Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    that's one reason i like my old off air tv...sure, it sucks to have 5 channels, but i can tape as many as i have vcr's for adn watch ALL that i want, not just what the networks thing i SHOULD be watching
    The failure of digital manufacturers and broadcasters to maintain the multi-tuner set-up we all used to enjoy from analogue = seriously backwards step
    scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser View Post
      I was beginning to wonder if my tastes had changed or just about everything on TV sucked.
      We must have heard or read the same report. Even one of the multitudinous Law and Orders (Criminal Intent, I think) will have it's first run on USA instead of NBC because it gets better rating there.
      I think alot has to do with timing. If there is a show that is half way decent another good show will be placed in opposition to it (Heroes and 24) and other hours nothing, absolutely nothing. (Another pet peeve is when they move a shows time slot so many times you just give up looking for it - of course if it really good I'll look!)
      No, TV quality is sliding down a hill. We have tacky reality shows everywhere becuase they're cheaper to make. ONe-hour dramas cost a LOT to make, and with advertising revenue going down, we'll probably see less of them.

Yes, the constant moving of shows is maddening. My week is all screwed up now becuase they played a L&O on Monday night (last night) and they're always on tuesday so now I think it's Wednesday and when Thursday comes I'll think it's Friday and then when Friday comes I'll realize it's not the weekend and it will be a downright bummer. Damn TV programmers...

Comment

If it's any consolation, it's an international trend. The programming in Australia of late is dreadful, and there's an ever increasing amount of reality tv shows. We can live in hope that they'll connect the dive in ratings to the increase of reality tv and lack of innovative programming.
        sigpic
        My LJ & Fics * Proud Member of W.A.S.P. * Pay It Forward

Comment

they don't care if it's backwards. all they want is to control what we watch, when we watch it, and thus make surethat we DO watch it in its entirity so they can get as much money as possible.

One reason we have so much reality shows??? they're cheap. theyr'e easy, and people flock to them, so it's a win/win for the networks

the networks don't care if the show are quality, only that theymake money. and by rigging it so tha you can only watch one show at a time, they can get all the ratings for themselves, allowing them to charge more and make MORE money

network execs are no different than your average human, we're all greedy and lazy at our core
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

they don't care if it's backwards. all they want is to control what we watch, when we watch it, and thus make surethat we DO watch it in its entirity so they can get as much money as possible.

One reason we have so much reality shows??? they're cheap. theyr'e easy, and people flock to them, so it's a win/win for the networks

the networks don't care if the show are quality, only that theymake money. and by rigging it so tha you can only watch one show at a time, they can get all the ratings for themselves, allowing them to charge more and make MORE money

network execs are no different than your average human, we're all greedy and lazy at our core
            Believe me, if network execs could get away with a tv series in which cute tiny little animals were flushed down a toilet, they'd do it. As long as is drew in an audience and created ad revenue, that's all that counts.

The thing is that the networks are slow to realize (obviously) that the internet is taking a bit chunk out of their audience. People can Tivo stuff, go on vacation and not worry anymore. The only way they could really make Tivo ratings work is if they lengthened the time period to say one week after airing, and had knowledge of when you played back the show and if you skipped ads. Then you get into that nasty little area of privacy, etc. as what if you all you tivo is the Playboy channel? Then people squawk 'invasion of privacy!' etc.

But that still doesn't cover the fact that too many shows have crappy writing, ripped off plots, no plots, etc.

Comment

That's the reason I won't get digital or HD TV, I want to be able to watch one show while TAPING (yes I still use VCR's) another show. So the times when there is only dreck on TV, I have something else to watch. Remember the days when people couldn't figure out how you could watch one show while taping another....yes those were the days my friend
              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

that's one reason i love analog cable.

i can tape 2-3 shows at once...which coms in handy since the broadcast networks are now deliberately programming hot shows against each other

why can't they see that they are just hurting themselves? if the spread the 'good stuff' out more, they'd end up iwth more ratings in the long run, thus more money

sigpic

Comment

that's one reason i love analog cable.

i can tape 2-3 shows at once...which coms in handy since the broadcast networks are now deliberately programming hot shows against each other

why can't they see that they are just hurting themselves? if the spread the 'good stuff' out more, they'd end up iwth more ratings in the long run, thus more money
                  And in 2010, analog tv goes bye-bye! Yes, you'll have to BUY a converter if you want to use your rabbit ears. Pretty stupid, actually.

But no, the networks insist on putting all the good stuff against each other, which is why I have two tvs (ancient rabbit ear ones that fortunately can connect to cable) for nights like thursday, when I want to watch CSI and Supernatural... and in ye olden days you could always count on repeats. Not anymore, especially with SGA. SG1 is repeated all over the place but you wait forever for specific SGA repeats. Don't know why.

