Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's so great about whumping? (Spoilers if you feel like it)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's so great about whumping? (Spoilers if you feel like it)

I've been wondering something for quite some time now:
    What's so great about whumping?

While perusing Gateworld, I'll constantly see people mention whumping in an affectionate way, wishing for more of it, wishing for their favourite character(s) to be whumped. Heck, there are even threads for it in the Characters and Relationships section.

So I wonder: Why?

Is it a sexual thing? Is there some kind of hidden sexiness to <insert character here> getting whumped (even if the whumping itself is not sexual and their clothes do not tear)?

Or is it something else? What's your reason for liking whumping (there's no wrong answer here... except possibly "I like it when people get hurt")? Because I personally do not want my favourite characters to get hurt beyond flesh wounds (well, it's OK if they get terribly injured as long as it doesn't happen often and they make full recoveries).

Well, you know, RDA, for example, falls so gracefully when he's "shot," it's quite... pleasant to watch.
    Keep Carson. Keep Elizabeth.
    Keep Atlantis.

Lemming #14
    -Clueless Lemming Cretin-

Image by Cailliath

Comment

I steered away from those threads. Taking pleasure from another’s pain (real or not) creeps me out!

Comment

Honestly? It's a tough one to explain. Let me say first of all that the more "generic" name for whumping is hurt/comfort.. and the comfort part is a very important aspect to it. It's not about wanting to see a character get hurt because you don't like them... we whumpers only whump the characters we like and, in most cases, we also "thunk" for that character (to use GW terminology! ).

Whumping is very much about the character and, in some ways, seeing them tested to their limits. It's about enjoying the insight that suffering, whether physical or emotional, gives into that character's strengths and weaknesses and friendships and relationships. It's about seeing that character face adversity and come through stronger. It's about seeing that character be strong even in their weakest moments.

As I said, the comfort element is a large part of it. I love whump stories but I don't like deathfic and I much prefer whump stories to have no permanent repercussions (yes, it's TPTB's magic reset button! ) - I like the character to be able to completely recover from the whump.

I guess in some ways whump may be connected to the mothering instinct.. that desire to care for someone who is injured or in need of help. I would say there is definitely an element of sexual attraction to whumping - not in terms of some weird fetish or finding pain arousing or anything! - but it's really ahrd to quantify/explain.

Whether you call it whumping or hurt/comfort or whatever, it has been around in one form or another for a long time - just think about how many films, books, TV shows etc involve characters (usually attractive characters) being brave and stoic through some kind of injury or trauma.

In summation, I honestly can't explain it and I think it's probably one of those things that you either get or you don't...

Sorry not to be of more help!
        sigpic

Comment

Very nicely said Ali. I agree with it.

Adversity can bring out many qualities in people that sometimes remain hidden or undiscovered. It is these elements that are brought out when a character gets whumped that is the enjoyment for me. Whump is about triumph over tragedy and bonds that are stengthened between friends.

In the end, without the whump, the characterization of a 'hero' is lessened for me. *shrugs*
          sigpic

Comment

Wow I myself understand now...I thought you just whumped because you feel an overwhelming hatred to that character.....like my best friend feels towards Vala (because apparently Daniel is "Her man"...yeah her's and a thousand others ) But yeah my friends think I'm nuts when I said "Season Six was perhaps it's greatest" because I'm a big Daniel fan...I loved it so much because I saw how the characters seemed to grow more towards each other and became closer and took comfort in one another in their time of need. I think that it's good to see how the charcter and their relationships grow during such stressful times....I don't enjoy the beating up but I do like the character development it brings with it......

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Jumper View Post
              Wow I myself understand now...I thought you just whumped because you feel an overwhelming hatred to that character.....like my best friend feels towards Vala (because apparently Daniel is "Her man"...yeah her's and a thousand others ) But yeah my friends think I'm nuts when I said "Season Six was perhaps it's greatest" because I'm a big Daniel fan...I loved it so much because I saw how the characters seemed to grow more towards each other and became closer and took comfort in one another in their time of need. I think that it's good to see how the charcter and their relationships grow during such stressful times....I don't enjoy the beating up but I do like the character development it brings with it......
              Thank you so much for explaining in one sentence what I was unable to in my entire long post of gibberish! That's it exactly!
              sigpic

Comment

But you seem to speak mostly about whump fanfics (the Hurt/Comfort version, which I do know about because I also read fanfics).

However, here on Gateworld, I often see people go "Squee" around actual whumping which occurs on the show (and we have yet to see serious Hurt/Comfort action going on. Just "Hurt").

