This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

edited, thanks, lol...

yeah, i got the civilian-run-atlantis-expedition thing... but the writers seem to change the personalities of some of the military personal from SG-1 when they're on Atlantis, making some of them seem like 433holes... most notably Landry... especially when he lets SG-1 run rough-shod over the Milky Way doing almost anything they want, but holding SGA under the thumb of his ironclad fist...

any thoughts on the third series and if it'd be military, civilian, a 50/50 mix

oh, and woohoo!!! this be my 900th post :-)
    Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
    Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
    Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
    Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

Here's why General Landry would do that.

In SG-1, they were already engaging an enemy, and generally they've done a bang-up job making sure the enemy don't get to Earth. Twice, sure, they've come, but both times they were successfully repelled because of SG-1. For teh most part, in the 10 years the program has run, only twice has enemy incursion been a case.

For SGA.. they've been up for 4 years, and managed to reawaken an enemy in bulk, which resulted in countless cultures getting wiped out... they've sent the wraith to Earth, lost Atlantis to the replicators, formed instant enemies (Genii) and blew up 3/4 a solar system. They haven't exactly horded back a ton of usable technology for their troubles.

So in the eyes of the military, SGA's done more than its share of screwing up.

Comment

Originally posted by IcyNeko View Post

In SG-1, they were already engaging an enemy, and generally they've done a bang-up job making sure the enemy don't get to Earth. Twice, sure, they've come, but both times they were successfully repelled because of SG-1. For teh most part, in the 10 years the program has run, only twice has enemy incursion been a case.

For SGA.. they've been up for 4 years, and managed to reawaken an enemy in bulk, which resulted in countless cultures getting wiped out... they've sent the wraith to Earth, lost Atlantis to the replicators, formed instant enemies (Genii) and blew up 3/4 a solar system. They haven't exactly horded back a ton of usable technology for their troubles.

SG-1 alerted the existence of Earth to the Goa'uld after killing Ra... SG-1 blew up a star, and subsequently destroyed an ENTIRE solar system (no star, no system)... brought the galaxy to the brink of destruction several times by engaging the system lords... started a massive jaffa civil war due to the destruction of the system lords... alerted the existence of the ENTIRE galaxy to the Ori and have little chance of defeating them, resulting in the mass enslavement of civilizations...

hmm... SG-1 has f'ed up just as much as atlantis

SG-1 has not horded a lot of useful technology either... arguably the most useful is that which was gifted to them by the Asgard, the hyperdrives and shields for the ships... nothing that SG-1 secured on their missions... SG-1 also allowed Earth to nearly become overrun by replicators and simply LUCKED out in defeating them... they've also altered the timeline several times...

i'd say they're 50/50... and well, considering that the Pegasus galaxy is NOT being enslaved a second time right now, that SG-1 has caused more problems than atlantis...

Comment

Originally posted by IrishPisano View Post
          edited, thanks, lol...

yeah, i got the civilian-run-atlantis-expedition thing... but the writers seem to change the personalities of some of the military personal from SG-1 when they're on Atlantis, making some of them seem like 433holes... most notably Landry... especially when he lets SG-1 run rough-shod over the Milky Way doing almost anything they want, but holding SGA under the thumb of his ironclad fist...

any thoughts on the third series and if it'd be military, civilian, a 50/50 mix

oh, and woohoo!!! this be my 900th post :-)
          To me Landry can be an ass on both shows but for the few times I've seen him on SGA he is more of a jerk then not comparced to SG1.

You guys are talking about who casued more problems and who has brought back for technology etc. But maybe it has to do with the military not having as much control as they'd like over Atlantis and some of the animosity comes from that.

On the third series I think it depends on some thigns but I figure it'll be more like SGA then SG1; I could be wrong.

Congrats

back to the off topic chat:

When all the military and the two highest ranking civilian left Atlantis to return to Earth it seemed like Weir left Teyla in charge, whihc IMO makes sense since she is a great leader of her people and wouldlisten/take advice from both the civilian and military personal at Atlantis if a problem arose she hadn't dealt with before. But you guys are right with the 'heavy hitter' from both military & civilian are around Teyla is left right out.
          Ben Browder on who'd win a fight, Mitchell or Critchon..."Cameron would have the upper hand until Aeryn kicked his ass."

