Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ur-best-shots/

October 15, 2008 - Part 1

Photo: Stunt Coordinator James “Bam Bam” Bamford

Today, I turn this blog over to the toughest guy on Stargate: Atlantis. No, no John Sheppard? Puleeeze. I’m talking about the real deal, the fearless one, the show’s oft-bruised and bruising Stunt Coordinator: James “Bam Bam” Bamford who has kindly taken time off from being shot, stabbed, kicked, punched, thrown, blown up, and set on fire to come by and answer your questions. On to his Q&A…

Ytimyona writes: “Questions for Bam Bam:
    What was the hardest stunt you’ve managed to pull off?

JB-I have done a double highfall into an airbag with two jumpers, myself and another stuntman.

Are there any actors who do their own stunts?

JB-Many actors do a lot of there own stunts, but never all.

What sort of stunt is your favorite?”

JB-I have many favorites, but a well thought out, realistic fight sequence is up there with them for sure.

Linda Gagne writes: “Have you ever gotten hurt on a stunt? If so, how bad and which episode?”

JB-I have not been hurt during any stunt on SG1 or Atlantis, but I did get burned pretty badly on the last commercial promo shoot we did getting lit on fire. The wind came up unexpectedly and kept the flame in my face.

Elyse writes: “1) Have any stunts gone wrong (hopefully not horribly)? And if so, what has occurred?

JB-If anything has gone wrong, I have just rolled with the punches and adapted a new strategy…..nothing has gone REALLY wrong. Wink.

2) What was the most complicated stunt you can remembering having to set up (for either SG1 or SGA)?

JB-The Sheppard vs. Sheppard fight including all the wire gags, for “Doppleganger”

3) Do you think you’ll be going over to SGU?”

JB-I can never tell for sure, but a little bird has indicated to me that I will be darkening the halls during the prep and shooting of the upcoming excitement of “Universe”.

Sari writes: “How did you get into doing stunt work? Was it something you always wanted to do, or did you discover it later on?

JB-I saw the “Six Million Dollar Man” as a young boy and my father told me he jumped high because of a stuntman….naturally I wanted to jump as high as Lee Majors so……I was approached to be the martial arts double for Michael Dudikoff for a series, “Cobra”…the rest is history!

What kind of martial arts training have you had?

JB-Shotokan and Shorin-Ji Kenpo Karate with Muay Thai, Boxing, and Kickboxing. Also Balintiwak Eskrima.

What’s your favorite fight/stunt sequence that you’ve done on Atlantis?

JB-Probably the sword fight in “Broken Ties” or the knife fight in “The Eye”….or….

Enzo Aquarius writes: “Have you ever been serious hurt while doing your work (sorry, had to ask ), and, if so, what happened?”

JB-If you count “seriously” as tearing my lat and getting my head split open……but….no broken bones(a couple of ribs, yes) or life threatening injuries.

Star writes: “1.What is the most complex stunt you had to coordinate for the show?

JB-I think I have answered this already?

2.Have you ever had a stunt go terribly wrong?”

JB-I think I have answered this one already as well…..no?

AndreaFWhites writes: “In “Conversion”, it looks like someone from the stunt team did most of the sparring with Rachel besides Joe, who was that and did Rachel do all of her scenes?”

JB-I used two stunt doubles for that scene as well as both actors….Jeff Robinson as Sheppard, and Lani Gelera for Teyla.

Amel writes: “quel acteur a été le plus difficile ?* dirigé pour les cascades?
    vous arrive t-il de changer ?* la dernière minute une chorégraphie?
    quel est ton dessert préfèré? moi, c’est une glace aux cookies….”

JB-Hmmm……ask me that one in person, at a convention. I promise to answer in full, and in French.

And Then There’s Cake writes: “As martial artists, my husband and I pay particular attention to fight sequences and how well they are choreographed and executed. Yours are surperb! How did you manage to get that “big screen” quality and feel into your scenes? (’Cause let’s face it, most TV fight sequences are crap.) Is it a difference in how you stage them or film them?”

JB-First of all, thank you very much for the compliment. The differences are….rehearsal time, and timing, period. I require my actors and stunt people to rehearse quite a bit more than the usual series. In rehearsal, I demand the timing to be delivered so as to eliminate any ugly pauses or indications of a choreographed battle.