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                  But you seem to speak mostly about whump fanfics (the Hurt/Comfort version, which I do know about because I also read fanfics).

However, here on Gateworld, I often see people go "Squee" around actual whumping which occurs on the show (and we have yet to see serious Hurt/Comfort action going on. Just "Hurt").
                  Fanfic is a large part of whump enjoyment precisely because we don't get the whump we want in the show - in particular we don't often get infirmary scenes and the whole comfort part of the hurt.. hence why we fill in the gaps with fanfic - as evidenced by the amount of tag fics to whumpy episodes likes TDO or Common Ground.

The comfort part of the hurt/comfort thing is important but yes, part of the attraction is the hurt too. And that's why people squee about it on here. Again, it's hard to explain... but it has a lot to do with, as I tried to say above (and I'm sorry this is all so vague, it really is hard to quantify), seeing the character's strengths etc thrown into sharp relief by their reaction to a difficult situation. To use 38 Minutes as an example which can be freely discussed without spoiler tags, that episode, happening early on in the show as it did, went a long way to set out and solidify the team dynamic. Seeing the team's concern for Sheppard's worsening situation helped to portray the building friendships there and seeing Sheppard immobilised and in pain and yet still commanding his team, snapping McKay out of his panic, reminding them or their responsibilities to the marines in the forward section etc told us a lot about his character and made us whumpers admire his strength and his spirit.

The only way I can try and explain to you the appeal of the hurt part of whumping is that when someone you find attractive gets whumped, it makes you feel all protective and want to hug them to bits!

The main thing to remember, of course, is that it is not real and that is part of the attraction. We whumpers would never countenance and certainly not enjoy real-life whumpage. We wouldn't enjoy seeing or reading about real people in pain. As an analogy, on a slightly sensitive topic so therefore in spoilers:
                  Spoiler:
                  A common sexual fantasy is the rape-fantasy. However, the key word is fantasy and enjoying a rape-fantasy does not in any way mean that you want to be raped or enjoy the idea (the real idea) of rape.

Whump is kinda the same... we enjoy things from a fantasy-perspective that we would never enjoy "squeee" over in real life.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
                    Honestly? It's a tough one to explain. Let me say first of all that the more "generic" name for whumping is hurt/comfort.. and the comfort part is a very important aspect to it. It's not about wanting to see a character get hurt because you don't like them... we whumpers only whump the characters we like and, in most cases, we also "thunk" for that character (to use GW terminology! ).

Whumping is very much about the character and, in some ways, seeing them tested to their limits. It's about enjoying the insight that suffering, whether physical or emotional, gives into that character's strengths and weaknesses and friendships and relationships. It's about seeing that character face adversity and come through stronger. It's about seeing that character be strong even in their weakest moments.

As I said, the comfort element is a large part of it. I love whump stories but I don't like deathfic and I much prefer whump stories to have no permanent repercussions (yes, it's TPTB's magic reset button! ) - I like the character to be able to completely recover from the whump.

I guess in some ways whump may be connected to the mothering instinct.. that desire to care for someone who is injured or in need of help. I would say there is definitely an element of sexual attraction to whumping - not in terms of some weird fetish or finding pain arousing or anything! - but it's really ahrd to quantify/explain.

Whether you call it whumping or hurt/comfort or whatever, it has been around in one form or another for a long time - just think about how many films, books, TV shows etc involve characters (usually attractive characters) being brave and stoic through some kind of injury or trauma.

In summation, I honestly can't explain it and I think it's probably one of those things that you either get or you don't...

Sorry not to be of more help!
                    What she said!

Originally posted by Gate Geek View Post
                    Very nicely said Ali. I agree with it.

Adversity can bring out many qualities in people that sometimes remain hidden or undiscovered. It is these elements that are brought out when a character gets whumped that is the enjoyment for me. Whump is about triumph over tragedy and bonds that are stengthened between friends.

In the end, without the whump, the characterization of a 'hero' is lessened for me. *shrugs*
                    Well said! Whump for me, shows the characters I like being incapacitated and shows the true strength of their resolve to overcome adversity. For example, in 38 Minutes, Sheppard was physically useless; he couldn't move and was in agonising pain. Yet, he had enough character to hold the team together and even find a cure for his predicament. In TDO, he carried on fighting the Wraith, despite his injuries, so he could save, or try to, his team of scientists. This is what I like. I just adore seeing the hero of the show seem vulnerable, and when he overcomes that weakness with strength of character, and in these two instances he uses his brain to help resolve the problem, and in TDO, bless him, he tries to use brawn too... , I just swoon.
                    Fanfic is a large part of whump enjoyment precisely because we don't get the whump we want in the show - in particular we don't often get infirmary scenes and the whole comfort part of the hurt.. hence why we fill in the gaps with fanfic - as evidenced by the amount of tag fics to whumpy episodes likes TDO or Common Ground.

