X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something that has been bugging me for a while

In avalon part II Daniel reads this from the book found in merlin's trove:
    "There was a race of people on a great journey through space ... called the altera, after much time they found a great belt of stars. They named there new home avalon and built many astria porta"
    From this I have always assumed that the ancients named the galaxy we know as the milky way avalon and not just the region on the planet they knew as terra where merlin stached his trove.
    I would appreciate anybody elses views on the assumption, Thanks!

P.S. Sorry if this has already been raised but searching turned up nothing on this topic. And I hope that the use of the quote dosen't contravene the "use your own words" rule.

that makes sense to me.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I agree. Milky Way=Avalon. In Lost City pt. 2 Jack said "Terra Atlantis" when he talked about Earth. It's possible Merlin just used this term ("Avalon") later and didn't care about its meaning
      Stolen Kosovo
      sigpic

Comment

I think it's open to speculation, it could really mean any number of things. Avalon could be the galaxy, it could be the name of the first settlement they built, or it could be an alternate name for Earth. Although I tend to agree it's probably the galaxy.
        All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

well i havent the episode lately actually watched a few times in before i sleep ancient said they were going back to the milkyway.....

or in pegasus project morgan said the milkyway coordinates was here...

i could be wrong
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
            I agree. Milky Way=Avalon. In Lost City pt. 2 Jack said "Terra Atlantis" when he talked about Earth. It's possible Merlin just used this term ("Avalon") later and didn't care about its meaning
            You know, that same episode where jack said that is where we learn about the whole "six syllable" gate address thingie. While it has no direct correlation to anything significant, it's a shame that they didn't make the word "atlantis" fit into some six syllable thing for earth.
            "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
            Mark Twain

Daniel Jackson and Sam Carter are the kinds of nerds I want to be.

Comment

Unless Merlin introduced the word "Avalon" to the celts, (which is totally possible - They could've then named the place where Arthur was taken to be healed, Avalon) it probably wasn't what the Ancients called that. Could be that the Humans who wrote it replaced Avalon with the original word for a whole host as reasons.

However, the wording is unclear. It could be the galaxy or it could be the first world the Ancients landed on. So when Merlin took Arthur there to be healed, he could've really took him to the ruins of whatever Ancient technology was on this other planet. Perhaps there was a device there that would increase his mental capability enough to give him a chance at ascension. We'll probably never know for sure though.

Comment

Originally Posted by Sicktem
                So when Merlin took Arthur there to be healed, he could've really took him to the ruins of whatever Ancient technology was on this other planet.
                It could also mearly mean that he took him of world, to the stars as it where, as the name of the galaxy could be used in this manner (though I admit this is a long shoot)
                I do however think your on to something with thought that the book may have been writen by the celts which would remove most of the validity for an argument on ancient nomenculture based on this text.

Originally Posted by wise one
                in pegasus project morgan said the milkyway coordinates was here...
                Though morgan was actually an acended if I remember rightly (I don't have the episode on hand to watch) so she may have used this name based on her observations of the tau'ri (and possibly in order to remove any potental misunderstanding from Daniel). An in Before I sleep I can't find a reference to the milky way though there are several apparentally unprovoked uses of "earth" by the lantean council members. Though this itself may be a concequence of it being a reaccount by the alternate Dr Weir.

Comment

I had assumed that the Ancients considered our entire galaxy Avalon, not just Earth. That's what I took away from what was seen.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Maybe Avalon was a city ship similar to Atlantis but perhaps smaller.
                    sigpic
                    "We are the Fifth Race. Our role is clear. If there is any hope in preserving the future, it lies with us."
                    Signature made by RJB

Comment

Working...
                    X