Mondschaf writes: “To Bam Bam: Would you like to talk about some funny incidents that occured while performing stunts? Or if somehing just wouldn’t work the way intended? I’d love to read.”

JB-Well then….while performing a “Hong Kong” hand pull, I was hurled into a tree with a wire on “Dungeon Siege”. Upon impact with the tree, my pants split wide open…..and….well….I was not wearing any underwear…..ok?

Manda writes: “first of all I want to say that I love your work with Stargate, it’s been fantastic. I think my favorite fight sequences have been the ones between Ford and Ronon in “Runner” and Ronon and Tyre in “Broken Ties”. Which fight sequence(s) was your favorite to work on?”

JB-Thank you for you interest!! I have answered a same minded question already but I tend to have the same taste as you.

Chevron7 writes: “1. Who would win in an arm wrestling contest, you or Dan Shea?

JB-Would you really like to know? I’m not a wrestler by choice, but…well….that one would have to happen to answer you completely.

2. How much fun was “the big jump” in Outcast? Was that the biggest jump you’ve done?

JB-That jump was mucho fun of course!! Alas, it’s not the biggest jump I’ve done to date, sorry.

3. Were you really a stunt double for David Duchovny on The X-Files? If so, are there any memorable stunts I should watch out for (I’ve got all of the DVDs)?

JB-Yes, I was his double from season 2 until the end of season 5…..He told me to tell you all that he does all his own stunts….but check out the RV drag in “Blood”.

4. Are there any massive fight scenes coming up in the rest of Season 5? I’m thinking something along the lines of Mitchell/Marrick in AoT (which was brilliant!), perhaps with a certain Lieutenant-Colonel and an elusive Wraith.

p.s. please come to Australia, we have sharks. LOL!”

JB-I love sharks, and Australia….wow!!! Yes there are more great fights to come…..”Prodigal” will give you a few, in fact!!!

Perragrin writes: “Is there a stunt you just wouldn’t do for love, nor money.. no matter how much they paid you?”

JB-Let’s see……..no.

Scary writes: “How did you get the name BAM BAM does it have anything to do with the Flintstones and Barney’s son? ; )

JB-My last name is BAMford. Yes, it’s that simple.

I saw on the ARK OF TRUTH Credits that you were the fight coordinator and Dan Shea was the stunt coordinator? Why the difference? Aren’t fights consider stunts? Are you in charge of both on SGA?

Thanks for all your hard work. : )”

JB-Fights are considered stunts, of course. Some stunt coordinators are not fight choreographers so they require another individual to come in and perform that particular task for them. In the case of the last couple of seasons of SG1, I served as the fight choreographer whenever there was a larger scale fight sequence to handle. I would sometimes bring in an assistant as well when I was super busy on Atlantis at the same time.

Caitylanna writes: “I have a few questions for Bam Bam - how did you get started in stunts? Which of the actors pick up the choreography for the stunts (i.e. fighting) the fastest and how long do you usually practice before you have the actors at full speed?”

JB-I got into stunts through the martial arts….I was chosen to be a martial arts double for and actor. I usually attempt to get at least 4 hours of rehearsal time with the actors prior to filming a fight sequence. Rachel and Jason are definitely the two top memories when it comes to choreography.

Cat1 writes: “Which is your personal favourite type of stunt to set up or to perform, and are there any kinds of stunts you enjoy less?”

JB-Intricate fight sequences, or driving sequences, or full body burns, or highfalls….or….I love them all!! I don’t enjoy being overly cold…so….that’s all.

DasNdanger writes: “1. Which actor’s (male/female) growth and development in handling their own physical performances (stunts, fighting, etc) was most personally satisfying to see over the course of SGA’s run?

JB-Well…..Rachel came from no fight experience to amazing on screen ability….so did Jason, for that matter…..so…..well…..they both ROCK!!!

2. Tackling stunt work in full Wraith make-up and attire - how hard is it?

JB-Not hard at all actually. The make-up is very comfortable and easy to work with.

3. What one single moment in SGA are you most proud to have been a part of, and why?”

JB-Seasons 1,2,3,4, & 5….because I was there!!!

Ellie writes: “Bam Bam, thank you for the most unusual, varied and efficient fighting techniques I have seen in tv! It’s all a visual feast and a moving (in every sense of the word!) poem.