Comment

Erm... as a result of SG1, earth GOT technology to complete the Prommie, Deddy. They got ARGs. Now they have the Asgard database and tech. That's a ton.

Atlantis? They got a burnt corpse. :O

Comment

Erm... as a result of SG1, earth GOT technology to complete the Prommie, Deddy. They got ARGs. Now they have the Asgard database and tech. That's a ton.

Atlantis? They got a burnt corpse. :O

The Prommie was introduced in season six. Atlantis has yet to begin season four.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightbane View Post
                Differently as Colonel Carter is the head of Atlantis until Weir gets better
                You need to put *SPOILERS* in your post dude !
                Let it be known for all times there were once two planets in this system. The planet Lister made great television shows. The planet Liber made crap
                They had to fake the ratings
                They had to fake the ratings.
                Let it be known for all times there were once...

Comment

Well, that's what happens when you have incompetent Sheppard and Weir at the helm.

Comment

Originally posted by gange57 View Post
                    The Prommie was introduced in season six. Atlantis has yet to begin season four.
                    Well big difference though, in SG-1 we just started with experimenting and implementing advanced technology, why it took so long for the USAF to implement it. But with the experience and knowledge gained with international cooperation, you think something of use would come out less than four years.

Comment

SG-A is definitely anti military. The writers come from the "real world" and Canada is no different. In the "real world" the US and in particular the US military is pretty much hated world wide (for good reason or not - you decide). Naturally the writers inject their own prejudices into the story lines.

Red berets for Marines, (GMAB give me a break). Gen Landry acting like no general I've ever run across. His hair's too long, he talks too much, etc. Remember good old Gen Hammond, he'd been a US Army CAPT in real life so he knew how to act.

I think the writers have explored the SG-A conflict of military vs civilian way too much. Let it rest people!

Comment

I was suprised on how Landry acted towards SGA when Atlantis was lost to them, But um...I think we are trying to compare him to the Great Hammond of Texas. Jack did say that He had "Big shinny shoes" to fill (Regarding himself).

I think it had to deal with the fact that Landry didn't know these people and he expected more from them. He pretty much found out that the SGC is full of fools in the first few days on the job...
                        [An alarm is sounding. Harriman checks his watch as he and Siler stand, facing Ba'al's hologram.]
                        HARRIMAN
                        I'm sure he'll be here any second now.
                        [Ba'al is obviously impatient.]
                        HARRIMAN
                        So, um…

Take our ships, take our toys, take our awesome alien tech... I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take Stargate from me!

Special Thanks to Elles sence this is a ripof of her great sig.

Comment

Originally posted by ColCaldwell View Post
                          Well big difference though, in SG-1 we just started with experimenting and implementing advanced technology, why it took so long for the USAF to implement it. But with the experience and knowledge gained with international cooperation, you think something of use would come out less than four years.

Yea, and Atlantis just started experimenting with Ancient tech. For a fair comparison, you would have to compare technological advances over a similar period of time (S1-3). Granted, it's been awhile since I've seen the first three seasons of SG-1, but I don't remember too many advances. SG-1, much like the Atlantis expedition, were scavengers in their early years. It took awhile for those advances to materialize. The lack of technological advancements shouldn't come as a surprise when you compare the current state of Earth technology with Ancient tech.

Comment

I don't think it's a fair comparison at all, when the SGP started, we literally knew nothing about technology beyonf our own, with all the expertise taken to Atlantis, we should have gained something by now.

Comment

Originally posted by SG-25CSAR View Post
                              I think we are trying to compare him to the Great Hammond of Texas. Jack did say that He had "Big shinny shoes" to fill (Regarding himself).
                              An impossible comparison to make. No one is as awesome as Hammond of Texas.
                              sigpic

See ya at the con, baby! (L.A. '11) (L.A. '10) (L.A. '09) (Burbank '08) (Burbank '07)

Comment

i don't know, O'Neill with 2 l's comes close...

Comment

Working...
                                X