This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Prior_of_the_Ori View Post
    Wasnt Ba'al. It was that Goa'uld whose name I have forgotton that attempted to win the Tollan triad trial of Klorel. Zipacna I think it was....
    yeh, but i like baal better
    sigpic
    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
    ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by squeakytoad View Post
      You just found out Abydos is in Egypt?

I now have no doubt that my education in home school was a decent one, as I learned that at seven.
      Either that or the quality of education has greatly declined in the last decade.
      I'm sorry that I havn't spent time on Mythology to know all about egyptian Mythology. I'm sorry I spent my time learing Calculus, Chemistry, English, Spanish, History and other unimportant subjects.
      Vote Anubis for President in 2012
      A Face you Can Trust
      sigpic
      So whats the worst that could happen?
      Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
      It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

What was the exhibition about? Was it about the whole of Ancient Egypts history or only a small part of it? Were there any cool stuff to see?
        The exibition was called: Egyptian Antiquities from the Louvre (Journey to the Afterlife) and as the name explains.....all of the items where in some relation to the journey from life to the afterlife.

I traveled to Canberra just to see it......

It was the first Egyptian exibition that I have ever seen.......it was amazing.....I spent about four hours in there..........looking at over 200 pieces including someones "Book of the Dead", Sarcophagus, and even a Mummified Cat

I knew I'd get some of those facts wrong.........
        CARTER:
        You spent seven years on MacGyver......and you can't figure this one out.......

We've got belt buckles and shoe laces and a piece of gum.........build a Neucliar Reactor for crying out loud.......

You used to be MacGyver........MacGadjet.........MacGimmic........Now your Mr MacUseless.......

Dear God............I'm stuck on a glacier with MacGyver.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PdY3...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by fugiman View Post
          I'm sorry that I havn't spent time on Mythology to know all about egyptian Mythology. I'm sorry I spent my time learing Calculus, Chemistry, English, Spanish, History and other unimportant subjects.
          Actually, man, I'm sorry. That was a pretty stupid thing for me to say. Sounded like an idiotic jerk.
          My apologies.

Comment

Don't slam mythology, people devote thier lives to the study of it. It is the basis of any culture and civilzation.
            sigpic

Comment

Hi!

It is incorrect to say that there are no vowels in the hieroglyphic language, since there is no such thing. There is the Egyptian language, which had vowels just like any other, and then there's the hieroglyphic writing, and in that writing system there are no vowels.

Hathor is not pronounced Hat-or either, but Hat-hor. And that is a very late pronunciation from Graeco-Roman times, too. In Ancient Egyptian times the name was pronounced something like Hyoowat Hahroo if I recall correctly. All the Egyptian names in Stargate are those adopted from the Greeks who went to Egypt, and they differ considerably from the original Egyptian names.

Hathor is neither the sister nor the daughter of Isis and Osiris. She is the daughter of Ra.

Ra and Re both appear frequently in Egyptological literature, while I have the impression that Ra is more frequent in the English speaking world, here in Europe we tend to say Re (although I prefer Ra, probably because Stargate got me into Egyptology ).
              Re is probably more accurate, since it is the latest known pronunciation of the name. Egyptian ceased to be a spoken language some time in the middle ages, and by that time, in Christian Egypt, the name no longer refered to a god, but only to the sun. In the time of the Pyramids, the name was pronounced "Ree-oo", later, in Rameses' time, "Ree-ah".

And it was not Ra who destroyed Osiris, but Seth, the villain of that particular myth.

Whoever explained stuff at that exhibit really needs to read some books...

Greetings from Germany!

Club Mats likes you.

Comment

Originally posted by squeakytoad View Post
                Actually, man, I'm sorry. That was a pretty stupid thing for me to say. Sounded like an idiotic jerk.
                My apologies.
                Thank you for apologizing. It shows that you are a big person and I respect that very much so I accept you apology.

Iffy
                Don't slam mythology, people devote thier lives to the study of it. It is the basis of any culture and civilzation.
                I'm not slamming mythology. In fact I am in a class for it right now and I enjoy it. Since I was little I have liked mythology. So I'm sorry if you interpreted what I said as negative towards mythology but I wasn't trying to.

