlin Wall came down...shall I stop now (clearly I've a death wish!).

see I was good and didn't even use the word bonnet...
                        I haven't heard the Berlin Wall story. I'm intrigued...

Madeleine

Comment

Moi aussi. I have heard the restaurant with Gruesome 2 story from MC herself. I am curious as to whether this Berlin Wall story can top that.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

I seem to remember that dear ol' Ridley Scott pondered this very subject (headgear) on his audio commentary for the Black Hawk Down DVD.

The gist of it (as I recall) was that in a situation with say a dozen guys wearing virtually identcial clothing, helmets, equipment and weapons etc., charging around at a rate of knots, it gets hard telling one man from another.

Yes, you want characters to look as though the belong to the same unit/organistation, but you have to balance that with the need to be able to tell them apart from a distance.

This is why in Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles, Razak's Roughnecks have their name and rank stencilled on their helmet and also on the right shoulder pad.
                            sigpic
                            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                            To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                            And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak
                              This is why in Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles, Razak's Roughnecks have their name and rank stencilled on their helmet and also on the right shoulder pad.
                              Which is beyond stupid for other reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                                Which is beyond stupid for other reasons.
                                Having their name, rank and serial number stencilled on their uniforms? Surely that's just to save time when they're captured.

Or did you mean the entirety of Roughnecks?

Comment

Working...
                                X