JB-You are welcome.

1/ Have you considered starting your own fighting school / martial art training school? (Not just for actors but also for members of the public wanting to learn martial arts)

JB-Been there with my teacher….I don’t have time to tackle a school.

2/ Have you ever considered using chen tai chi defensive moves? They are not as flashy as other martial arts moves but incredibly effective for small people to use against big attackers.

JB-I use anything that suits the personality of the character I am choreographing for….so….yes….if it looks good!!

Thanks Bam Bam! May you have a long and successful career in beating up people!”
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ur-best-shots/

October 15, 2008 - Part 2

Tim the Technician writes: “1) Were you disappointed that the Weir stunt at the end of ‘First Strike’ didn’t work as planned?

JB-I was not disappointed at all. There was a safety call made, and I stand by it %100. It still ended up looking great on film, which is the point in the end.

2) Since you’re Bam Bam, can we assume that there is a ‘Pebbles’ out there too?

JB-Um….ya.

3) Were you scared about the jump you had to do for ‘Outcast’?

JB-No.

Fantastic work with all of the stunts and fight scenes that you’ve been a part of for both SG:1 and SG:A. Thanks!”

JB-Thank you for watching!!

Firefly827347 writes: “Are you ever coming back to Gateworld?

JB-Yes….I’m just very busy working on other things at the moment…I love Gateworld!!

And do you have any movies lined up for stunt work after Watchmen?”

JB-I am currently working on a movie entitled,”RAMPAGE” as well as a day or so’s work on “2012”.

MyNameIsNada writes: “Obviously there are some actors who can do their own stunt work and other who can’t. Are there set limits and guidelines you need to follow in terms of how much of a stunt an actor is allowed to do? Have you ever been told not to allow an actor to do a certain stunt? Finally, just a random question here, if somebody was interested in becoming a stuntperson, what skill would you say is most important to master? Thanks!”

JB-Every actor is different and it is my job to get to know each and every actor I work with so I can determine what they are capable of. A stunt person is the ultimate crosstrainer, so there is not one skill you would require, but over 100.

Patricia Lee writes: “Alex Levine wrote in this week’s SGA blog about Tracker:

“As for the specific stunts, when you’re watching the show keep in mind the following: When Ronon tackles Kiryk off a cliff, there are no stunt guys or visual effects involved. Both actors actually go flying off the cliff and land on some pads out of frame. Also, Will told me that Jason actually wanted to be the stunt guy for the spiked log gag (you can’t miss it). Of course he wasn’t allowed, because if Jason gets injured, we have to stop shooting. But apparently he kept arguing with Will about it and Will had to say no a hundred times. Will also mentioned that they had a lot of laughs shooting the decapitation scene. I imagine you viewers won’t find it so funny, but shooting it was kind of silly.”

1- Could you please elaborate on what the silliness was about?

JB-That would be the “dropping of the head” into frame on every take. It made us all crack up.

2- Also, will we get to see a behind the scene extras of you and your team on the Season 5 DVD’s? If not, is there still time to ask Ivon if he would film one? Please! And thank you!

JB-Yes, there will be tons, and tons of behind the scenes footage for you all to check out on season 5….Ivon was always there, at the ready.

3- Did you go to Las Vegas? If so, what was a memorable moment in shooting there that you can share!

JB- Yes…..VIVA LAS VEGAS!!! Um….I can’t tell you the details other than I am extremely proud of this episode….extremely!!!

4- Finally, do you know yet if you will be continuing as stunt coordinator for the SGA movie? And will you be at the Creation Con in Vancouver in April 2009.

JB-I was told about a movie….we will see what happens with that….I may be at Creation, but I don’t know for sure yet.

Thanks for a wonderful 5 year run and keep us up to date on GW as to your next projects so we can look for you in the credits and actions scenes. Best Wishes!”

Trish writes: “ Hey Bam Bam! Thanks for coming on Joe’s blog to chat with us! You are the BEST fight choreographer on television! Period! And the best for the movies, too. Your fight scenes are made for the big screen.

JB-Wow! Thanks!!!

Here are my questions—

1) Please say you will be on American Gladiators in the future. My husband and I would love to watch you beat all those steroid-maniacs. If they won’t have you on the show I’m sure it’s because you’d make them all look bad. You’d be the reason to watch, though.

