This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the name

of that transparent map that I've seen on all Stargate's spaceships and also in images of real navy vessels?

It huge, has some form of images on and I think is used as mapping platform?

Also there is one in the SGC behind Walter?

Just need the name, thanks
    It's a joke. My way of deflecting attention from my own obvious heroism. You'll get used to it.

Galaxy map?
    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
    Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou View Post
      Galaxy map?
      I seem to renmeber the name galaxy map from the movie but there never really been any reason to name
      sigpic
      Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
      Metal gear fan

Comment

I'd say something like this:

http://www.sperrymarine.northropgrum...stems/vms_vt5/
        http://www.sperrymarine.northropgrum...ems/naviecdis/

They also use a clear board for tactical planning... http://www.examiner.net/ussharrytruman/inside.html ... they call it an Ouiji Board.

Comment

I don't think the real navy call it a Galaxy Map (and I'm pretty sure they have something similar)

What I'm looking for seems closest to the first image in that picture: http://www.examiner.net/ussharrytruman/inside.html

Ok, I found an image:

http://www.stargatecaps.com/sg1/s9/9...amelot484.html

It's directly behind him in that photo

Thanks for the help
          It's a joke. My way of deflecting attention from my own obvious heroism. You'll get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Promethius30 View Post
            I seem to renmeber the name galaxy map from the movie but there never really been any reason to name
            I got it from Star Wars.
            I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
            Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Its name is "Big pointless see-through set piece showing a 3D galaxy on a 2D surface which is only there as it looks cool, fills the space and you can shine a light through it"

I mean surly you could just use a computer screen to show you where you are. I mEAN WHATS IT FOR? I know navy ships use to use in for track planes and in the WWII they used "war maps" to show troop movements. But in a space ship could you not use something more advanced?
              sigpic
              Banner Made By Me for Me
              The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

It's a Star Chart, like the nautical charts they have in submarines
                sigpic
                Spoiler:
                President of the 'AFTU Writers Association'
                President of the 'Count to 15,000 Legends' club
                Forum Charmer
                Forum Ambassador
                Prince of The Hugglings

CURA STORY LINE, ATFU Pg 53 - Pg 804 (751pages)
                VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT1, AFTU Pg 804 - 912
                VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT 2, AFTU - Pg 855

Comment

.... umm.....what they said.

Comment

Originally posted by MechaThor View Post
                    Its name is "Big pointless see-through set piece showing a 3D galaxy on a 2D surface which is only there as it looks cool, fills the space and you can shine a light through it"

I mean surly you could just use a computer screen to show you where you are. I mEAN WHATS IT FOR? I know navy ships use to use in for track planes and in the WWII they used "war maps" to show troop movements. But in a space ship could you not use something more advanced?
                    what if your screen blows up? or the navicomp goes down and you still need to plot a course manually, at least you still have a flat (wipe clean too) surface to do your calculations on. sensor techs can add data to one side while tactical officers can read the other without them being in each others way. if your sensors do go down, at least you still have a 'real' tactical map instead of a dead screen showing nothing.

techs great till it breaks, then you end up with a pen and paper again, its a most basic backup system and would be idiotic to not have it. in apollo13 when one of them needs his numbers checking, 5 guys all check by hand instead of using computers (yes i know they wern't very good then, but the principal is the same) miss one character when your inputing your numbers and its easy to miss on a keyboard, but on a 'real' board you can see at a glance if your missing something. i seem to remember someone lost a real space craft due to missing 1 comma (as in "," ) in its program (fired for missing punctuation can't be good on the resume)

too many good reasons to have it and none for losing it

AND it looks cool
                    sigpic
                    EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
                    -Liberty Prime

Comment

...uhhmm..what they said but with Magnets

Comment

What are you all talking about? Those maps look nothing like the ones onboard the Daedalus class ships.

Vala,

Comment

Working...
                        X