Comment

A bit off-topic, but what's this about digital cable only being able to be tuned to one channel at once? We have analog now, but apparently Comcast has an offer now to go to digital for only $1 more a month, and we were considering it. But I'd definitely like this to be an informed decision!
                    "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
                    My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

Originally posted by xfkirsten View Post
                      A bit off-topic, but what's this about digital cable only being able to be tuned to one channel at once? We have analog now, but apparently Comcast has an offer now to go to digital for only $1 more a month, and we were considering it. But I'd definitely like this to be an informed decision!
                      Well, you really have no choice, as by either next year, or 2010, one of those years, analogue will be discontinued.
                      http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

you receive digital cable through a specific receiver, which will only decode 1-2 channels at a time...now if it's analog cable, you can theoretically hook up a dozen vcr's and tape a dozen different channels...although there is a signal strength fade

as to digital, there will be broadcast digital. off the air. so you can watch as many digital channels as you have receivers for...whereas digital cable will charge you more for each and every decoder you get

with this switch to digital, it's basically setting things up so htat you are limited as to what you can watch at every point in time...and since you use the company's decoders, it stores and can transmit back what you watch when

basically, with digital, tv viewing will no longer be private. the technology is there to keep track and monitor every single thing you watch

sigpic

Comment

Does that apply to having multiple TVs in the same house, then? We have four TVs in our house, and there are many instances in which all four TVs are running at once. Does that mean that we'd all have to be watching the same channel?
                          "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
                          My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

May 15

Photos: The Ancient chair all lit up, Atlantis consoles all lit up, Episode 412 "Spoils of War" all lit up, and a Wraithed victim, that's right, all lit up. EDIT: Joe's added some lit up food.

Write-Up: Road Tasted begets what Joe tasted, and a warning to all those who food-shop when hungry: do not.

Questions:

Alipeeps writes: “Don't the wraith ever get bored of the same old hairstyle?”

Answer: Check out the new do the Reunion wraith is sporting. He reminds me of my grandmother in a cute/terrifying sort of way.

Katherine writes: “Are you approached to do the commentaries or do you ask to do specific ones?”

Answer: The writers are approached to the commentaries. And I will only provide commentary on episodes that Paul and I have written.

Maiz writes: “In season four will we see any of Ronon and Teyla on Earth? Who would you say is the biggest pain in the a$$ out of the entire cast? And, Is there any chance you'll bring Weir back in future seasons?”

Answers: Yup. Er…no comment. There’s always a possibility.

Joshua Meyers writes: “What was the purpose of going to the artic with the actors.
                            Was it just to shoot a specific amount of scenes that needed the surrounding ice?”

Answer: Yup. We shot on location.

ScifiFan writes: “I was just wondering, is there a reason you haven't answered my last two questions? Is it because of what I asked or because you had too many other letters to answer?”

Answer: It could be. Or it could be because I found out about that thing you did that you thought no one would ever find out about. But I did!

Anonymous #1 writes: “ a) since you're now a show runner, does that mean that you're like a dictator and nix all the episodes you hate? Or do things run a bit more democratically? b) what would you say is THE WORST episode of either of the gates?”

Answer: A) Stargate has always been a benevolent democracy. To a certain point. B) In my humble opinion, the episodes from each show I disliked the most were Emancipation (SG-1) and Irresponsible (Atlantis).

Anonymous #2 writes: “I know Christopher Judge has written an episode, as well as other actors on the show. Do actors come to you, or do you go to actors? And how do you give them critizism without hurting thier feelings?”

Answer: If the actors are interested in pitching a story, they know that our door is always open to them. As for giving them criticism without hurting their feelings - we drastically cut back on the name-calling and general belittling (they’re actors, not writers after all) and usually make them do a shot of Jack Daniels for every script note we give.

Lauriel writes: “With different writers doing different episodes, is it difficult to keep characters, well, in character? do the actors have input into this, or do the writers all have a pretty good feel for the characters?”

Answer: I’d say that at this point, we all have a fairly firm grasp of the characters. All the same, we’re not above letting the actors tweak their own dialogue.

Jen, the cow hugger writes: “1) Do you ever go to any of the conventions? 2) Do you watch any of SCI-FI's other shows? 3)What would you do with a billion dollars?”

Answers: 1) Not really. Although I’ll probably be doing Anime Evolution this summer. 2) Nope. 3) Go on a round-the-world gourmet tour before coming back home to green-light my own original series.

Anonymous #3 writes: “Well, I will ask again * I am persistant* Is the father of Teyla's baby a human??”

“*sigh* Here's something for you to think about... do you really want this question answered? Do you really want the detailed answer to a major Season 4 plot point now, months before the episode is going to air?

Spoilers are one thing - and I admit I love a good hint or spoiler or two - but asking for details of major plot points is self-defeating.. a) because it's common sense that Joe is never going to answer them and b) because what would be the point of watching the show if you already know all the answers? You do want to watch the show, don't you?”

Is Alipeeps your agent/friend/hired gun, obsessed fan-type, or what? I can't stand it when other people are constantly horning in to make a response to what someone else has asked you directly.”

Answer: I couldn’t agree more. In answer to your question about Teyla’s baby -
                            Do you really want the detailed answer to a major Season 4 plot point now, months before the episode is going to air? Spoilers are one thing - but asking for details of major plot points is self-defeating.. a) because I will never answer them and b) because what would be the point of watching the show if you already know all the answers? You do want to watch the show, don't you?
                            Last edited by PG15; 15 May 2007, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by xfkirsten View Post
                              Does that apply to having multiple TVs in the same house, then? We have four TVs in our house, and there are many instances in which all four TVs are running at once. Does that mean that we'd all have to be watching the same channel?
                              if/when you have digital cable, you can watch as many channels at the same time as you are willing to pay to have decoders for.

so, if you have digital cable and get one decoder/dvr with your service, you can pay a fee a month to have more, in our area it's $5 per decoder per month...so if you want to watch 2 shows at once, you are expected to pay $5 a month for the privilege of seeing/taping more than one show at a time

Often times their decoder/dvr is also a dead end...ie you can't transfer the show to a vcr tape or dvd recorder, you can only watch it off that dvr. thus things like 'ok mom, you're going on vacation, i'll tape your shows for you' can't happen. if 'mom' wants to see her shows, she'll have to come over to your place

sigpic

Comment

*grins*
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X