JB-I ran into a very nice MGM exec. In Vegas, and he assured me that he is trying to get me on there still. It may not be fair, since “TOA” is a good friend of mine…..or would it?

2) What did you want to be when you grew up? I’m thinking a librarian. Ok… Just kidding! But seriously, if you couldn’t be a super-amazing-uber stunt/fight choreography, would WOULD you be?

JB-I love what I do and would do anything else.

3) You once told me that the Jaffa costumes were the hardest to wear. Since then I’ve been wondering why. I think you said, “Oh they are awful! I hate them!” It’s not an exact quote. It’s basically what I remember. Now I’m wanting to know… are they hot? Heavy? Pinchy? All of the above? Have you worn something worse since?

JB- Heavy, hot, pinchy, awkward, slow, ….all of the above and more…yes….my least favorite wardrobe of all time to fight or run in.

4) How hard would it be to teach a wimp like me to do a fight scene? I have a minor in dance but I don’t believe fighting is like a dance. Jason Mamoa says it is like a violent, angry, dance. It seems way more complicated and dangerous than that to me. Especially if you gave me a sword or some other weapon. I think I’d just beam everyone in the room with it.

JB-Rachel had only a dance background when I began to teach her and look how she did?

5) Which brings me to my last question. Have you ever had someone who could not learn to do the fight scenes? I only say this because I’m sure I would not be able to do it. It seems MOST people would lack the skill to do a great fight scene. Am I right?”

JB-I have been able to transform some of the most unlikely people into killers on screen……but…..not everybody is cut out for it, that is correct. It just makes my job easier, and more enjoyable if the individual(s) I am teaching are capable, and not having six fingers and three hands.

JB-THANK YOU ALL FOR A FANTASTIC, MIND BLOWING 5 SEASONS OF GREATNESS!!!!
      sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-get-underway/

October 16, 2008

Thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes. In addition to all of your much-appreciated posts, my inbox was full of e-cards and personal notes, and my voice-mail held some truly memorable messages. My favorite was from fellow Exec Producer and writer Carl Binder who I kind of raked over the coals last week as he prepared to head back to California for a month, strongly suggesting his presumed trip home was just a clever ploy to make me think he was leaving so that he could surprise me on my birthday. Well, this morning, I received the following voicemail message from him:

“Hey, Joe it’s Carl calling. I’m, uh, here at the office wondering where you are. I just wanted to wish you happy birthday and so I thought I’d come in and surprise you but you’re not here. So, um, I guess I’ll just head back to the airport and fly back home. Anyway, hope you’re having a great day. See ya. Bye.”

As a matter of fact, I am having a good day. The dogs, perhaps sensing its significance, didn’t wake me up at 8:00 a.m. sharp and actually allowed me to sleep in until 9:15 a.m. I worked out, had my shake, worked a little on my super, secret project (I have three full pages that I’ll no doubt rewrite ad nauseum between now and then), enjoyed a leisurely dim sum, gave some thought to the SGA movie and the horror movie pitch (I need a title!) and read. Tonight, Fondy and I are headed to (where else?) Fuel for an extra special birthday dinner.

Oh, for those of you interested (which, I assume, is all of you), on this day in history:

1311: Council of Vienne (15th ecumenical council) opens. It eventually withdraws papal support from the Knights Templar, the mime guilds, and a local hosiery wholesaler notorious for its ill-fitting tights.

1427: George-Louis Hevin invents the library fine.

1513: Explorer Ookie Bumgarden, correctly assuming no one will ever name anything after him, officially changes his name Ferdinand Magellan

1741: Ludovico Morretti invents the bicycle, parks it in a sketchy neighborhood, and has it stolen. Fifty years later, some guy in France invents the bicycle. He also invents the bike lock, thereby securing his place in history.

1793: Marie Antoinette beheaded in France.

1824: First murder on record in which a pince nez is used as a murder weapon.
        1861: Confederacy starts selling postage stamps. Their initial line includes the very popular Young and Old Alexander Stephens collector stamps.
        1867: Alaska adopts the Gregorian calendar. Before then, Alaskans would have to check with their southern neighbors to find out what day it was.