Greetings from Germany!
                Greetings from America
                Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                A Face you Can Trust
                sigpic
                So whats the worst that could happen?
                Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

I'm not slamming mythology. In fact I am in a class for it right now and I enjoy it. Since I was little I have liked mythology. So I'm sorry if you interpreted what I said as negative towards mythology but I wasn't trying to.
                  nuances get lost on the internet

first thing I learned in Latin class was we think it is this but.......... Actually that sums up most of my academic experience: dead languages & anthropology
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
                    They have borrowed from just about every major mthyos out there. Some more than others
                    not the Jedi XD
                    I Am Locutus_Of_Borg Resistance Is Futile, Hallowed Are The Ori, We Go Out With Our Phasers Firing

[QUE] Founder/Admin - Observation Of Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen Entanglement On Supraquantum Structures By Induction Through Nonlinear Transuranic Crystal Of Extremely Long Wavelength Pulse From Mode-Locked Source Array

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus_Of_Borg View Post
                      not the Jedi XD

well anceint mythos that is.
                      sigpic

Comment

I was in my mythology class today and I just found out that Abydos is a real place in Eygpt. I know a lot of the Goa'uld and other things have mythology in them but then I started going through my mythology book and realized there are tons of mythology connection (some inacuate) in the Stargate universe. I mean there I know thats what the show is based on the Goa'uld being gods but I mean damn I didn't realize there was this many. Just thought I should share that and if anyone else wants to comminit on this go ahead. Also did you know that Osrisis is a man in mythology but a woman on Stargate just thought I should add that
                        Yes, stargate used mythology in many of it's plots and stories. Too bad they don't use it more often and correctly. The Egyptain mythology they could get away with just throwing out names of egyptian gods and stating it a "Goa'uld." Not as many people are familiar with Egyptain mythology and much of it still needs to be explored.

Arturian and Greek mythology is studied more, one would think they would use more of it in the story line. Excaliber, lady of the lake, the round table...ect. Kind of disappionted in that lack.

I'm also discouraged over the lack of detail usage that that Plato had included in his account of Atlantis. The city we got in the series and what we have in the account are two differnt things. They never explored the mystery metal, Orichalcum...a substance that Plato said was no longer in existance but second only to gold in value. It was red in color and a metal mined from the moutains od Atlantis. There was also three ringed canals that surrounded the city. Each lined with red, white and black stone. He spoked of the ten kings of Atlantis and how each king was a twin to Poseiden. The oldest was Atlas and he got the most land. He also spoke of the main temple with the six winged horses and the chariot all made of Orichalcum. Hot and cold running srings in the center of the city. And still more!
                        Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Hotep Ka Heru'ur View Post
                          It is incorrect to say that there are no vowels in the hieroglyphic language, since there is no such thing. There is the Egyptian language, which had vowels just like any other, and then there's the hieroglyphic writing, and in that writing system there are no vowels.
                          Oops, my tiny mistake, mixed it up a little, sorry. Of course, the egyptian language had to have vowels. Would have been an awkward language if it didn't. Writing was a whole other matter...

Originally posted by Hotep Ka Heru'ur View Post
                          Whoever explained stuff at that exhibit really needs to read some books...
                          Yeah, was thinking the same thing.

Btw, you have a cool nickname.

Originally posted by AustrALIEN View Post
                          The exibition was called: Egyptian Antiquities from the Louvre (Journey to the Afterlife) and as the name explains.....all of the items where in some relation to the journey from life to the afterlife.
                          Cool. The exhibition sounds vaguely familiar. i think I've heard about it.

I was at the Louvre a couple weeks ago, had to sprint through the Egyptian section though, my sister had taken up too much time in the Assyriology section (she is an Assyriologist so go figure).
                          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                            Yeah, was thinking the same thing.

Btw, you have a cool nickname.
                            Thanks, it means "peace is the spirit of Horus the Great" or "the spirit of Horus the Great is content"
                            And I dig your name too!

Club Mats likes you.

Comment

Working...
                            X