The comfort part of the hurt/comfort thing is important but yes, part of the attraction is the hurt too. And that's why people squee about it on here. Again, it's hard to explain... but it has a lot to do with, as I tried to say above (and I'm sorry this is all so vague, it really is hard to quantify), seeing the character's strengths etc thrown into sharp relief by their reaction to a difficult situation. To use 38 Minutes as an example which can be freely discussed without spoiler tags, that episode, happening early on in the show as it did, went a long way to set out and solidify the team dynamic. Seeing the team's concern for Sheppard's worsening situation helped to portray the building friendships there and seeing Sheppard immobilised and in pain and yet still commanding his team, snapping McKay out of his panic, reminding them or their responsibilities to the marines in the forward section etc told us a lot about his character and made us whumpers admire his strength and his spirit.

The only way I can try and explain to you the appeal of the hurt part of whumping is that when someone you find attractive gets whumped, it makes you feel all protective and want to hug them to bits!

The main thing to remember, of course, is that it is not real and that is part of the attraction. We whumpers would never countenance and certainly not enjoy real-life whumpage. We wouldn't enjoy seeing or reading about real people in pain. As an analogy, on a slightly sensitive topic so therefore in spoilers:
                    Spoiler:
                    A common sexual fantasy is the rape-fantasy. However, the key word is fantasy and enjoying a rape-fantasy does not in any way mean that you want to be raped or enjoy the idea (the real idea) of rape.

Whump is kinda the same... we enjoy things from a fantasy-perspective that we would never enjoy "squeee" over in real life.
                    I love whump ff, and it is great entertainment to read. Just like shippers and slashers fulfill their romantic/emotional aspirations for their chosen couple through fanfic, so do whumpers, but it involves hurt/comfort. For me, there is no sexual kink involved, but I do generally think to enjoy whump I have to find the character attractive. Also, for me, I don't enjoy women being whumped, only men. So I guess there's an element of finding the character sexually appealing, but whump itself is not sexually titillating for me.
                    However, the whumping on screen is what I enjoy most. Why? Basically, I have to agree with Ali, and GG. It's about the characterization and mothering instinct. I have absolutely no wish to ever hurt anyone in real life, hubby can breathe a sigh of relief, it's just fiction. I've always liked it, though I always have called it hurt/comfort. Whumping seems to be particular to the 'Gate fandom. Also, I'm very interested in medical matters, so when Shep is in Carson's infirmary, and there's medical jargon etc..well, I just love it!
                    sigpic

Comment

Very well said!!! And actually, as the Shep whumpers know, our slogan is "Whump Shep, not self!"

I think the most important thing is the character development coming with it (I think somebody mentioned that already)... You learn so much about a character when he is hurt and has to let his guard down.. They become vulnerable and you see them deal with it which tells you a lot about their character...
                      *Sig by the wonderful and talented Pegasus_SGA*

Comment

Originally posted by caty View Post
                        Very well said!!! And actually, as the Shep whumpers know, our slogan is "Whump Shep, not self!"

I think the most important thing is the character development coming with it (I think somebody mentioned that already)... You learn so much about a character when he is hurt and has to let his guard down.. They become vulnerable and you see them deal with it which tells you a lot about their character...
                        I agree with everything that has been said about whump and why we love it- I dont think that I can add anything!

But yes real whump is dreadful and would never give me any enjoyment at all!

But I am a Shep whump addict - I just love to see him vulnerable. It just makes me want to hug him and look after him ( which I am sure he would be delighted about ). It is hurt/comfort, which is totally harmless because in the hurt part nobody actually gets hurt and the comfort part (even if not on screen)comes from within me and the emotions that it stirs up.

Comment

What is whumping?

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                            What is whumping?
                            I would like to know that too
                            sigpic

Comment

THanks to ALI for her definition of whump in the Shep whump thread.... (hoope you don't mind I posted this hon!)

Whump (vt.) - To take pleasure from the pain and suffering, mental and/or physical, and subsquent comforting of a fictional character or characters. To find the hurt and subsequent comfort of a fictional character attractive."

"Whump (n.), Whumpage (n.) - The act or occurance of whumping. The concept of whumping."

"Whumpy (adj. adv.) - Having to do with whump. Describing of an object or situation that could be considered to contain whumpage."
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X