1869: Hotel in Boston becomes the first to have indoor plumbing.
        1985: Intel introduces the 16 MHz 80386 processor.

1992: After decades of hard work in self-imposed isolation, industrious members of a Luddite colony invent liquid paper, the Frisbee, and Velcro, only to discover they’ve already been invented.

2008: Madonna and Guy Ritchie announce their divorce. I ask you: If someone like Madonna can’t make her marriage work, what hope is there for any of us?

I’ve always been fascinated by the different ways the same holidays are observed all over the world. So, out of curiosity, how are those of you in Europe, Australia, and South America celebrating my birthday? Let me know.

Well, that’s it. I’m off to get ready for dinner. Pictures tomorrow and, if you’re nice, some of the behind-the-scenes snaps I’ve been sitting on and saving for a special occasion.
        sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...and-reminders/

October 17, 2008

Photos: Dinner

Well, as predicted, my birthday dinner at Fuel was pretty incredible. Apparently, Chef Belcham and his crew were working on the special event meal preparation all day and, in the end, all of their hard work paid off. Well, at least it did for Fondy and I who enjoyed a fantastic nine-course dinner.

**snip**

For dessert, two chocolate domes - Fondy’s, seemingly made to order, served with pain perdu and maple syrup while mine was served with pistachio ice cream and chocolate soil.

Thanks to Rob, Tom, and the rest of the gang at Fuel for a truly memorable birthday dinner.

And also thanks to Narelle who commemorated my special day with a blog post of her own titled “Joseph Mallozzi - This Is Your Blog’s Life” that traces this blog from its humble beginnings to its present high-flying success:

http://narellefromaus.blogspot.com/2...blog-life.html

To those of you wondering what the hell Cookie Monster is doing responding to my spam emails, go here for a brief explanation, and many more missives from the likes of Cookie Monster, arch-villain Baron Destructo, and the opportunistic Aloysius P. Hazzencockle:

http://spambait.wordpress.com/category/introduction/

Finally, thanks to everyone who posted birthday wishes. I’ll be playing catch-up with the mailbag in the coming days. And working on the outline for the SGA movie (after a discussion with Paul today), continuing work on my super, secret project (now four whole pages and counting), booking my upcoming trips (L.A., Vegas, and Tokyo), coming up with a title for that horror pitch (still nothing), and getting started on the upcoming book of the month club selections: The Traveler (John Twelve Hawks), Acacia (David Anthony Durham), and Necroscope (Brian Lumley).Speaking of which - hope you’ve all started reading!
          sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...yo-its-a-date/

October 18, 2008

Well, after much hemming, some heeing, and a touch of hawing, I am finally Tokyo-bound. Today, I booked my flight and hotel for my 11-day culinary adventure in the Far East. Actually, not as far east as I remember it. The direct flight from Vancouver will take a little under ten hours. For some reason, I remember it being longer. Of course, going on past experience, while the lengthy flight is nothing compared to the unbearable 90 minute drive from Narita Airport to downtown Tokyo. Fortunately, the accommodations look very promising. I’ll be staying at the brand new Peninsula Hotel in Chiyoda-ku, within walking distance of the Imperial Palace, Hibiya Park, and, more importantly, the Ginza district with its eclectic shopping, high-end restaurants, and department store basements filled with every dessert imaginable (Chestnut cream pastries never seem to go out of style in Japan. And I, for one, am grateful.). Now, it’s just a matter of hitting my Michelin guide, doing my homework, and narrowing the selection of restaurants choices down to 40ish (lunches and dinners). Oh, and I suppose I should also be considering some non-culinary activities like visiting the Harujuku district, going on a few tours, and, of course, getting lost in unknown neighborhood. I have a feeling this trip will be incredibly exciting. Or very, very sad. Well, only time will tell - and you’ll all be the first to read about it because I’ve made sure my room has wireless internet access.

As part of the prep for the upcoming trip, I’ve switched gears in my language training, shelving the Mandarin and dusting off the Japanese: Watashi no ringo wa sabishii desu = My apple is sadL *, Ano hito ga no kami o wasurema****a = That guy forgot his hair, Takusan sukotchi of nomima****a = I drank a lot of scotch. And so on. I picked up some travel guides that will hopefully direct me to some of the can’t-miss-sights Tokyo has to offer like (choosing at random from the handy guide sitting beside my laptop): the Japanese Sword Museum, the Sumo Museum, the Meguro Parasitological Museum. And HMV. In addition, I padded my already robust reading pile with three titles from the horror section - Sarah Langan’s The Keeper, Justin Evans’ A Good and Happy Child, and Joe Hill’s 20th Century Ghosts - in the event I can find the time during the twenty-three hours of travel time there and back.

