X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by resurgamlaura View Post
    Especially the drag
    I would say in Roman terms...after 100 AD? You do have the emperors, and without them we wouldn't have the glorious Suetonius' 'Lives of the Twelve Caesars'- which is full of scandal, gossip and strange little details, but yet he manages to show more detachment and archness then any 'true' historian (eg. Tacitus!!) usually did. His account of Nero is a classic The fiction after the Augustan period is rubbish though (shudders at the thought of Lucan and Seneca).
    Good old Tacitus lol he really liked the Germania.

I love it when you get the praetorian guard taking out emperors who are bugging them. Such nice guys.

The Caesars needed some symboites and a less jaded population, maybe they could have held it together. Once they started feeding the masses and entertaining them, the plebians were more in control than the patricians.
    sigpic

Comment

But the patricians were such snobbish, over-masculating (I've made that a word!), over-compensating, dominating and secretly but highly neurotic fools so much of the time it wouldn't have made a difference. The fact that the 'Republic' was in actuality a oligarchy where the only 'democratic' voting was done by plebians and freedmen who depended on the elite candidate for survival... The moment they started to build an empire, they were doomed. The idea of them having symbiotes is fun though. For some reason I have Nero as a full-on randy party Goa'uld, Tiberius as the obligatory one who you wouldn't trust but is more 'human' (poor bloke never got over his wife ) and Caligula would be the cynical loony. Great fun
      sigpic

Courtesy of smurf, as always

Comment

hmmmmm that could explain why Julius wanted to conquer the world

I was watching 'Needs' last night, they had Maya/Aztec stuff in the background.

Never did Seneca.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
          hmmmmm that could explain why Julius wanted to conquer the world

I was watching 'Needs' last night, they had Maya/Aztec stuff in the background.

Never did Seneca.
          You don't want to. His philosophy and letters can grate, and his tragedy...oh dear sweet lord, no, no, NO
          'Needs' is a weird one, no? It revolves around an essentially Egyptian burial object which has spread throughout the Goa'uld, but the culture itself is a mixture. The dress does not really specify a culture, and neither do their objects, but the architecture is definately leaning towards that period, except more gilded and painted as per crazy overlord usual The costumes seem to fit into the non-specific ancient stereotypes, with lots and lots of shiny fabric and some skimpiness. Daniel's hair was highly amusing- 'We'll rumple it! Yes, rumple!'
          sigpic

Comment

You don't want to. His philosophy and letters can grate, and his tragedy...oh dear sweet lord, no, no, NO
            'Needs' is a weird one, no? It revolves around an essentially Egyptian burial object which has spread throughout the Goa'uld, but the culture itself is a mixture. The dress does not really specify a culture, and neither do their objects, but the architecture is definately leaning towards that period, except more gilded and painted as per crazy overlord usual The costumes seem to fit into the non-specific ancient stereotypes, with lots and lots of shiny fabric and some skimpiness. Daniel's hair was highly amusing- 'We'll rumple it! Yes, rumple!'
            His hair got more and more curly and ruffled.

You had like 2 anceint cultures - really you could sell me on a Mayan/Aztec coffin thing more than the Egyptian style one they used. It was a bit weird that way consistency was off a bit or maybe the go'ould that the Father killed off was just eclectic (sp?) in thier decorating tastes.

I liked Sam's Tok'kra flashback.

makes note to avoid Seneca
            sigpic

Comment

His hair got more and more curly and ruffled.

You had like 2 anceint cultures - really you could sell me on a Mayan/Aztec coffin thing more than the Egyptian style one they used. It was a bit weird that way consistency was off a bit or maybe the go'ould that the Father killed off was just eclectic (sp?) in thier decorating tastes.

I liked Sam's Tok'kra flashback.

makes note to avoid Seneca
              They didn't have an actual Goa'uld who could give them a precise culture, so they did what they usually do in those circumstances and go for a combo culture with lots of opulence and shinies to draw the eye. Usual weird Hollywoodish mixture of ancient designs. On the Mayan subject, I do love how they were so determined that Hathor should never see the light of day that they dumped her in South America
              Also avoid Lucan. Lucan is incidentally Seneca the Younger's nephew. Also steer clear of Pliny's letters concerning his wife (a modern female response is usually 'ick, ick, urgh'), and Menander, because his plays are really not funny. At all.
              sigpic

Comment

They didn't have an actual Goa'uld who could give them a precise culture, so they did what they usually do in those circumstances and go for a combo culture with lots of opulence and shinies to draw the eye. Usual weird Hollywoodish mixture of ancient designs. On the Mayan subject, I do love how they were so determined that Hathor should never see the light of day that they dumped her in South America
                Also avoid Lucan. Lucan is incidentally Seneca the Younger's nephew. Also steer clear of Pliny's letters concerning his wife (a modern female response is usually 'ick, ick, urgh'), and Menander, because his plays are really not funny. At all.
                I try to avoid any male from antiquity writing about women. It stirs the inner miltant feminist in me to anger. Much like Virgils oops lost a wife oh well, I'll get a new one.

Well the tree canopy is rather heavy in parts of South America

All sparkle and dazzle no substance but Daniel's my destiny. Here honey hop in so I can brainwash you a little.
                sigpic

Comment

I am slowly working my way through season 2. Reyac (sp?) put the basball mitt on his head - too funny

a bit cargo culty in a cute way
                  sigpic

Comment

I try to avoid any male from antiquity writing about women. It stirs the inner miltant feminist in me to anger. Much like Virgils oops lost a wife oh well, I'll get a new one.

Well the tree canopy is rather heavy in parts of South America

All sparkle and dazzle no substance but Daniel's my destiny. Here honey hop in so I can brainwash you a little.
                    :LOL:
                    Hence the fact that she needs to brainwash him. Circumnavigates the whole issue of her not having a personality...
                    Its strange to think that that kid has quite literally grown up whilst doing Stargate. Quite cool though.
                    sigpic

Comment

Watching the early seasons I realize that the haircut sorks better on Spader. I keep thinking Danny needs a haircut
                      sigpic

Comment

Snippity-snip in the last ep of season two-thank the higher powers But then they gave him the brushed down hair, which I think was a deliberate attempt to make him look sweet and vulnerable, which kinda backfired because then everyone was up in arms when he actually started to get in people's faces and get a bit moody (which considering everything he had been through and his personality, I think he had the potential to be)...and that was random. Sorry
                        sigpic

Comment

He's so cute when moody

I had somehting relevant to post and now it's gone
                          sigpic

Comment

He's so cute when moody

I had somehting relevant to post and now it's gone
                            I know that feeling...
                            sigpic

Comment

It occurred to me tonight that lost and found is a theme that re-occurs over and over in Stargate.

I'm too tired to be anything but shallow aobut it at this point

still can't remember what I wanted to post earlier

Night
                              sigpic

Comment

You'll just have to watch all the episodes again until you remember, won't you

Yep, 'lost and found', whether it be physical or spiritual, does actually crop up quite a bit...from culture, to family, belief, faith, to your sense of self (eg. the ascension business), etc. Ooh, we're getting deep...
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X