Oh, today I also picked up my new traveling cologne. Given that scent is one of the most powerful memory triggers, I always make it a point to associate a particular scent with a particular trip or facet of my life. The smell of Tuscany will always remind me of my home life, Terre d’Hermes will take me back to Hong Kong, while Burberry will make me queasy with recollections of my post-snake soup malaise suffered in Shinjuku. For the upcoming solo journey, it’ll be John Varvatos’ Vintage. Mmmm. Tokyorific!

Carl put out a preliminary beat sheet for the next SG-1 movie and will, no doubt, be expecting notes in the coming days. I, meanwhile, have completed yet another pass on the preliminary beat sheet for the SGA movie that I’ll be sending Paul's way on Monday. Hell, I may as well hand-deliver it as it looks like we’ll be heading in anyway to check out some visual effects, watch a mix, and pick up my birthday presents.

Well, I’m off to head downstairs and continue watching season 1 of The Tudors. I honestly didn’t expect to like it, but I do. Fondy, meanwhile, hasn’t been this invested in a show since Six Feet Under. Other than that, we’ve whittled our appointment television to a mere handful of series: Boston Legal, House, 30 Rock, Survivor, The Amazing Race, Grey’s Anatomy for her, and The Office for me. Also, watched the first two episodes of Life on Mars and while Fondy has abandoned ship, I’m still on board and enjoying the fish out of water developments.
            sigpic

Comment

Nicely spotted Jumper! Nice to hear that some slow but sure progress is being made on the Stargate SG-1 and Stargate: Atlantis movies!

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD, THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
              K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...y-costco-rant/

October 19, 2008

As far as boneheaded decisions go, it ranked right up there. I honestly don’t know what I was thinking. I mean, seriously, the rules aren‘t exactly set in stone but it‘s common sense. Don’t climb into the zoo’s lion exhibit. Don’t hang candles off a real Christmas tree. And, for Godsake, don’t agree to accompany your wife to the local Costco!

We were in the car, on our way home from a late lunch when Fondy asked: “Did you bring your book?”. She wasn’t asking out of passing interest of course. “Did you bring your book?” actually means “Do you have something to occupy your time so that I can hijack you for an hour or two while I check out some stores that will no doubt bore you to tears?”. In fact, I did have my book with me (Conversational Japanese in 7 Days) and so, agreed to tag along. In all fairness, I assumed we’d be heading to some department store where she could ogle a Sub-Zero, or to a plant nursery where she could seek to educate me on the reproductive patterns of the philodendron. Instead, we went to Costco.

Now, I know you’re probably wondering “Joe, why do you hate Costco?”. Well, I’m glad you asked. Let me break it down for you:

1. The Parking: It’s like playing a live action video game as you slowly roll up and down the various aisles, desperately on the lookout for the thrilling sight of someone’s back lights, the telltale sign that a spot is about to free up. Since moving to Vancouver, Fondy has adopted the strategy of actually zeroing in on shoppers leaving the store and creeping along behind them, following them back to their car like some crazed stalker. If you’re lucky, they’ll lead you right to their parking spot, unload their groceries, and be on their way. But usually, you won’t be lucky. More often than not, the people you’ll be following will be octogenarians who’ll shuffle along at a snail’s pace, occasionally stopping to double-check their bill or adjust their pants before finally arriving at their destination - which, it will turn out, is not where they parked. At which point they’ll look around, gather their bearings, and cut through the parked cars to the next aisle where some other driver will luck out and get their spot. Otherwise, you end up with one of those leisurely *******s. You know the kind I’m talking about. Male. 25-45. Always takes his sweet time unloading his groceries and carefully arranging them in the trunk before getting in this car and spending the next ten minutes perusing the various radio stations for just the right “back out” tune. Today, however, was a first. The guy we were waiting for actually pulled out his cell phone and started checking his text messages. I was about to get out of the car to help him find the number for Emergency Services when a spot suddenly opened up in front of us. Fondy gunned the engine and we finally parked.

2. The Customers: “Come on, Luanne! We can take a shower when we get back! Get the kids in the car! We’re going to Costco for the free sample lunch!” Next to being subjected to noisy chewers, nothing annoys me more than the shambling masses who spend the greater part of their visit lining up at the various complimentary snack kiosks, sampling everything from low-sodium diet crackers to mesquite-flavored pimentos. What I find particularly irritating about these serial snackers is the attitude with which they move through the various queues, snatching up the sardines on toast or yogurt shots, knocking them back, and then moving on with nary a look, much less a thank you, for the individual manning the stand.

3. The Customers: Get out of the ****ing way!!! The aisles are crowded enough as they are without having some moron park their cart in the middle of them while they saunter down to check the pricing on that industrial size mayo. Or stop their cart alongside another stopped cart rather than advance the few steps that would free up some room for anyone to get around them. When I’m presented with cases like these, it’s “Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!” Either move or be moved. It’s really the only high point o my visit.

4. Did I mention The Customers?: Okay, granted, the place aint exactly Neiman Marcus but still, would it really kill the clientele to maintain even the basest levels of personal hygiene? Encounter any of them downtown and you’d either assume they a) were homeless and/or b) had just been rolled after sleeping off a three-day bender. Given the choice, I’m sure that fully half of them wouldn’t even bother to wear pants if they didn’t have to.

5. The Merchandise: Come on. Do you really need a jar of pickles that big? Or all that canned pasta? I’m going to decide for you. No. No, you don’t. Unless you’re stocking your bomb shelter. Then, by all means.

6. Getting Out: Good luck!

Hmmm. It seems I was a little optimistic when I said I needed to narrow my Tokyo restaurant list down to 40 selections. I’ll only be in town 11 days and even if I was to try a new place for each breakfast, lunch, and dinner, that would make for a grand total of 33 restaurants. UNLESS…I had breakfast, an early lunch (11:00 ish), followed by a late lunch (2:00ish), an early dinner (5:00 ish), and a late dinner (8:00 ish), then I could cram in a whopping 55 restaurants! Or die trying.

Hey, one week to go before discussion begins on John Twelve Hawks’ The Traveler. Finish up because the enigmatic JXIIH(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Twelve_Hawks) will be dropping by to answer our questions.
                sigpic

Comment

So is Carl Binder actually writing the third movie then or is he just working on it with Brad Wright?

Comment

I got the impression Carl was working on it with Brad.
                    sigpic
                    Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                      So is Carl Binder actually writing the third movie then or is he just working on it with Brad Wright?
                      there are both working on it
                      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                        As both Joe M. and Brad have mentioned in the past, the Stargate scripts are traditionally a group effort. (It takes a village to raise a Stargate... )

In this case, 'preliminary beat sheet,' is typically assigned to the writer who writes the final version. 'Beats' are the high points in a script.

That is, of course, just my interpretation of what was written by Joe.

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                        SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                        Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by morjana View Post
                          As both Joe M. and Brad have mentioned in the past, the Stargate scripts are traditionally a group effort. (It takes a village to raise a Stargate... )

In this case, 'preliminary beat sheet,' is typically assigned to the writer who writes the final version. 'Beats' are the high points in a script.

That is, of course, just my interpretation of what was written by Joe.

I knew the episodes scripts were, but I didn't really think the movie ones were...

Comment

Features are only typically written by one or two people. The writers room for a television show is far more collaborative than a feature film.
                            sigpic
                            Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                              Features are only typically written by one or two people. The writers room for a television show is far more collaborative than a feature film.
                              But this is a feature based on such a atelevision show, it would be slightly ridiculous to shut people out...
                              Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                              Yes, I am!
                              sigpic
                              Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                              Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                              Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                                But this is a feature based on such a atelevision show, it would be slightly ridiculous to shut people out...

flygirl writes: “Will you have an active role in the 3rd SG-1 movie and/or the first SGA movie?? “

Answer: Paul and I will be writing and producing the first Atlantis movie. We will probably be asked to read and provide notes on the SG-1 film script as was the case with both Ark of Truth and Continuum.
                                http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...s-and-mailbag/
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X